follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-26-2020, 03:52 AM   #85
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
@LancePower
Need google share to view it.... share it same way you did before.

I don't know if this is 100% accurate, IAM effect is kind of complicated and hard to explain. the basics is it is pulling timing if its under 1.
but
the effects it has is calculated off of a portion of total timing. If at 1 IAM and WOT you have 25 total peak timing. There is a parameter (not sure what it was called) that is adding something like 7 degrees of timing at 100% IAM or 1 IAM. when IAM is at .7 or 70% of that 7 degrees which is 4.9, so 7 - 4.9 = 2.1, so 2.1 degrees of timing would be pulled from that 25 and you would be at 22.9 degrees of timing.This might not exactly 100% accurate but its the basic gist of what is happening, its basically a percentage of a smaller portion of total timing. the difference between .7 IAM and 1 IAM is like 3-4% less max power or about 5-7whp NA.

Sorry, I think I've updated the settings so it can be downloaded.

So it sounds like you definitely want your tune to start at 1.0 IAM.

I always thought the old v2 tunes felt better than the v4 tunes, now I know why.

After driving around with the data monitor for a few days I've realized I would never get the IAM from .7 to 1 during my normal drive cycle.
LancePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #86
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePower View Post
Sorry, I think I've updated the settings so it can be downloaded.

So it sounds like you definitely want your tune to start at 1.0 IAM.

I always thought the old v2 tunes felt better than the v4 tunes, now I know why.

After driving around with the data monitor for a few days I've realized I would never get the IAM from .7 to 1 during my normal drive cycle.
ideally yes, its set to .7 to be a one size fits all tune, it allows people to use 91 octane on a slightly more aggressive tune, so people with better octane can make more power accordingly.

how long did you drive prier to this log? and did you stop driving when log ended, or keep driving and it eventually hit 1?

your log starts at .95 IAM so I cant see every instance of it going up, and the specific parameters that triggered it. but It went from .95 to .96 then .99 during 2 of the 20-40% throttle accelerations. I think it prefers ramping into the throttle as apposed to backing off. looks like you start at 40% and back off to 20% at higher rpm on a few of them as apposed to the opposite, starting at 20% then slowly pressing more to be at 40% before shifting.

But now you know the basic idea of what triggers it to go up you, and how long it should take if doing this procedure. Just need to drive like that normally and it should go to 1 IAM right around the same time as your oil hits safe temps to start getting on it.

The good news is have yet to see it drop (althought havent seen it at 1 yet). So you could have someone modify the tune to start at a higher IAM or even at 1. and just monitor it for a few days to see if IAM ever drops. Small occasional drops are somewhat normal and not that big of deal. Especially if it happens at partial throttle, WOT drops are more concerning. but 2k-3k RPM low throttle at just enough to slowly accelerate can often get IAM to drop especially in 5+ gear.

My custom tune starts at .85, pulling out of my neighborhood the 1st acceleration getting up to 35 mph goes to .97 and the 2nd acceleration gets it to 1 every time. So you can change how sensitive it is.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #87
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,651 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
It looks like the timing is a little too aggressive. You can see in the FLKC(fine learned knock correction) column some values in the -2 range from 5000-5500rpm. This will keep your IAM from going to 1. Also need to compare the KC learned from the log to another table in the tune. Not hurting the car, the ECU is pretty good at compensating, but it does look like it needs tamed down a touch or to go back to the other tune.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #88
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the break down, guys.

So it looks like it is back to Stage 1.

Drove about 15 minutes prior to starting the Log.

Only drove a few minutes after ending the Log.

It hit 1.0 before I ended the Log.
LancePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #89
ThatYeti

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To be clear as we concluding that the '17+ cars are still helped by aftermarket cats? Or that the OFT Stage2 tune is a little less than perfect on them?
ThatYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #90
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,651 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatYeti View Post
To be clear as we concluding that the '17+ cars are still helped by aftermarket cats? Or that the OFT Stage2 tune is a little less than perfect on them?
Don't know for sure.

The extra timing and more aggressive intake cam angle doesn't seem to play nice with the restriction of the stock cat in the header.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #91
ThatYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Don't know for sure.

The extra timing and more aggressive intake cam angle doesn't seem to play nice with the restriction of the stock cat in the header.
Any chance we can get similar data from someone on a '17+ with an non-stock header to compare?
Old 05-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #92
ThatYeti

Bump, just looking to finalize this, anyone with a '17 that has a non-stock header who can help us out with some data?