follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2023, 02:07 AM   #1
Roman

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
NA Build

Hey drifters and time attackers...

I own a FR-S 2013 for 18 months now. I am single and it is my 3rd vehicle at home, and from day one this car is fun only NEVER commute type of car.
I track 4-6 times a year, and after a 20 min warm up. It is pretty much high rpm. I service the car on duration basis because I don't reach enough km a year to wait for the mileage.

So what was done so far:
NO interior, only driver seat and dash (and i left the driver door panel for the buttons and the arm rest convenience), Coilovers, ALL mounts and bushings kit by whiteline, exhaust (was done by previous owner).
I feel like break size is sufficient for cars weight so just better quality.
Since its never driven in winter, I want to do a refresh on the engine with higher grade components (i do it as a profession but not on cars).
I do understand it'll probably shorten it's life. But seeing how i'm at 80k and the engine is going really strong. If, after some upgrades, i can do 50k until next overhaul, that's fine, as long as it'd due to wear-out, not breakdown.

My goal is safely cross 9Krpm. But not with forced induction.
Anyone has best ecu and maybe parts combo that were tested for NA builds?
If I could buy a full kit with that purpose in mind, I would love the person who will link me to it.

BTW, crickets noise is coming (in my case) from air re-circulation flaps in the sides of the rear bumper... I keep taping it but after a race day and the heat, it comes off lol...

Many friends are like why you need a fr-s if you have a Golf R? to which i answer: I have no response that will make you understand...
People don't get it
Thanks all
Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 04:00 AM   #2
CedN

Drives: 2013 GT86 fully standard
I think the lubrication system will put the limitation on reving, do some research on all the fixes that are out there. Other than that its just an NA engine, so intake, exhaust lengths, cam timing and ports just need to be matched to your targets. Its not cheap if you cant do it yourself. But it would probably sound nice
Old 01-10-2023, 08:18 AM   #3
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
As stated above the oil pump will be your limiting factor on getting that RPM. Start looking into a dry sump and external oil pump solution. Stock ECU will be fine.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:57 AM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
How many wheelbarrows of cash do you have?

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99291

http://elementtuning.com/competition...r-wrx-fa20dit/
x808drifter (01-11-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 01:53 PM   #5
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Is it just me, or is this the 4th new member in the last 2 months to ask what an NA build on a 2013 would take? Did something happen on instaspam or fecebook that is inspiring this? Or is this all the same person asking 10 times?

Or am I crazy?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (01-10-2023), Jdmjunkie (01-10-2023), NoHaveMSG (01-10-2023), x808drifter (01-11-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 08:32 PM   #6
Roman

Drives: 2013 frs
thanks guys... links will help...

oil pressure, and else where i read springs for valves and The Connecting Rods...

@Spuds i think the reason its all of a sudden popular is the fact new gen came out bringing older price down....
Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 01:47 AM   #7
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
You want the car to rev up to 9k safely?
K20 swap.
/endthread
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (01-11-2023), NoHaveMSG (01-11-2023), RedReplicant (01-12-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 02:33 PM   #8
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Hey drifters and time attackers...

I own a FR-S 2013 for 18 months now. I am single and it is my 3rd vehicle at home, and from day one this car is fun only NEVER commute type of car.
I track 4-6 times a year, and after a 20 min warm up. It is pretty much high rpm. I service the car on duration basis because I don't reach enough km a year to wait for the mileage.

So what was done so far:
NO interior, only driver seat and dash (and i left the driver door panel for the buttons and the arm rest convenience), Coilovers, ALL mounts and bushings kit by whiteline, exhaust (was done by previous owner).
I feel like break size is sufficient for cars weight so just better quality.
Since its never driven in winter, I want to do a refresh on the engine with higher grade components (i do it as a profession but not on cars).
I do understand it'll probably shorten it's life. But seeing how i'm at 80k and the engine is going really strong. If, after some upgrades, i can do 50k until next overhaul, that's fine, as long as it'd due to wear-out, not breakdown.

My goal is safely cross 9Krpm. But not with forced induction.
Anyone has best ecu and maybe parts combo that were tested for NA builds?
If I could buy a full kit with that purpose in mind, I would love the person who will link me to it.

BTW, crickets noise is coming (in my case) from air re-circulation flaps in the sides of the rear bumper... I keep taping it but after a race day and the heat, it comes off lol...

Many friends are like why you need a fr-s if you have a Golf R? to which i answer: I have no response that will make you understand...
People don't get it
Thanks all
As some others have pointed out, this is not easily achievable, and certainly not reliably. Serious modifications have to be made as these engines just don't have the proper lubrication to support such a high RPM range. It has been done quite a bit already by many people. I believe all of those stories ended badly and the projects were dropped. If the idea ever worked out even reasonably, such products or custom jobs would exist for us in the market today. But that's not the case. Only the people with the deepest pockets probably dig into this and you don't hear much about it. Moral of the story... it's just not worth it for this engine. You want high RPM, get a swap that can handle it.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (01-12-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 09:31 AM   #9
Dzmitry

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_Page View Post
If your goal is to safely rev the engine to 9,000 RPM without forced induction, there are a few things you can do to achieve this. One option is to upgrade the ECU (Engine Control Unit) to one that is specifically designed for high-performance, naturally aspirated builds. Another option is to upgrade the engine components, such as the pistons, rods, and valve train, to handle the increased stress of high RPMs. You can also consider upgrading the intake and exhaust systems to increase airflow and improve engine breathing.

It's worth noting that upgrading the engine components will likely shorten the overall lifespan of the engine, as the increased stress will cause parts to wear out faster. However, if you're only planning to use the car for track days and high-performance driving, it may be worth the trade-off.

As for specific products, there are many companies that offer high-performance engine components and ECUs for the FR-S/BRZ/86 platform. Some popular options include HKS, Cosworth, and Tomei. It may be helpful to research and read reviews from other FR-S/BRZ/86 owners who have upgraded their engines for high-performance driving to get an idea of what works well and what doesn't.

Regarding the cricket noise coming from the air re-circulation flaps, it could be due to a malfunction in the flap mechanism or the actuator. It may be worth checking these parts to see if they need replacement or repair.

Finally, you're right, people don't get it. You love your car, it's fun and you track it. That's what matters.
You gave two options that help support high RPM achievement but completely ignored the lubrication issue, which is the HEART of the issue with this engine at high RPM's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (02-03-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 10:09 AM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
You gave two options that help support high RPM achievement but completely ignored the lubrication issue, which is the HEART of the issue with this engine at high RPM's.
99% sure it's a bot. If you look at the post history it's all really odd, like every post looks like a google search answer.
Dzmitry (02-02-2023), x808drifter (02-03-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 10:14 AM   #11
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
99% sure it's a bot. If you look at the post history it's all really odd, like every post looks like a google search answer.
Also a very specific location that doesn't exist.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (02-02-2023), NoHaveMSG (02-02-2023), x808drifter (02-03-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 10:15 AM   #12
Dzmitry

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Yeah, I've picked up on that now as I'm catching up on the forum
In fact it's very annoying now lol that I just want to respond.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-02-2023), x808drifter (02-03-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 08:17 PM   #13
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I want to disappoint you, I'm not a bot. Just expressed my opinion. Thank you!
I figured it was a bot since your listed address is not valid.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:34 PM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I want to disappoint you, I'm not a bot. Just expressed my opinion. Thank you!
OK so a live spammer then.
You already outed yourself
Goodbye
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...5&postcount=13
x808drifter (02-09-2023)