follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #155
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjonny View Post
Wait for the first rich person to get Ebola and watch how fast a vaccine comes out for it.

Not true! unless Magic is secretely keeping the HIV vaccine from the world.....

The Following User Says Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
airjonny (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #156
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Mutation is driven by two things--random mutation and environmental pressure. Environmental pressure, aka darwinism/evolution, even with a large population, takes time to result in a fundamental change. The chances of ebola making that sudden leap through evolution are, for all intents and purposes, impossible.
Did you forget the part of the math where there are likely more ebala virons in existence on this planet right now then the total combined number of them to have EVER existed?

Quote:
In the case of random mutation, of course anything is possible.
And probable.

Quote:
No, the nurses who caught ebola were exposed to him (if this is the correct story) before they had proper isolation and personal protective equipment. They were in close, personal contact with him in order to treat him.
NO - the nurses who are sick now were in full protective gear when they contracted the virus. The NPR story I listened to this morning mentioned that the virus likely entered via the skin where the nurses used medical TAPE to cover exposed skin in their necks. Peeling away the tape removed the top layer of epidermis making theme more susceptible to the virus entering via the skin. I am just repeating what was said n NPR (not FOX).

Quote:

And no, you don't know what "Airborne" is, plainly. Now please do us all a favor and go hunker down and wait for this to blow over. Your misinformation does nothing but cause fear.
So tell me this: If a person can catch a virus from anther person WITHOUT TOUCHING them, WHAT would you call it? "Viral Quantum Tunneling"???

Clearly if the virus moved from one person to another through the AIR it is capable of being AIR-BORNE.
Or are you (like the govt.) redefining what a word means?

And here is some more "misinformation".
They keep talking about it the same as HIV in that it can only be transmitted through "bodily fluids" so everyone thinks "Oh like AIDS".

THIS IS NOT LIKE AIDS! So everyone quit thinking about it like AIDS.
You do NOT have to kiss someone or have sex with them to contract Ebola.

As I said - It has the same transmissibility as the Flu.

If the Flu was "so hard to catch" that we "dont need to worry about it", then WHY does my doctor tell me every year that I should get a flu shot???

How about - "because it is relatively EASY to catch the flu"???
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #157
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
Did you forget the part of the math where there are likely more ebala virons in existence on this planet right now then the total combined number of them to have EVER existed?

And probable.

NO - the nurses who are sick now were in full protective gear when they contracted the virus. The NPR story I listened to this morning mentioned that the virus likely entered via the skin where the nurses used medical TAPE to cover exposed skin in their necks. Peeling away the tape removed the top layer of epidermis making theme more susceptible to the virus entering via the skin. I am just repeating what was said n NPR (not FOX).

So tell me this: If a person can catch a virus from anther person WITHOUT TOUCHING them, WHAT would you call it? "Viral Quantum Tunneling"???

Clearly if the virus moved from one person to another through the AIR it is capable of being AIR-BORNE.

They keep talking about it the same as HIV in that it can only be transmitted through "bodily fluids" so everyone thinks "Oh like AIDS".

If the Flu was "so hard to catch" that we "dont need to worry about it", then WHY does my doctor tell me every year that I should get a flu shot???

You're doing that whole "circular argument" thing that people like to do when they don't have an answer.

Science, while sometimes misused or misquoted, is never wrong. You're working with assumptions instead of facts.

I'm done responding to you. Enjoy living in pure terror.

EDIT: Despite all of this, I hope you and your family stay safe. Your hyper-vigilance, although for the wrong reasons, is not wrong in practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #158
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Exactly. Why i said Ebola is as Ebola Does.

If they wanna stock pile supplies and live in a bunker. Go ahead.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #159
murdoc
Sometimes I'm wrong.

Drives: '13 FR-S/'96 240SX
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

And probable.

Right now the real challenge when it comes to Ebola is fighting it in Africa, where basically every risky behavior you can think of from a public health stand point is commonplace. It has not been shown to be able to spread well in an advanced nation, so the threat to the United States is, at the current time, low. The threat will increase as the number of infected increases, but the virus as it is now should not spread well in our country.

The real issue here is that it's VERY capable of spreading out of control in West Africa, and killing hundreds of thousands if it is not contained.

This will require working with a lot of very poor people who distrust their governments, and in the case of some tribal groups, don't really acknowledge their authority.

It's a shitty situation, but America isn't at much of a risk right now.

...and you can't get AIDS from kissing...unless you're a fan of gnawing on tongues...
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #160
stugray
Banned

Quote:
You're doing that whole "circular argument" thing that people like to do when they don't have an answer.
What is "circular" I took some points you made, and refuted them separately.

Quote:
Science, while sometimes misused or misquoted, is never wrong. You're working with assumptions instead of facts.
Umm science is literally NOT that.

That is funny. You are trying to lecture me about "science" when clearly it is your understanding that is in error.
In "Science" EVERYTHING is theoretical and there is no such thing as a "fact".
ALL of science is about conjecture, test, refinement, and re-test.
You cannot PROVE a theory to be true, you can only prove it false.
So the science will play itself out.
My theory:
this will get a lot worse in the US before it gets better
Many more people in the US will die
Of the people who die, there will be a higher number that chose to "not worry about it" than those that chose to be "hyper-vigilant".

The only way to disprove my theory (using the scientific method) is to wait and see.
One cannot argue away my side or try to state facts because as you said "Science, while sometimes misused or misquoted, is never wrong" as long as it is used as intended.

Quote:
EDIT: Despite all of this, I hope you and your family stay safe. Your hyper-vigilance, although for the wrong reasons, is not wrong in practice.
Thank you! and you as well.
I truly hope I am wrong, but I fear not.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #161
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Stu.. you are an irrational person to say the least.

But you are entitled to those beliefs. What you are NOT entitled to is telling everyone that martial law will be declared in months. and you should all stock pile food and ammuntion while locking your daughters in the basement.

The sheer ignorance and false security in that logic is astounding.

Look; lets humor you and say everything you predict is going to come true. Do you think ANYTHING you have listed as "precautions" are going to change the outcome?

Do you think Stock piling food and ammunition is going to keep you safe and fed? It may for a month, BUT if things get as bad as you predict, that is all its going to do. You are just delaying the inevitable.

But let stu be stu. And if that is going to help him feel better about the situation, then let him feel better.
The Following User Says Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #162
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc View Post
...and you can't get AIDS from kissing...unless you're a fan of gnawing on tongues...
fapfapfap...

BTW, @Atticus808, thanks. It's been stuck in my head "EEEEEEBOLAAAAAAA"
Old 10-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #163
stugray
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
Stu.. you are an irrational person to say the least.
One could make the argument that to tell people that they do not need to worry and do not need to take ANY precautions is the irrational approach.

What if I am wrong and those that say "nothing will happen" are right?
If you follow my lead, NOTHING happens other than the family gets a little more quality time together.

What if I am right and those that say "nothing will happen" are wrong?
If you follow my lead you improve your own chances of survival while helping to not spread the virus making it worse.

So not only is it more "rational" to be concerned but to NOT care at all and to take no precautions is the "less rational" course of action.
I could even make the case that YOU are the one being more irresponsible of the two of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
Do you think Stock piling food and ammunition is going to keep you safe and fed?
Look at it this way: I have always "stockpiled food & ammo" and I have survived 100% of the global pandemics so far
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
pche (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #164
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
It a 'Merican thing to feel a need to bear arms at home.

I'm just making sure my Tim Hortons card is loaded.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
bignrichlll (10-31-2014), Tcoat (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #165
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Quote:
One could make the argument that to tell people that they do not need to worry and do not need to take ANY precautions is the irrational approach.

What if I am wrong and those that say "nothing will happen" are right?
If you follow my lead, NOTHING happens other than the family gets a little more quality time together.

What if I am right and those that say "nothing will happen" are wrong?
If you follow my lead you improve your own chances of survival while helping to not spread the virus making it worse.

So not only is it more "rational" to be concerned but to NOT care at all and to take no precautions is the "less rational" course of action.
I could even make the case that YOU are the one being more irresponsible of the two of us.

Look at it this way: I have always "stockpiled food & ammo" and I have survived 100% of the global pandemics so far

Like i said stu, irrational.

No one is saying do nothing. What people are saying is.... the world is not ending! There will be no zombies, Some guy in digital pajamas is not going to show up to your home and steal your food and rape your daughter.

What I am saying is: You are irrational. Fine be irrational. But don't fear monger. Which is what you are doing.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #166
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
media cannon fodder. i'm not going to downplay the severity of ebola itself, but it's being blown out of proportion by everyone.

headline: Man hospitalized for high fever. Not ebola.

Thing is, they don't even need to toss ebola into the context of the headline, but they will because it catches attention of what's currently "in"
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #167
ciro

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
I think that paranoid guy died from ebola.

Also, I got my flu shot today for the first time in my life. Gottdamn arm is numb as hell now. Damn mercury.

10$ says you get ebola...
ciro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #168
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I haven't done shit and survived.

Tags
maplesyrupyum, my other ride is motaba