follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
showbe
Banned

Drives: A nice one
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil Filter with Magnet built in for break in?

http://www.eliteetc.com/oilfilters.html

Does anyone have experience with these filters before? Will they be better when breaking in your engine? It says this on their site

Quote:
Magnetic Filtration System – The Tempest™ Original filter has more media area (311square inches) than any other aviation oil filter. An internal magnet, designed to attract fine steel particles too small to be caught by the filter media that can be harmful to the engine, effectively increases the filtration performance of the filter.
Since the metal shavings are caught during engine break in would this be better then buying a filter mag since most of the metal shavings are caught during the engine break in period?

I was debating getting one since a Filter Mag does the same thing but it would really be only useful for the beginning of the lifetimes car. A magnetic drain plug could be used after break in period. Filter Mags are so expensive and this looks like a good option if you dont want to spend 50 bucks on a filter mag. But need some opinions or first hand experiences before purchasing one.

Also read in another thread about Cusco and HKS filters but they are so expensive. Not sure about Tempest pricing though. Would these filters be as effective as a filter mag or putting Neodymium Magnets or perhaps even HDD magnets(saw this in another thread and OP says the magets are VERY strong, another poster replies and said heat from engine would make it weal but HDD's do get pretty hot so that shouldnt really be an issue)? I am only worried about engine break in metal shavings. Might as well get a filter mag if you get a Cusco oil filter. Was thinking of maybe an HKS or Tempest if they are any good

Last edited by showbe; 09-24-2012 at 11:13 PM.
showbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
I think a magnet in the system is never a bad idea, however not all particles that float around in the oil will be magnetic, so it will not trap everything, and I do think going with a really good filter would be more ideal than a bad filter with a magnet. Now I have never used or heard of the Tempest filter, so I cannot comment on that, but I guess I would prefer to go with a brand that has been proven to work well.

Also have you looked into a re-usable magnet, like one in the drain plug, or Dimple's "Black hole" magnets that you can stick anywhere, filter or otherwise? They might be a better option as you are still going to pick up the magnetic materials, and then go with a really good filter to get the rest

Thanks,
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think the three other magnet oil filter threads might help you.