follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 11-06-2019, 02:23 AM   #29
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
Good one! Have the coach show you how to read data properly.

Also, there is a bunch of literature out there. Speed Secrets Ultimate by Ross Bently is my favorite. I read is every off-season.
There's the level of data where you just read speed/throttle/brake/g-force traces, and then a level of data where you can go deeper into dampers, wheel speeds, cause and effect, and truly exploit the nuances of each individual car and track.

Scary part, is that this is all with data from a $700 AIM Solo/Solo2 DL.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
HachirocksU (11-22-2019), Takumi788 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 02:24 AM   #30
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Coaching is good, not all coaches are good coaches, not all of them are focused on making you faster, some only know how to make you safer.

Mods are great as well, I believe improving the car along with the driver is a more effective way than to try and squeeze every ounce of performance of an otherwise stock car before changing anything.
Absolutely this.

Just how there are drivers all across the scale, there are coaches all across the spectrum as well.

Remember that most volunteer coaches primarily coach to get themselves cheaper/free track days! Many of them do have your best interest at heart, but watch for the ones who really don't care. Also, get input from MANY different experienced drivers and coaches.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 02:29 AM   #31
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
You don't need a "pro" all you need is a dude/chick that has way more track time and fast times just teach you some tips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
"Pro" coaching seems silly (unless this is for a 5yr old on karts with aspirations to be in F1). Just have a more experience driver ride along and/or become a passenger for a session. Watch a ton of videos. Keep it simple and fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
Most track days offer free coaching
the old adage of "you get what you pay for" applies here. Not needing a pro coach is akin not not needing track brake pads to be on track.

The difference is a good pro will VERY quickly eliminate your bad habits, and give you plenty to work on going forward past the single day of coaching, that a volunteer coach will likely not see.

Someone who relies on coaching to make a living is far more incentivised to give the best possible experience, whereas a volunteer coach really suffers no consequence whether their student does well or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (11-06-2019), Takumi788 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 07:28 AM   #32
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Minimal track experience, but lots of autocross. And some coaching experience and formal coaching training outside of motorsports.

I think where free instruction sometimes comes short is there is often a one size fits all approach. Even with the best intentions, your instructor may not have the time or the broader perspective to learn and to cater to your goals, your learning style, your language, and your experience level.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #33
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apelsin View Post
I'd like that, a car which is more fun and helps focus on driving. But can you be more specific as to what exactly is a properly modified car?
Basically I mean a car that you don't have to worry about and you're not driving around major short comings.

So proper cooling and brakes you can trust are obvious things, but also a good alignment that allows you to get the most out of your tires. Tires that can take a little heat and don't go off too quickly. Also continued proper maintenance.

Your alignment and suspension should be built around your tire choice. Brakes too. For example, really sticky tires will still go fast on stock suspension, but you'll be wearing them unevenly and the chassis will be moving around a ton.

Data analysis helps a lot for both driver improvement and car set up, and there are different levels of that.

On that note, lots of suspension adjustment points are great when you understand what's happening to the car and can confidently make changes. This means knowing what you're going to affect directly and indirectly, in each phase of a corner AND how it will affect other corners. If you're not fully understanding what's happening to the car and what you're doing to it, more adjustment isn't necessarily better. On the other hand, if you do understand what's going on, more adjustment can unlock more potential in the car. Or work with an experienced suspension tuner.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
HachirocksU (11-22-2019), i8ur911 (11-06-2019), Tristor (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #34
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
the old adage of "you get what you pay for" applies here. Not needing a pro coach is akin not not needing track brake pads to be on track.

The difference is a good pro will VERY quickly eliminate your bad habits, and give you plenty to work on going forward past the single day of coaching, that a volunteer coach will likely not see.

Someone who relies on coaching to make a living is far more incentivised to give the best possible experience, whereas a volunteer coach really suffers no consequence whether their student does well or not.
True. I think it depends on your level of driving. A novice or intermediate may be fine with a track day coach however once past that a pro may be necessary.

A lot of great drivers coach out of financial necessity. They may be phenomenal drivers however that doesn’t always equate to being a great coach. This I was told by one of the best drivers\coaches in the biz, not from personal experience.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-10-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #35
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
They may be phenomenal drivers however that doesn’t always equate to being a great coach.
This is true about a lot of things in life. Some people just can't teach.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #36
Apelsin

Drives: Jeep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

PM me and we can discuss your coaching needs, and see if I'm a potential good fit.
PM sent but not sure it can work out since we are on opposite coasts. Any recommendations on how to find a pro coach on the east coast?
Apelsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #37
i8ur911

Drives: 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Garage
Quote:
PM sent but not sure it can work out since we are on opposite coasts. Any recommendations on how to find a pro coach on the east coast?
Where are you on the east coast, North or South?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
i8ur911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:40 PM   #38
Apelsin

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
Where are you on the east coast, North or South?

Middle
Apelsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #39
i8ur911

Drives: 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Middle
If you're in the NJ area, you can reach out to the local NASA group. I know AZP Installs runs their own events and the owner also tracks am 86.

i8ur911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #40
lextrueno

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Another point that I don't think many have addressed yet is if you live in an area where weather limits track time, it is a good idea to invest into a entry level sim rig. You can get a lot of seat time playing gran turismo or iRacing just by using a decent seat and force feedback wheel. I know this isn't the perfect way to learn/gather data. But I think for the money you can develop your race craft in a fun, safe learning environment with no extra costs for consumables like brakes and tires. Also some coaches can work with you through those games to analyze your line and help you focus on certain aspects of your racing.

Assuming you have nothing:
Racing Seat with mounts for wheel/pedals - $230-$500 dollars
Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari - $400
PS4 with Gran Turismo -$330 (Black Friday sales would be a good time to pick one up)

Last edited by lextrueno; 11-11-2019 at 06:15 AM.
lextrueno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lextrueno For This Useful Post:
HachirocksU (11-22-2019), strat61caster (11-10-2019), TunaNoCrust (11-11-2019)