follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
kalamitykode
I draiv de cah

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Front LCAs

I'm currently in the process of stocking up on parts, gonna put them on all at once so I can do just one alignment. I have no experience doing this sort of thing so I'm getting help from a few different people around town (none of which own an 86). For reference, the parts I currently have, which aren't installed yet, are:

BC Racing BR Series Coilovers
AC Delco Camber Bolt Kit (x2)
Voodoo 13 Rear Trailing Arms
Voodoo 13 Rear Toe Rods
PBM Rear Lower Control Arms
Megan Racing Rack End Spacers

I plan to only drop about 1-1.5 inches. I don't track my car, I don't drift, and I generally don't even street race. It's just my daily driver, that I drive hard day to day. I've done enough research on here to know around what camber and toe measurements I should work towards. I'm on stock wheels and tires for right now, which is my next focus.

The reason I've spent about $2k so far is because I want to be absolutely sure I'm doing this right, since it's my only vehicle. I want to have everything adjustable so I can easily make corrections when/if needed.

Now to the question: Do I need front LCAs? Would they really help in any way? I've only come across two brands, Buddy Club ($405) and Megan Racing ($505) so I assume it's really not all that common. Most builds I've seen on here only include the rear LCAs and coilovers or aftermarket springs, so I'm wondering if I even went overboard getting the trailing arms and toe rods. The spacers are for the inevitable urge to drift at some point, just an overall enhancement just in case.

If I could find a pair for $200 or so this wouldn't be such an issue but after 2-3 months of buying parts I really don't want to spend another $400 on something I don't need. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, input, criticisms, hot fiyah mixtapes?
Old 09-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The trailing arms and toe rods are a bit overboard IMO but you've got em so might as well put em on. I wouldn't see any appreciable benefits for a daily driver.
Front LCA are way overkill for a DD. I would get the Whiteline roll center kit, more affordable way to correct your front geometry, but even then I wouldn't say its absolutely necessary for your planned drop.
kbye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbye For This Useful Post:
kalamitykode (09-03-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
If you have solid, that is rose jointed, front lower control arms you remove any give in the arms. This means if you hit a major pot hole or hit a curb just that little too hard while parking something is going to bend. As @kbye said aftermarket front lca are not needed or provide any benefit for street cars. Get upgraded bushes and leave it at that.

Have a read of this thread :
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50390

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
kalamitykode (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 02:41 AM   #4
kalamitykode
I draiv de cah

Garage
Great advice, both of you. Thank you! Saved me from wasting money, haha.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:54 AM   #5
kalamitykode
I draiv de cah

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
If you have solid, that is rose jointed, front lower control arms you remove any give in the arms. This means if you hit a major pot hole or hit a curb just that little too hard while parking something is going to bend. As @kbye said aftermarket front lca are not needed or provide any benefit for street cars. Get upgraded bushes and leave it at that.

Have a read of this thread :
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50390
So I'm not 100% sure here what I'm looking for (again, no experience with this stuff) but I was looking around at different shops and came across two items. First is the "Whiteline Control Arm Inner Bushing." I'm assuming this is what you were referring to, but I'd like to be sure. The next thing I came across was the "Whiteline Anti-Dive Caster Kit" which adds 0.5 degrees of caster.

The pictures and descriptions are a bit vague and generic, so I'm not sure if these two products would even be installed in the same spot or if they're completely separate. Would you recommend either, or both? Am I even headed in the right direction?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:27 AM   #6
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
My impression is that Whiteline's anti-dive claim is marketing twaddle. Sure, it might add 1/2 degree when static but I have no idea what happens under dynamic conditions. Let me stress I do not know, it is only conjecture on my part.

There are 2 bushes on the front lower control arm. Front and rear. Whiteline refers to these as "Front Control arm - lower inner front bushing" (KCA434) and "Front Control arm - lower inner rear bushing" (W0509)

Upgrading both bushes on the front lca has positive benefit for feel.
Whiteline make bushes for both front and rear (no point only doing one) but there are many other brands available.

I would also suggest a tower brace. This has a noticeable effect on the way the front end feels but doesn't appear to have any objective performance benefit. Have a read of this monster thread:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33233

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
kalamitykode (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
kalamitykode
I draiv de cah

Garage
Awesome, I think that answers all my questions. Much appreciated!