follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #141
Mr 286

Drives: 2014 Camry SE V6 | 1991 MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew20195 View Post
While checking valve clearance is only a bit more difficult (with the engine in the car), the engine must be removed to adjust clearance. This engine does not use screw adjusters, it uses select thickness valve stem caps. So basically you have to measure clearance, do math, then (most likely) order parts as a full set of caps is several thousand dollars. Parts managers generally don't like to have that kind of excess inventory laying around.

Once parts come in you must remove the engine and put it on a stand. Next remove the timing cover and the timing chains. This will allow you to remove the cam carriers, one head at a time as it must be facing up so the rockers don't fall off and get mixed up. Swap out the caps, reassemble, and recheck.

I'm sure you can tell I've done it a few times.

It's not particularly difficult, but it is time consuming.
Yeah, I've done it before too when switching out for shim-less buckets. Those sets are pricey. It is definitely a lot more time consuming than just using a feeler gauge and swapping out shims using a big screwdriver and magnet.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #142
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Dealerships doing work like replacing shortblocks or heads is always an iffy proposition. I've heard a few stories, and even some in this thread about engines failing a couple times with the second failure being caused by the work being done.

There are all kinds of small oil passages used for the cams, I wouldn't doubt if there was metal in the pan there is metal in the passages. You also have the effect of Toyota techs working on a Subaru engine. Subaru has been using the same stuff for years now and may know what to look for and what to clean, etc.

It could very well be the tunes are too aggressive for high temps and 91 octane, Subaru has certainly done that before...
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #143
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I worked at a toyota dealer many years ago and would like to add to @dwx s comment. I got the job because my neighbour was also the service manager and spent a lot of time being woken up by the sound of some pretty cool Toyota engines I had built in my parents driveway. After working at the dealer for a few months I was sent to toyota tech school and ended up being the engine guy at the dealer. I did every engine rebuild that came through in the two years I was there. All four of them. 2 of them celica gts motors.
Now this was along time ago I still doubt toyota techs get a lot of practice rebuilding engines, let alone the fa20. Which unless you are a race shop or Subaru herself can be a little tricky to get truely right. My 2cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #144
polarstorm

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
Please post the proof.
My car... piston blew through the manifold, yeah that's what it looks like.

I want to mod this car but can't do so until the warranty is expired, otherwise the manufacturer will hide behind the fact that the car has been modded (obvious statement?).

I still love the car!
Attached Images

polarstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #145
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 286 View Post
Add mine to the list of engine failures.
Here are my specs for those curious:

2013 FR-S 6MT
38,000 miles all scheduled maintenance performed
USDM TRD Exhaust
Completely stock otherwise
Original brakes and tires ~25% life remaining
Daily driven, no racing

Warranty issues serviced:
Replaced fuel pump for cricket noise (didn't resolve issue)
Replaced both tail lamp assemblies for water leaks (leaked again anyway lol)
Retorque loose rear axle nut for clank sound during accel/decel

One accident - pickup truck backed into it
$11,000 in parts/labor. Non mechanical
99% cosmetic aside from new fuse block and complete engine harness

So the story is, I was cruising around 45 mph, heard a light rattle from the engine compartment. Pulled over to inspect with my flashlight. Didn't see anything out of place. Pulled away slowly, rattling got more harsh followed by a squeak and car hesitated. Shut down engine and coasted to side of the road. Towed to dealer. Now I'm waiting for word from Toyota next week about going forward with an engine replacement.

In the meantime, back to driving my 22 year old MR2 Turbo still running strong with the original engine lol
This scares me! Another reason I gotta get the FRS out tracking within the warranty period to see if it'll live up to giving it hell.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #146
JakeG

Drives: MY15 GTS 6AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
the crickets attack!
Old 06-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #147
Mr 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarstorm View Post
My car... piston blew through the manifold, yeah that's what it looks like.

I want to mod this car but can't do so until the warranty is expired, otherwise the manufacturer will hide behind the fact that the car has been modded (obvious statement?).

I still love the car!
Ouch, when did that happen?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #148
Mr 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
This scares me! Another reason I gotta get the FRS out tracking within the warranty period to see if it'll live up to giving it hell.
For the most part it should hold up, but I have my doubts about the lubrication system on the FA20. Sigh ... wish I could examine the parts bin of all the motors that were torn down due to failures so I could see if there is some systemic issue with oil starvation.

A friend of mine who purchased a Hot Lava FR-S found metal bits in his oil pan after several thousands miles as well. He ended up trading the car in for a WRX sometime last year I think.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #149
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 286 View Post
For the most part it should hold up, but I have my doubts about the lubrication system on the FA20. Sigh ... wish I could examine the parts bin of all the motors that were torn down due to failures so I could see if there is some systemic issue with oil starvation.

A friend of mine who purchased a Hot Lava FR-S found metal bits in his oil pan after several thousands miles as well. He ended up trading the car in for a WRX sometime last year I think.
Seriously! I was hoping this engine was a winner. Did you do any tracking with your car? This is very discouraging seeing the amount of engine failures since the release of this car.

I do plan to beat the shit out of mine this summer to see if it can survive. I do have some doubts about this fake Toyota as Subaru's from what I've come to know have been problematic in the past for many folks. Like ej25 headgasket failures and sti blown ringlands. Was never a Subaru person to be honest. Way to complex to achieve similar results as inlines.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #150
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
^^ Look at the number of failures compared to the number of cars sold, and compare that to similar cars and I doubt the failure rate is that high.

Every single event I've been to has had at least half a dozen FRS/BRZ's at it both track and autoslalom. I'm at ~67k km's on mine with exactly zero issues. Still on the original HPFP as well. The only thing that was replaced under warranty was a tail light.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (06-10-2014), HunterGreene (06-10-2014), strat61caster (06-10-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #151
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
I'm at 380wtq and 9, 000miles of abuse no issues here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2014, 01:53 AM   #152
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Then maybe all these exploded motors have been blown way out of proportion. Just seems like somebody somewhere is blowing one up every week. I'm still confident that only a very tiny percentage of these cars are problematic though. But stories like these always linger in the back of my mind and put me into a state of paranoia .
Old 06-10-2014, 03:07 AM   #153
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Then maybe all these exploded motors have been blown way out of proportion. Just seems like somebody somewhere is blowing one up every week. I'm still confident that only a very tiny percentage of these cars are problematic though. But stories like these always linger in the back of my mind and put me into a state of paranoia .
Sure, one gets blown up every week. According to the sales numbers thread there are approximately 425 Toyobaru's sold per week (40,940 units/2 years), that's a 0.2% chance of failure, and that's including owners who reflash the ECU, add Forced Induction, never check the oil, and take their cars racing.

Your worst case scenario doesn't sound so bad, but you're estimating ~204 cars failed since inception which based on these boards sounds low, even if we go 5x which may be a little too far, we get 2.5% of total cars sold with failures. High for a production vehicle but considering how many may be user error... eh, I'm just going to drive the hell out of it.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Davey (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 03:25 AM   #154
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
This makes me think a VTA catch can would be benifitial to all stock 86ers.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown engine