follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #99
Ziptied
Information Guru

Drives: 95 Supra Turbo, 85 Corolla GT-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I still don't understand the use of these, you replaced a harmonic balancer, with a crank pulley, which doesnt help counter balance the crank. so you took off a useful part and replaced it with one that could in the long run have negative implications.... brilliant.
Ziptied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ziptied For This Useful Post:
Marrk (10-13-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #100
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Is the pulley undersized, or just lighter weight? I've seen some undersized ones for other cars that slow the accessories down too much at idle so you have charging issues if stuck in traffic, and the AC sucks unless you're revving above ~2500rpm.

From what I can find, this is just lighter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
I still don't understand the use of these, you replaced a harmonic balancer, with a crank pulley, which doesnt help counter balance the crank. so you took off a useful part and replaced it with one that could in the long run have negative implications.... brilliant.

I am not an expert, or an engine whiz, so I have similar questions, so I look forward to anyone's response.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #101
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
I am not an expert, or an engine whiz, so I have similar questions, so I look forward to anyone's response.
From what I have read here and on Perrin's blog this is not a harmonic balancer. Just a crank pulley with a dampener. This is the same pulley used on other subaru boxer engines. Thousands of subaru modders have used Perrin's pulleys over the years without issues.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post:
Marrk (10-13-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #102
Ziptied
Information Guru

Nothing against Perrin, but this has been debated several times on several cars over the years. I'm not saying it WILL cause an issue, i'm saying it COULD, and fat chance of a warranty paying for that. It's just not worth it for that little bit. On Supra's for instance using a crank pulley that isn't OEM or an ATi is a trashed engine waiting to happen, these with such a short crank may not be as bad, just not worth it to me for what could happen. To each their own though, we will know in a few years I suppose.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #103
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone even confirmed if the stock one is a harmonic damper? Not all cars have them stock.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:21 AM   #104
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I think a good question is why hasn't the aftermarket made a pulley with dampening? It may weight more (than existing lw pulley) but rules out any potential related crank issues.
Norkoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #105
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
I think a good question is why hasn't the aftermarket made a pulley with dampening? It may weight more (than existing lw pulley) but rules out any potential related crank issues.
There's a simple answer. For the aftermarket to harmonically match their pulley with YOUR motor, you'd need to ship your motor to them to have it harmonically matched/balanced to your exact motor. Hope that answers your question. :happy0180:
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #106
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
There's a simple answer. For the aftermarket to harmonically match their pulley with YOUR motor, you'd need to ship your motor to them to have it harmonically matched/balanced to your exact motor. Hope that answers your question. :happy0180:
That's not true... if you took it to a dealership needing a new crank pulley they would pull the closest one off the shelf, not pull the engine and match a new one to your motor. They aren't matched or balanced to the engine in anyway.

All a harmonic damper does is absorb resonant vibrations in the crank. That's why they have a bit of weight to them, and also a rubberish material to absorb the vibration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_balancer
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Norkoastal (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #107
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
True, to a certain degree. Even at the factory these things aren't balanced a 100%. I'm sure they leave a certain deviation since not doing so would be unrealistic for the real world. But by looking at the all the aftermarket pulleys it's pretty obvious that they're not balanced.

I'm still on the fence about one of these. For now, I'm going to hold off. Since I do have a slight idle dip and the chirps. I don't want to fight with Subaru about them taking care of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
That's not true... if you took it to a dealership needing a new crank pulley they would pull the closest one off the shelf, not pull the engine and match a new one to your motor. They aren't matched or balanced to the engine in anyway.

All a harmonic damper does is absorb resonant vibrations in the crank. That's why they have a bit of weight to them, and also a rubberish material to absorb the vibration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_balancer
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #108
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
Nothing against Perrin, but this has been debated several times on several cars over the years. I'm not saying it WILL cause an issue, i'm saying it COULD, and fat chance of a warranty paying for that. It's just not worth it for that little bit. On Supra's for instance using a crank pulley that isn't OEM or an ATi is a trashed engine waiting to happen, these with such a short crank may not be as bad, just not worth it to me for what could happen. To each their own though, we will know in a few years I suppose.
That's an inline engine, this is a boxer.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444518 <-- Read that.

Last edited by OrbitalEllipses; 10-14-2012 at 06:46 PM.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #109
Ziptied
Information Guru

Read the end of my post, I think you missed it...
Old 10-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #110
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Read my post, I know you missed it.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #111
CharlieChaos

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Installed mine and my buddies last night the first one took about 30-45 minutes second one took about 10. Mind you it was dark and raining lol.

Took a drive to grab food after and def notice a difference for the cash its a no brainer I think.

http://genometuning.com
http://www.BlackHandGaming.com
CharlieChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #112
Kwaziekeller

Drives: '13 Argento MT FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I got mine in today and because of this DIY I had the tools on standby. Took me about 10mins once I got the tools gathered, opened the package and went outside, still in my work uniform. Hardest part was working around the warm pulleys/engine components but I had some mechanic's gloves so I didn't feel a thing!

Suggestion... If you don't mind working in a smaller area, you can do it by only removing the first part of the DIY, removing the intake tube from the throttle body to airbox, and undoing the PCV/EGR recirculation hose or the sound generator tube and moving it out of the way as shown. I'm thinking that the bolt may loosen easier if you put the tranny in reverse but I'll check it tomorrow when I retorque/check the bolt. I left the belt on until I broke the bolt free as well, a little extra resistance never hurts!

Driving impressions... noticed slightly better mpg and more "torque" low in the rpm range. Seems to pull through the rpms a little faster and more smoothly. Instead of the usual chirp on the 2-3 shift it will chirp enough to kick out a smidge like the 1-2 always has. I'm content so far. Just the beginning tho.

Last edited by Kwaziekeller; 10-23-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Kwaziekeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, crank pulley, diy, frs, perrin, raceseng