follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Fortune Auto - SpeedFactory Review - Video / Pics - Tracked / Autoxed / Drifted

This review has been a long time coming. We have had The Fortune Auto V4 500 series installed in our silver FRS for 45 days or so now. We have done almost every form of racing with them as well. So, sit tight while I ramble on.

About Fortune:
JB Autosports / FT-86 SpeedFactory has worked with Fortune Auto for awhile now and I have nothing but good things to say about the staff. Everyone is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful at anytime.

Fortune Auto builds these coilovers to order for YOU. This means you get to pick the spring rates, the valving, and add extras like Swift springs, roller bearings, rear extenders and if you don't mind waiting, custom colors. Everything is assembled here in the USA with support you can ask questions to and get answers in plain English.

Just look at their latest video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNWfaPhfPqA"]Fortune Auto - Behind The Build - YouTube[/ame]

About the Coils:
500 series coilovers incorporate a DIGRESSIVE piston, 24-step damping, custom rates & a one year warranty.

Dyno tested
Mono-Tube damper with high pressure nitrogen
24-step rebound adjustable dampers
Spherical Bearings
IP synthetic 5w or 10w shock oil (prevents cavitation and promotes superior heat dissipation)
6061 Forged & Anodized aluminum mounts and front camber plates
Height adjustment independent of pre-load
5 year Manufacturer's Warranty (1 year on piston)
Swift springs upgrade available
Rebuild-able in the USA
Re-valveable in the USA

Photo Time!

About the coils we installed:
We worked with Fortune and got a custom spring rate for our car. We use the vehicle for track days and some autocross duty so we needed something to assist with getting some quicker lap times.

Track
First test we did was hitting MAM outside of Omaha, NE. We were running an SCCA Time Trial event that weekend. The car had the Fortune Auto Coilovers, Dunlop Star Specs (225/45/17), DBA T3 Rotors, Hawk HP+ up front, stainless lines, and an aFe panel filter.

We ran the car fairly hard during qualifying and landed the car in the 6th position behind a LS1 Miata, Z06 Corvette, two Evos, and a 2011 STI. By the end of the sessions we finished 6th out of 14 all behind cars that there was no chance of catching. We were only .3 off 5th place which was that 2011 STI with KW's, and a ton more power so that was nice. When the Time Trial organizers applied the PAX they were using we landed 2nd overall behind that pesky Z06.

The coils preformed great. The car still had some weight transfer which I like. Overall a massive improvement.

Installed and then set ride height.

Video on Track:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j93Xn7y8ZfA"]FT-86 SpeedFactory at MAM - Scion FRS Time Trial - YouTube[/ame]

AutoX
Then it was off to an Autocross where we ended up paxing in STX at the top. I took the car to a 6th over all PAX and Brooke our ladies driver finished 9th in PAX out of 48 drivers.

The car was way more solid than before without coils. Made autocrossing even more fun and way more competitive. Cannot wait to apply more suspension mods to this for next years STX campaign.

Some Photos from that event:

Drift
After that we went and held a Drift event for the local drifters and gave the car a shot around that course. We're not huge drifters ourselves but the car did what it needed to to get the job done and was a fun time.

Daily Drive
We have about 3000 miles on these coils with DD use in mind and it rides great. I've had people even say it still feels like a stock FRS for the daily commute, which is important. Not harsh at all for a coilover with the higher spring rates we choose. Have taken long road trips 300+ miles and not even a clue it's on coilovers which is the way it should be!

Installed Video covering a couple key features:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN_Pg5vqOf8"]Fortune Auto - Scion FRS and Subaru BRZ - YouTube[/ame]

Wrap Up
If you are on a budget, actually want a car that handles well, and want the adjust-ability of a coilover; then Fortune Auto's are for you. In our honest opinion for under $1200 these are the best coilover out there.

Any more questions comments, post them up. Here to answer.

Last edited by FT-86 SpeedFactory; 11-12-2012 at 11:22 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FT-86 SpeedFactory For This Useful Post:
dabocx (11-13-2012), JMon85 (02-21-2018)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
*KID*
86-er

Drives: BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
how much did you lower the car from factory point
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KID* View Post
how much did you lower the car from factory point
1.125 all around.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'd be curious how these stack up with the FEAL 441's in a low budget coil battle. They are the only two options that I think are even worth mentioning for an adjustable unit under $1700 or so. For non adjustable the ST's/KW Variant 1's are the best choice if you NEED height adjustment.

Nathan
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Any chance you've got quantitative measurements (time or skidpad numbers) before and after? The more I hear about these, the more they seem like a really solid option, especially if you opt for the swift springs.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Any chance you've got quantitative measurements (time or skidpad numbers) before and after? The more I hear about these, the more they seem like a really solid option, especially if you opt for the swift springs.
Unfortunately not. I can guarantee you that there is serious improvements. Only because I have been behind the seat stock vs the coilovers.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Future

Drives: BRZ!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have them on my brz with Swift springs upgrade.. They are amazing. In my s13, i prefer them to apex'i, cusco and tein. Feels stock on the street and predictable on the track
Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Besides oiling what are the differences between these and the 510 series?

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
Unfortunately not. I can guarantee you that there is serious improvements. Only because I have been behind the seat stock vs the coilovers.
Cool, thanks! Are yours the "stock" springs, or swift springs?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
vubaru
Now with Boost!

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
What is the highest ride height (in terms of drop in inches over stock) that you can select with the Fortune's? I'm in a state where the roads are crappy and I'd like to maintain as close to stock ride height as possible.

The Fortune's caught my eye early on but this review is starting to get my interest going. Stock-like ride is a huge plus.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Hopefully going to order these next week along with the swift spring upgrade.
The Following User Says Thank You to dabocx For This Useful Post:
FT-86 SpeedFactory (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Cool, thanks! Are yours the "stock" springs, or swift springs?
We are running the FA springs right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vubaru View Post
What is the highest ride height (in terms of drop in inches over stock) that you can select with the Fortune's? I'm in a state where the roads are crappy and I'd like to maintain as close to stock ride height as possible.

The Fortune's caught my eye early on but this review is starting to get my interest going. Stock-like ride is a huge plus.
The highest is 1" lower than stock we are told. We're at a 1.125 drop right now and think that is pretty good. We'll get back out testing this spring again as well. Right now it's pretty cold and could snow at any moment here in Iowa, plus all the tracks are closed up now.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
vubaru
Now with Boost!

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
The highest is 1" lower than stock we are told. We're at a 1.125 drop right now and think that is pretty good. We'll get back out testing this spring again as well. Right now it's pretty cold and could snow at any moment here in Iowa, plus all the tracks are closed up now.
1" isn't so bad but that probably rules out about 1/3 of all driveways and approaches in Nor Cal. The sacrifices we have to make...

I grew up back east. I don't miss the snow-- CA is great for driving year round unless you're in Tahoe in winter!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
thebear21

Drives: scion fr-s (RIP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
looks pretty sweet. def looking for mostly a DD with spirited driving! these might be it.
The Following User Says Thank You to thebear21 For This Useful Post:
FT-86 SpeedFactory (11-14-2012)

Closed Thread