follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
joshuagranger
FNG!!!

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
carbon fiber wrap gone bad!

So.....I goofed up and got the mixing ratio wrong for my resin and hardener, it's not curing and is just staying tacky. Does anybody know if this is reversable? I only put two thin coats down, so I was thinking I could continue with the CORRECT ratio and keep my fingers crossed that the new layers will cure and harden.....what are your thoughts? Please be gentle with the bashing, this was my first time using carbon fiber and I already feel like an idiot for messing it up I'm just looking for some advice on how to fix my mess up.
joshuagranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Chimpo

Drives: '15 STi Ltd
(1) What are you wrapping specifically?
(2) Rookie mistake I guess, but what would later layers stick to if the base layers were crap?
(3) No practice first?
(4) Google is always a good place to start looking for answers. Everything on the internet is true.
(5) Is it still tacky? Can you begin removing? I'd rather start getting it off than let it dry screwed up, but I'm no wrap expert.
Chimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If it's not fully cured, you may be able to dissolve it with acetone. What did you wrap, and define "tacky."

If you can't undo it, I would mix up something right and recoat. Any chance of cooking the part at say 150 degrees for a while? Again what you wrapped would matter here. But heat could help it get a bit more cured.

Boats use polyester resin and in some situations the laminating resin remains purposefully tacky so that you can do multiple layers without sanding. They put a finish coat over that and it works fine. You should be able to do the same with epoxy, the key though would be to get even coverage and not sand through into the tacky stuff when doing finish work.

I would probably try to redo it completely myself.
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
joshuagranger
FNG!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpo View Post
(1) What are you wrapping specifically?
(2) Rookie mistake I guess, but what would later layers stick to if the base layers were crap?
(3) No practice first?
(4) Google is always a good place to start looking for answers. Everything on the internet is true.
(5) Is it still tacky? Can you begin removing? I'd rather start getting it off than let it dry screwed up, but I'm no wrap expert.
1) dash pieces
2) true, it was just a suggestion
3) no sir, my mistake, lesson well learned
4) I've tried using google I haven't had much luck. I even called the company I purchased the kit from and they were no help.
5) Yes, it is still tacky but nothing comes off on your finger. I haven't tried that yet, I was going to leave that for a last resort. I'm no wrap expert either thats why I'm asking I was just hoping someone on here would be kind enough to help a fellow FRS owner out on a mistake made.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
joshuagranger
FNG!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
If it's not fully cured, you may be able to dissolve it with acetone. What did you wrap, and define "tacky."

If you can't undo it, I would mix up something right and recoat. Any chance of cooking the part at say 150 degrees for a while? Again what you wrapped would matter here. But heat could help it get a bit more cured.

Boats use polyester resin and in some situations the laminating resin remains purposefully tacky so that you can do multiple layers without sanding. They put a finish coat over that and it works fine. You should be able to do the same with epoxy, the key though would be to get even coverage and not sand through into the tacky stuff when doing finish work.

I would probably try to redo it completely myself.
I didn't think about the acetone, but that sounds like a very aggressive resolution but maybe one that is needed. I wrapped the cheesy carbon fiber dash pieces, silver plastic piece around the gear shifter, and the silver trim pieces on the inside door handles. "Tacky" is my finger will stick to it but nothing comes off on my finger. Moving forward with the correct ratio is what I'm really wanting to do but I fear of making it worse. In theory I would think that you could correct the ratio 2:1 epoxy hardener and thin epoxy resin contine to lay down 3 to 4 layers, let it cure then sand it back but not to far to where you start hitting the tacky layer, but that is just my theory. I think i'm going to keep pushing forward with the ratio corrected and it that doesn't work then I may try to rip the carbon fiber off (if thats possible) if not then it looks like I will be buying all new trim pieces and learn from my mistake.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Did you unwrap the fake carbon before doing the wrap? It's a vinyl from what I've heard. Could save your bacon if you wrapped right over it.

If nothing comes off on your finger putting another coat that cures properly should take care of it, but there will be no guarantee that it's going to come out crystal clear. Even if you sand down, if that junction between tacky/good resin has fingerprints and other imperfections in it they're still going to show.

Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SubieNate For This Useful Post:
scary alien (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
joshuagranger
FNG!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
Did you unwrap the fake carbon before doing the wrap? It's a vinyl from what I've heard. Could save your bacon if you wrapped right over it.

If nothing comes off on your finger putting another coat that cures properly should take care of it, but there will be no guarantee that it's going to come out crystal clear. Even if you sand down, if that junction between tacky/good resin has fingerprints and other imperfections in it they're still going to show.

Nathan
Yes sir, I went right over the vinyl carbon fiber. I sure hope it saves my "bacon"! Thank you Nathan you've been a tremendous help, I appreciate your kindness and your help
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshuagranger For This Useful Post:
Panda Grahams (06-27-2013), scary alien (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
slicktop

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 2JZ-GTE/V160 swapped
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
You know, sometimes people just need to be told they aren't good at something.

You're not good at this whole "custom modifying" thing. Maybe let someone else do it?
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktop View Post
You're not good at this whole "custom modifying" thing. Maybe let someone else do it?
Why?

You will never learn anything if you always get someone else to do everything for you.

That someone else must have started somewhere as well.

I say good job for having the gut's to do this. Personally I would have done a few practice runs on other objects of less value, but still good on you for doing it!

Kind of jealous because I want to start playing with composites but never got around to it.

The one time I did try, I made a gauge cluster for my old car, I too got the mix wrong, and in direct sunlight the epoxy kind of went gooey, when it was cold it was fine :P
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Splat

Drives: FR-S ultramarine
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

That doesn't really help the OP with his question, or his solution for now.
Are you just spamming for some reason?
You're not good at this whole "helping with problems" thing. Maybe let someone else do it?
Splat
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Splat For This Useful Post:
oofie (06-27-2013), roddy (06-27-2013), TRD-X (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Drives: Baby LFA
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
How long did you wait after it dried to a tack? How much did you screw up the ratio?
FRSTRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
TRD-X

Drives: Da-Big Banana
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Your not funny don't quit your day job.

Really if you have nothing to contribute to this thread then don't click on the reply button.

Quote:

@Splat..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
That doesn't really help the OP with his question, or his solution for now.
Are you just spamming for some reason?
You're not good at this whole "helping with problems" thing. Maybe let someone else do it?
Splat
Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
marky

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS #54
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
you won't learn anything if your not failing.
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marky For This Useful Post:
lantsalot (06-27-2013), TRD-X (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky View Post
you won't learn anything if your not failing.
You're*

Now you'll learn grammar from that failure
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
bakerr6 (06-28-2013), marky (06-27-2013), slicktop (06-28-2013), wrxgoose (06-27-2013)