follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
scionhobokenD

Drives: 2013 scion frs 6 speed manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need 4 new tires 2013 frs advice?

I need Tires!!

hey all, havent been on the site in a while

My 2013 frs has 63 thousand miles on it and now needs 4 new tires.

Before I do so, could any of you advise a good tire and brand?

Im in the northeast near NYC . rain ,snow ( but rarely drive in it),
and all the rest in dusty dirty bad pot hole part of the USA

many thanks
doug
scionhobokenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #2
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...4dUDCA0&uact=5
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:33 PM   #3
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionhobokenD View Post
Before I do so, could any of you advise a good tire and brand?

Im in the northeast near NYC . rain ,snow ( but rarely drive in it),
and all the rest in dusty dirty bad pot hole part of the USA
I wouldn't get fixated on a specific brand, all the big names make some great tires and some crap tires...

For your usage I would stick with either Ultra High Performance All Season or perhaps even High Performance All Season.

Go to Tire Rack website and compare tires specifically looking at test results, also customer survey results. Lots of good info there..
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
scionhobokenD (01-20-2021), soundman98 (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 04:14 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Zdan said it best. Find something that's in your price range and has good reviews.
The plug I typically give is to stick with the Hankook V2 Concept 2 if you want a decent all season tire. I've bounced around on a lot of different tires on a lot of different cars; that tire seems to be the most competent and cost effective for light snow/rain/summer that I've ridden on.

I still will advise to never drive an all-season tire on snow if you can avoid it. The reduction in your braking traction is the sole reason why; you really should consider a second set of wheels and dedicated winter tires if you plan on seeing winter/ice conditions based on your demographic. You will thank yourself for the security on that day you need to make an emergency trip in the snow and need to worry a lot less about your traction because you made the executive call to get snow tires. This also lets you beef you your traction in the summer with UHP summer tires that are awesome in the rain and awesome in the dry.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:21 PM   #5
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Zdan said it best. Find something that's in your price range and has good reviews.
The plug I typically give is to stick with the Hankook V2 Concept 2 if you want a decent all season tire. I've bounced around on a lot of different tires on a lot of different cars; that tire seems to be the most competent and cost effective for light snow/rain/summer that I've ridden on.

I still will advise to never drive an all-season tire on snow if you can avoid it. The reduction in your braking traction is the sole reason why; you really should consider a second set of wheels and dedicated winter tires if you plan on seeing winter/ice conditions based on your demographic. You will thank yourself for the security on that day you need to make an emergency trip in the snow and need to worry a lot less about your traction because you made the executive call to get snow tires. This also lets you beef you your traction in the summer with UHP summer tires that are awesome in the rain and awesome in the dry.
that's very application specific.

if you have packed snow, and they sand the roads, not salt, absolutely.

but in my area, it snows one day, and it's cleaned up/salted within 6 hours, max. there's absolutely no reason to be running snow tires in my area. all seasons are perfectly fine. i've even tried running snows. they end up wearing out on dry pavement during just the winter season.

and half the people in my area are running bald or summer tires in the snow, so the majority of the time, i can stop faster than everyone else anyways.
Ramster (01-22-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 06:27 AM   #6
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
If you don't want to change seasonal tires & want something that you can use all year round, then you may wanna go with the actual 4-seasons called ALL-WEATHER ( unlike "all-season" which is actually just 3-seasons) like NOKIAN WRG4 which perform better than All-seasons especially in the winter
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:30 PM   #7
soundman98

when did they start making 'all weather' tires? tire rack doesn't even seem to have a category for that...
Old 01-21-2021, 11:11 PM   #8
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
when did they start making 'all weather' tires? tire rack doesn't even seem to have a category for that...
It might be a new marketing shtick that Nokian came up with. They advertise both "All Season" and "All Weather" tires.

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/pa...weather-tires/

According to Consumer Reports, "All Weather" is a subset of "Performance All-Season".

https://www.consumerreports.org/tire...ll-year-round/

In their testing the Michelin CrossClimate + came in first with the Nokian WRG4 at 4th out of 5.

What ever.

Last edited by LimitedSlip; 01-21-2021 at 11:22 PM.
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:00 AM   #9
soundman98

It's just plain confusing to me.

I bet I could call any tire dealer..

"Hi, I'm looking to purchase a set of all weather tires"

"Yessir, we've got a number of all season tires in stock, what car are these for?"

"No no, I need ALL WEATHER tires. I was told they're better than all season tires"

"I can assure you sir, our all season tires do work in all weather conditions".......
LimitedSlip (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 03:57 AM   #10
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Because the American market is very slow to adapt (does the more accurate metric system ring a bell?). All-weathers have been around for some time now (2015 I think) especially in Europe where there are so much more tyre types depending on climactic conditions. We have them here in Canada too. NOKIAN TYRES, the Finnish tyre company that actually developed the first winter tyres some time in 1930's, is one of the top developers of All-Weathers (WRG3, WRG4) & winter/snow (Hakkapeiitta). Others big name may not be into all-weathers because of the low-demand &/or low-awareness of their target market.

Apparently, different tires are developed depending on the market: North American, Nordic, & Central European.

This summarizes the difference between all-season (usually has M+S & no 3 mt-peak-snow flake symbol on widewall) , all-weather (w/ 3-mt peak snow flake), & winter tires (w/ 3-mt peak snow flake):
https://www.canadadrives.ca/blog/mai...s-winter-tires

For more in-depth differences amongst summer, all-season, all-weather, winter, snow tyres, and their sub-categories, checkout www.tyrereviews.co.uk
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter

Last edited by sygfrid; 01-22-2021 at 05:23 AM.
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013 frs, all weather, northeast, tires