follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2021, 07:02 PM   #1
Thomas K

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
JDL UEL Catted Header vs FT86 SpeedFactory UEL Catted Header

Hey Everyone, just had a couple of questions regarding these two headers.

I'm looking at getting either of these headers soon, I'm currently leaning towards getting the JDL UEL Catted headers. However, I've been seeing around on forums that there is a decent amount of fitment issues. Just wanted to know how common these fitment issues are and if people with the updated v2 jdl uel catted headers also are still having fitment issues or if JDL has fixed them now.

Also regarding the two headers, are there going to be any performance differences between them? FT86 headers are 400 cell cats and I believe JDL's are 200.

Lastly, I'm also looking at getting a catback. I'm looking at either the q300 or r400. I'm looking for a setup that has a good deep mature tone and isnt too loud just for normal driving but only when getting on the gas. I was originally leaning towards the q300 however my only concern is it wont be much louder than stock and ill just be wasting my money. If anyone is running either the q300 or r400 with either ft86 or jdl uel catted header can u let me know ur input.

Thanks.
Thomas K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:07 PM   #2
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I added my Corsa exhaust today with my Tomei UEL header (catless) and overpipe. It’s pretty loud haha

If I wanted a quiet setup, the catless UEL header with everything else stock might be good for you. You’ll get the most out of the power gains by using a catless header, but not nearly the noise. It was a nice low end tone with the stock muffler and the catted stock front pipe.

Are you staying catted for emissions?
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:29 PM   #3
Thomas K

Thanks for the input.

Yeah I'm staying Catted for emissions. Where I live they're really strict about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas K For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 03:48 PM   #4
Milhouse86
Noob

Drives: 13' FRS, 13' F150, 17' A4, 69' 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I did not have any issues with my JDL UEL headers. Easy install

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Milhouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:14 PM   #5
Thomas K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse86 View Post
I did not have any issues with my JDL UEL headers. Easy install

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Catted Headers?
Old 03-08-2021, 07:26 AM   #6
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas K View Post
Hey Everyone, just had a couple of questions regarding these two headers.

I'm looking at getting either of these headers soon, I'm currently leaning towards getting the JDL UEL Catted headers. However, I've been seeing around on forums that there is a decent amount of fitment issues. Just wanted to know how common these fitment issues are and if people with the updated v2 jdl uel catted headers also are still having fitment issues or if JDL has fixed them now.

Also regarding the two headers, are there going to be any performance differences between them? FT86 headers are 400 cell cats and I believe JDL's are 200.

Lastly, I'm also looking at getting a catback. I'm looking at either the q300 or r400. I'm looking for a setup that has a good deep mature tone and isnt too loud just for normal driving but only when getting on the gas. I was originally leaning towards the q300 however my only concern is it wont be much louder than stock and ill just be wasting my money. If anyone is running either the q300 or r400 with either ft86 or jdl uel catted header can u let me know ur input.

Thanks.

I currently have JDL Catted UEL headers and the install was extremely easy. The only "fitment" issue is that if you don't loosen the engine mount, then you have to remove the heat shield from the overpipe. Which is a pain but not impossible, add another 20 mins to your installation. I would definitely recommend getting new gaskets, Grimmspeed is more than fine.

Besides, JDL will give you more gains than the FT86 SF header.

As for your catback set up, you're looking very similar to the route that I took. If you have Instagram, look for "https://www.instagram.com/shrapnellbranches/?hl=cs". Thats my car page, I went with a Q300, HKS dual Res F.P, Invidia OP, and the JDL headers. I have a few videos that will show you how the vehicle will sound.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #7
Thomas K

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I currently have JDL Catted UEL headers and the install was extremely easy. The only "fitment" issue is that if you don't loosen the engine mount, then you have to remove the heat shield from the overpipe. Which is a pain but not impossible, add another 20 mins to your installation. I would definitely recommend getting new gaskets, Grimmspeed is more than fine.

Besides, JDL will give you more gains than the FT86 SF header.

As for your catback set up, you're looking very similar to the route that I took. If you have Instagram, look for "https://www.instagram.com/shrapnellbranches/?hl=cs". Thats my car page, I went with a Q300, HKS dual Res F.P, Invidia OP, and the JDL headers. I have a few videos that will show you how the vehicle will sound.
Thanks for that, I just checked out your Instagram. Car sounds really good. Did u ever run just q300 and catted headers? And if so how loud was it?
Old 03-08-2021, 08:09 AM   #8
spcmafia

Quote:
Thanks for that, I just checked out your Instagram. Car sounds really good. Did u ever run just q300 and catted headers? And if so how loud was it?

Thanks!. Unfortunately I bought the catback and FP together, and then the header and OP. But I would assume the sound would be a bit more aggressive, but not by much, more drone for sure. The Q300 is a very quiet exhaust compared to something like N1 or MXP.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:27 AM   #9
Thomas K

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Thanks!. Unfortunately I bought the catback and FP together, and then the header and OP. But I would assume the sound would be a bit more aggressive, but not by much, more drone for sure. The Q300 is a very quiet exhaust compared to something like N1 or MXP.
Ahh ok all good. I know you said you had no fitment issues installing the catted headers but did you encounter any rubbing between the header and skid plate after installing?
Old 03-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #10
spcmafia

Quote:
Ahh ok all good. I know you said you had no fitment issues installing the catted headers but did you encounter any rubbing between the header and skid plate after installing?

Not at all. I did manage to lose some screws from the skid plates but oh well lol. The other thing, depending if you are getting them ceramic coated, is the burning smell when you fire the vehicle up the first time. Completely natural, is the coating settling in. If you see smoke do not alarm yourself. Make sure you have extensions with U-joint sockets, it will come handy for one of the screws on the header, not necessary, but doesn't hurt to have.
86geek (05-08-2021), Thomas K (03-08-2021)