follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #15
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
It's not all a good thing. We've already reached the point of diminished returns. At this point cars are becoming so heavy, and have thick pillars for crash worthiness - making outward visibility more difficult. Outward visibility is a safety measure itself, and now we have to rely on cameras? Beyond that, people rely too much on their car's active and passive safety systems, and neglect their own driving ability.

Sheer idiocy. And the average sports car enthusiast could give two sh*ts about it as well...
I can attest to this. A few summers ago, my company was using rental vehicles instead of leases like they are now. I had a few different rentals (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Yukon XL, Expedition XL, etc). The Yukon had things like vibrating seats when you started to wander in your lane, vibrating seats+back up camera+radar for backing and blind spot monitors. While I'm not against blind spot monitoring, it all kind of adds up to the fact that drivers are becoming less skilled and relying a lot more on aids.

My coworker who doesn't care about cars, except point A to point B, absolutely loved having those things. Me, on the other hand, I was alright with having them, but I didn't care for them, and they're not something I'd actively look for, or pay to add on to a new vehicle purchase.

In terms of a supplement to skill, they're not bad. It's when you start relying on these things, and stop checking your blind spots, aren't able to back up without a camera and can't stay in your lane that they become a problem.

I'd also like to point out that my lifted work truck, while greatly improving far visibility has drastically reduced my near visibility. Can't see half the cars brake lights, or signals that are within 10-15 feet of me when I'm driving.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #16
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
We dont have a FT-1.

All we have is a f_king sweet _ss concept that has been floating around 3 years now with no significant development.

Its really pissed me off as I want one very badly.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #17
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
We dont have a FT-1.

All we have is a f_king sweet _ss concept that has been floating around 3 years now with no significant development.

Its really pissed me off as I want one very badly.
Fair enough - but I think the FT-1 has a much greater chance of being made into a production model with Akio at the helm (certainly better than under Watanabe, who basically put all Toyota's sports cars out to pasture).

Honestly, I'd be really surprised if the FT-1 doesn't make it to production.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote