follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
nooserbtf

Drives: 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch Clicking/ Tapping sound

Hey everyone.

I had an ACT street clutch and lightened flywheel installed about 2 months ago. I have noticed that there is a clicking/ tapping sound when car is cold and coasting to an almost dead stop. If I press the clutch pedal, the noise goes away. The car does not make the noise when warmed up, unless the a/c is on. If I am in traffic at a dead stop and the a/c is on the clicking/tapping happens until I depress the clutch pedal. Sounds like it is coming from the clutch/ transmission area. Any ideas or similar issues? When the clutch was installed I used motul fluid. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Also the clutch and flywheel were "professionally installed".
nooserbtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
zkv476

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Judging by when you say it happens, it sounds like either typical gear chatter or a failing throwout bearing to me. Have you always had these noises? Does it only go away if the clutch is depressed fully disengaged or will it go away with just slight pressure on the pedal?
Old 05-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
nooserbtf

Drives: 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkv476 View Post
Judging by when you say it happens, it sounds like either typical gear chatter or a failing throwout bearing to me. Have you always had these noises? Does it only go away if the clutch is depressed fully disengaged or will it go away with just slight pressure on the pedal?
Thanks for the reply. The car has only made the noise since the new clutch and flywheel kit. The noise is only there when I am completely off the clutch pedal with a/c on. It does go away if I depress the clutch in slightly (maybe 2 inches or so). Also goes away when clutch pedal is completely depressed.
nooserbtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
zkv476

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If it started with the new clutch I wouldn't be too worried as long as the trans drives normally and feels normal. The lightweight flywheels tend to cause the trans gears to chatter especially with the A/C on since the engine RPM is less smooth. Two inches of clutch travel usually disengages the clutch, which would stop the trans gears from spinning and also stop the chatter. You may also have rattling noises when decelerating in between 2k-3k RPM that's also related to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooserbtf View Post
Thanks for the reply. The car has only made the noise since the new clutch and flywheel kit. The noise is only there when I am completely off the clutch pedal with a/c on. It does go away if I depress the clutch in slightly (maybe 2 inches or so). Also goes away when clutch pedal is completely depressed.