follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #15
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkie View Post
Hi Everyone,

My work have offered me and my wife Business Class tickets to the states and we were thinking about going next year in say Oct or November.

We were looking at going for about 4 weeks as this will be our first time to the US and I think that should be a good amount of time.

So here is the run down.

We are looking at going to the following locations
  • New York about 1 week
  • LA - about 1 week
  • Miami & maybe Orlando - about 1 week
  • Vegas - 3 days
  • and possibly DC - 2 days
What we need help with is the following
  • Where to stay in the locations we are looking at?
  • Is there place we should not bother with to give more time in the other locations?
  • What kind of price are we looking at for accommodation $100 night $200 etc looking at about a 4+ Star?
  • Where to eat any special resturant diners worth going to?
  • Where to shop? best deals
  • Disneyland or Disney world (Orlando or Anaheim)?
  • What kind of Tips do you give?
  • I have heard of factory shopping on the way to Vegas from LA is it any good?
  • Drive or Fly to Vegas from LA?

Any other useful info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks heaps guys can not wait to come over and see your beautiful country
Alright since I'm in California.. and have been to Vegas many times. I'll give you a rundown so you can cut all the bullshit wondering around and going straight to the things you might really want to do.

Big cities are generally the same. Dirty filled with homeless and fking trafficky. So here's the advice on FOOD, PLACES TO SEE and some places to stay.

First when you land in LAX. Get an AT car. When you drive break a bit earlier than you normally would. LA drivers are another breed of asshole drivers. Parking meters in LA are VERY SERIOUS. The citation officer will patrol that area as if their home was about to get robbed.

Go to West Hollywood and walk that 1 block strip. There is nothing else you'd really want to see other than this 1.6 km-ish strip. If you want to be super touristy you can jump on those site seeing buses to view celebrity homes.

If you're interested check out the Wax Museum and the Guinness world records Museum.

Take photos too. There's nothing too fancy to eat around there that won't blow your mind away. Or at least isn't new to you.

Visit "Pink's Hotdog" AND SHARE ONE DOG. Because those things are massive. Lol Its good on price and not so bad first stop. Done with that place head to Santa Monica for the Pier. There's a pretty awesome fair that goes on every day. You can walk on the beach or rent a tantum bike and look at everything before you set off.

Done with that place.. Head to K-Town for some amazing inexpensive Korean BBQ. (I'll link all of these food places at the end of this post). If you've made it in the morning or lunch time prices are good and parking is pretty good. Don't stay in LA too long. Place sucks.

Some more attractions.. Visit the Museums. Natural History Museum is flippin' awesome. Not so bad either. Another is the LA Aboretum. And not too far away is the Huntington Botanical Garden. Both of those gardens are flipping nice. LA county Museum of Art is also really nice. Don't bother with the skyrise buildings. They're boring as F.

Then around night time or late at night.. visit this Taco truck. Its authentic and fking delicious. Also cheap. "El Chato" People who are visiting this truck are generally nice people. Just look for some friendly looking faces. They normally wear UCLA shirts. Lol

If you got another day... Visit Universal Studios. Then see if you've got that bit of extra time to hike to the Hollywood Sign. Warning: Hollywood sign hike is boring. Its hot and dry. But its a spot to take a photo. You could also visit the Griffith Observatory and Griffith park. There are some great food places around there. Or simply.. buy a few sandwiches and have a picnic. There's also an abandon zoo and you can hike through the park to be inside of the enclosures. :P

BAM. You're pretty much done with LA. Unless you want more food places. Anyways start heading more south to check out the beaches. Our Beaches are generally not as nice as those in Australia so don't be so.. crazy about them. :P

Head down to Orange County and visit some Food Trucks. If you give me a heads up a year from now... I might be able to give you precise trucks. Also YOU MUST VISIT A " The Boiling Crab" Order shrimp, crawfish or whatever with sausages and or corn. Get the "whole shabang" Its essentially New Orleans type food in California.

As you're still in the OC (which is where Disneyland is located its also quite expensive...) You can visit Downtown Disney. Note: You can bring backpacks into Disneyland. I HIGHLY recommend you do bring your own backpack with food and plenty of water. Also wear comfortable shoes made for walking lonnng distances. The Fantasmic show is cool and the World of Color water show in "California Adventure" is pretty neat. Both of those shows start at a 9pm-ish. Also go see the Aladden show. Lol

Bam. Disneyland with Disney California Adventure both will generally take.. 3ish days to finish since lines are long; however, there are things called fast-passes that you could get at every major ride so you don't have to wait for 2 hours. :>

If you're hungry and like some Indian food there's a place outside of Disneyland called "Punjabi Tador" Fking mazin' if you like Indian cruisine.

If you're into shopping there's an outlet when you're on the way from LA to OC on the 5south Highway/freeway. Its called the Citidel. Its an outlet but the prices are nice.

Anyways... back on track.. If you happen to be in the OC on Tuesday, you can visit Huntington Beach Main St. For a weekly festival and happy hour with food and beer/cocktails. They also have a farmer's market out there. Lots of food and singers etc.

Or you could visit the famous Newport Beach. The streets are pretty stupid confusing and its relatively small. You could also visit Laguna Beach which is not too far but there's lots of art places. Parking sucks though and food is expensive and not as tasty. :/

(edit: I'll finish this in a bit. Its 1 AM and I have class in 7 hours. Lol) Soz! I'll add more!

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Giccin For This Useful Post:
monkie (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #16
monkie

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@Giccin

You are a legend that was such good info can not wait for the rest

Have to go to class in 7 hrs i salute your dedication
monkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #17
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Her museum list reminded me that there's an automotive museum in LA. I've heard it's interesting and it's on my own to-do list.
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #18
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Continuing now 10/18/2012.

In OC there's lots of Vietnamese Restaurants and I'm sure you've had your taste of some of the best by going to Vietnam itself. So I won't bother putting any up; however, I will put up 2 of the ones I'd highly recommend. Top Baguette and Brodards. Must try before you get out of here. Lol Top Baguette is known for their awesome sandwiches. Ask for egg in your sandwich too. Fking delicious. At Brodards you want to strictly try their "Nem Nuong" which is a spring roll with pork and this crunchy eggroll paper in it. Dip it with the sauce they give you. Which is special at this store. If you're here and I'm not busy I could join you so they don't fk up any of your orders. Lol

Since you're still in the OC you could go to Irvine and try some Lolicup or bubble tea. Its quite nice on a warm day. Also pretty sweet. Next to Lolicup is a bakery called 85 degrees. Bread here is inexpensive but its made fresh every 30 minutes or so. It also has a seafoam coffee that's pretty damn good too.

Drive a couple block downs and try some shaved snow at Class 305. Its a Taiwanese dessert that's just wonderful. Its not really "snow" and its not really "shaved ice" at the same time. Again.. if you're in the area and want to explore it. I'd be more than happy to go with you so nothing gets mixed up.

Bam.. Pretty much done with the OC. I know there's a lot more but these places start to space out more. Its not as crowded and trafficky as LA.

Dowwn to San Diego you gooo.

There's a flower park in Carlsbad that's really nice and an shopping outlet down the street. I keep forgetting the name but you could do both in 1/3rd of the day. Lol I think @RRnold knows about it but iono.

I'm not sure how excited you'd be to see the San Diego Zoo or the San Diego Safari park since you guys pretty much have it in your backyard but those are two cool places too. As well as Seaworld if you're into sea animals and such. You can also catch a beautiful sunset at La Jolla beach. Then head to Downtown San Diego and check out college ish night life at the Gaslamp district.

There's also a Japanese Botanical Garden around there too. Its on my To-do list but if you get the chance and are not tired from all the Artsy places go for it. :P

Next up is... Hop on the 15north and off to Vegas. There's a McDonalds build in a Train and I can't remember where it was but its another attraction before Vegas.

If you're not into the "clubs" in Vegas you're better off walking around and checking out all the hotels. Visit the Venetian, the Belagio and this one with a statue of Poseidon. They have Innnncreeddibblee interior! Also the Las Vegas shows are awesome. Most of the hotels have special deals on these shows if you book with them too.

Places to stay in Vegas? Well if you contact me again and my friend is still working with her current Agency we can get you nice deals on hotels.

TRICK/TIP. Since you're an Aussie and you've already booked a hotel (Preferably the Venetian or the MGM. FIND A FEMALE RECEPTIONIST. Your Aussie accent is an added bonus. Go up to her and tell her you're from out of country and you want to be able to see the best of Vegas before you head back. LOOK HER IN THE EYES WHEN YOU DO THIS!! Then slip her $20. Lol. You'll get a complimentary room upgrade.

BAM. Done. Also in Vegas they have random package deals where you get to see the Grand Canyon in a Helicopter. Also try a buffet or two. Bellagio and the Paris Las Vegas have the top Buffets. If you want a small snack for the night or so.. Go to Earl of Grey Sandwiches in Planet Hollywood. Its pretty awesome for their price.

Also.. I know it sounds bad but. BUT. Limit yourself to only a certain amount for Gambling.

That's all I have for now. If you really want to explore the US. Its probably best to visit some National Parks. These are great parks but you can't do everything in a week or so in the US. I could tell you more once you decide since I go camping roughly... once a month and two big ones a year. :P

Hotels/Motels to stay in California.
- If you get the chance to stay at one of these.. go for a "Extended Stay America" its one of the better hotels for those on a budget. Its roughly $100 a night and its mostly attuned to Business workers.
- Holiday Express. Not the Holiday Inn. But the Holiday express. They're nicer.

Food places.
Pink's Hotdog
http://www.yelp.com/biz/pinks-hot-do...es#query:Pinks
Stick to the hotdogs. Try to try their sodas too. Although it might give you a stomach ache. If you're too worried I guess a coke. lol

Kbbq
http://www.yelp.com/biz/hae-jang-cho...les#query:Kbbq
I recommend All you can Eat for lunch. Then top it off with some COMPLIMENTARY Kimchi fried rice at the end.

El Chato - Mexican Food Truck
http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-chato-tac...-los-angeles-2
Carne Asada Tacos and Al Pastor Tacos. Burritos would be super filling. Also if you're daring enough try the Beef Tounge (I love beef tounge tbh). Ask for Grilled onions too. If they do have any... order Horchata. Their burritos with those kind of meats are fking delicious too. Ask for Lime for your meals. Or grab any hot sauce you find if you want spicy.

Urth Cafe. (I forgot to mention this but its a really cute Japanese Cafe
http://www.yelp.com/biz/urth-caffe-santa-monica
Grab a Green Tea Latte or a Spanish Latte. Possibly a sandwich too. Or just have some coffee and look up some more places if you like.

The Boiling Crab
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-boiling-crab-garden-grove-2 [Original] Place that opened.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-boiling-crab-santa-ana [One of their other openings but has the shortest line wait which is a good thing.]
I recommend getting shrimp/crawfish (they'll ask how many lbs) with sausages and corn. Skip the potatoes. You'd want the seasoned fries they have. Then they'll ask you for type of seasoning. Ask for the Whole Shabang. If you're looking to spend a bit more you can get lobster or crab too.

Brodard's Restaurant
http://www.yelp.com/biz/brodard-restaurant-garden-grove
Get Nem Nuong. Comes in 2 or 4 rolls.

Top Baguette
http://www.yelp.com/biz/top-baguette-westminster
Pork or beef sandwich with egg. Also Chicken is good too. Trust. :P

Lollicup
http://www.yelp.com/biz/lollicup-irvine#query:lollicups
Overwhelmed? Ask for samples. Most of the cashiers are women and if you give them your australian accent you'll win. Get Jasmine Milk tea with egg pudding or Thai Tea with boba. :p

Snow Station
http://www.yelp.com/biz/snow-station-westminster-3
Similar to Class 302 but in a different location and this place is flipping crowded. I'd go for the cocunut shaved ice and then start choosing your toppings. It goes from Mochi, to cereal to fruit.

Class 302
http://www.yelp.com/biz/class-302-irvine
Classroom themed Taiwanese restaurant. Pretty neat. I would get strawberry snow here with whatever toppings of your choice. Be daring! Red bean is not as gross as you think. So is Mochi!

85 degrees bakery
http://www.yelp.com/biz/85c-bakery-c...egree%20bakery
Its a bakery. You grab a tray thing with some tongs. Grab as you go. Lol I don't remember the bread names but damn they're good!

Yogurtland
http://www.yelp.com/biz/yogurtland-irvine-6
Ask for sample cups. Sample everything. And leave. LOL Also reuse your cups and try to be incognito. If they catch you and its a female. Look them in the eye and say you're sorry with a slight smurk. They'll look away and not care. :>

Punjabi Tadoor
http://www.yelp.com/biz/punjabi-tandoor-anaheim
Eat light. This stuff will get you. :P They have a dinner special for two which really could probably feed an easy 4 people..

Downtown Disneyland

Its pretty pricy here but I highly recommend going to the Jazz Kitchen here and trying the Benets. Sugary donuts. And some places to eat here (I got to try most of them because I'm an Elite yelper and they had an event here. Lol)
Go to the Caval(?) and get an appetizers. Paella (any) is my choice.

You could also go to the other restaurants and try their appetizers. Don't stick too long to try their entrees though. They're too pricy. :/

Phil's BBQ
http://www.yelp.com/biz/phils-bbq-san-diego-2
Worth the wait. Its a hot spot in San diego. And a Must go before you leave! :P

Anyways that's pretty much all I have for now. Other than... what I've already mentioned which are National Parks etc. There's also nice canyon roads but you're in a rental car and people suck at driving.
NOTE: If you ever do go to any of these canyon roads. If there is a person up your butt in your car pull out to a turnabout to let them pass. California Road Rage is no joke. :l

I do quite a bit of road trips, camping and eating out. So I know some good spots. I know there are more but.. given that you only have 7 days. I can only recommend so much. Lol

You're only in SOUTHERN California too. Lol. Central and Northern California has lots to offer too. Such as Herst Castle, Santa Barbra's Dutch city. The pizza and some distinct foods.

Anyways.. I hope this info was what you were initially looking for. Rofl.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
TOYOTA FT-86

Last edited by Giccin; 10-19-2012 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Spelling error in Canyon. lululul
The Following User Says Thank You to Giccin For This Useful Post:
monkie (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
monkie

You dead set a legend Giccin :happy0180:

The info you have provided is well beyond any expectations that I thought I would get.

You seem to be an walking, talking breathing encyclopaedia of California.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #20
einzlr

That took a *lot* of work!! Giccin you should save that for other people who ask or maybe even this thread could be stickied.
The Following User Says Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
Giccin (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
You dead set a legend Giccin :happy0180:

The info you have provided is well beyond any expectations that I thought I would get.

You seem to be an walking, talking breathing encyclopaedia of California.

Haha. No way. :P

I've been to LA and people who want to visit LA expect lots of cool things, but there aren't that many cool things if you don't know where to go. Most of it sucks and the biggest beauty of California is all of the neat Canyons and State parks. A big city will always be a big city. :P

I've always lived in Cali and had always wanted to go to LA until after going there several times for the airport and several times just to hang out. It sucks. Lol The driving sucks. People are assholes. There's homeless people everywhere that are shady.

Nooottt that great. Lol But the places I've recommend are the places I've been to and feel like its worth your time. Especially since you're an Aussie, your accent gives you a big advantage. Lol

Also the food is great! I'd list more but.. eh. Lol I haven't done enough exploring in food to show you. Plus you're looking for "whats worth your money."

Annndd... the hotels thing. If you want a nice 4+star hotel. You're looking to spend 220-300 a night. :x So some of these "hotels" are lower end but you're just looking to keep your stuff safe in sleep.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
TOYOTA FT-86
Old 10-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #22
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
That took a *lot* of work!! Giccin you should save that for other people who ask or maybe even this thread could be stickied.
Just saving people time. Lol xD

I've done a lot of exploring in Cali. Just haven't been doing it lately because of this economic DEPRESSION. D:<

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
TOYOTA FT-86
Old 10-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #23
monkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Haha. No way. :P

I've been to LA and people who want to visit LA expect lots of cool things, but there aren't that many cool things if you don't know where to go. Most of it sucks and the biggest beauty of California is all of the neat Canyons and State parks. A big city will always be a big city. :P

I've always lived in Cali and had always wanted to go to LA until after going there several times for the airport and several times just to hang out. It sucks. Lol The driving sucks. People are assholes. There's homeless people everywhere that are shady.

Nooottt that great. Lol But the places I've recommend are the places I've been to and feel like its worth your time. Especially since you're an Aussie, your accent gives you a big advantage. Lol

Also the food is great! I'd list more but.. eh. Lol I haven't done enough exploring in food to show you. Plus you're looking for "whats worth your money."

Annndd... the hotels thing. If you want a nice 4+star hotel. You're looking to spend 220-300 a night. :x So some of these "hotels" are lower end but you're just looking to keep your stuff safe in sleep.

Yeah in regards to the hotels I always try and go for a 4+ star just due to going to Asia a lot just got back from Bali a couple of months ago what they classify as a 3 - 3.5 star is what I call a 1-2 star i take it that the ratings are a lot more stringent in the US?

Just trying to find somewhere nice to stay with easy access to shops (as we get ripped off here in AUS for everything hence why we go to Asia twice a year)

We are now thinking of flying to DC from NY for two nights to see some of the history and monuments and then drive to Miami so we can see some of the sights on the way down the coast as I don't know if we will need a week in NY.

The hardest part is trying to work out all the costings we were looking at needing about $15k for accommodation, car hire and spending money not including flights hopefully that will be enough
Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #24
einzlr

Quote:
Yeah in regards to the hotels I always try and go for a 4+ star just due to going to Asia a lot just got back from Bali a couple of months ago what they classify as a 3 - 3.5 star is what I call a 1-2 star i take it that the ratings are a lot more stringent in the US?

Just trying to find somewhere nice to stay with easy access to shops (as we get ripped off here in AUS for everything hence why we go to Asia twice a year)

We are now thinking of flying to DC from NY for two nights to see some of the history and monuments and then drive to Miami so we can see some of the sights on the way down the coast as I don't know if we will need a week in NY.

The hardest part is trying to work out all the costings we were looking at needing about $15k for accommodation, car hire and spending money not including flights hopefully that will be enough
Regarding accommodations I can recommend the Days Inn hotel chain for very acceptable basic accommodations. They have locations for sure on both coasts, and I believe all over the country. Cost varies by location but generally is under $100/night. Don't expect luxury but they are clean and comfortable and in the ones I stayed at the staff is friendly and tries to accommodate special requests without fuss. There are a few of them in the DC/Arlington VA area.
The Following User Says Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
monkie (10-18-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #25
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
NY drive to DC is ~6hrs. If im on a vaction id check out amtrak train service for one of the many trips between the two cities. Best shopping is in NYC of course.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chulooz For This Useful Post:
monkie (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #26
monkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
NY drive to DC is ~6hrs. If im on a vaction id check out amtrak train service for one of the many trips between the two cities. Best shopping is in NYC of course.

Wife saw the train today in a brochure maybe an option instead of flying from NYC to DC wont be driving it though would get lost trying to get out NYC

Driving the cost would be good though I think to Miami
Old 10-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #27
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't know much...but I'm just posting so I can say...Wow Giccin... Wow... X3

Cheers! :happy0180:

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaJo For This Useful Post:
Giccin (10-19-2012), monkie (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #28
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoian View Post
I don't know much...but I'm just posting so I can say...Wow Giccin... Wow... X3

Cheers! :happy0180:
Isn't that what people want to hear though? Exact places to be? lol

I've run into a situation like this where I was in a totally new country. I wasted a lot of time walking around instead of going to specific places. lol

So... Just saving some time.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
TOYOTA FT-86
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giccin For This Useful Post:
DaJo (10-20-2012), monkie (10-20-2012)