follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2023, 09:47 AM   #15
Teppka

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just noticed this yesterday and this thread just answered it. Awesome.
Teppka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 04:33 AM   #16
Jianlun

Drives: GR86 RC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
On a related/unrelated note. Did anyone every try putting in an antigravity lithium battery (i have one in my other car and love it) to the post facelift or 2022+ brz/gr86. Wondering how the whole system reacts to the lithium battery.

Hypothetically, this battery module may be a current sensor cum voltage sensor, referenced to ground/batt negative. I would think it detects the battery condition thru internal resistance calculation (comparing current supplied vs effective voltage across batt and thus "voltage drop due to batt internal resistance"). The older (higher internal resistance) the battery, the more it will opportunistically charge the battery (or maybe keep it at high state of charge ie high voltage all the time)?

But lithium has lower internal resistance. Which maybe means the system thinks its a damn bloody good lead acid battery and thus get much more stingy at charging it.... doesnt bode well for the lithium cos that may mean the charge discharge cycle gets more frequent, wearing out the lithium more pre-maturely. Not to mention that 12.4v (which is the non charging voltage seen by OP, and me too in my gr86), the lithium batt is actually only around 14% stage of charge, whereas a lead acid batt is nicely at around 60%. Negates the higher CCA and capacity of a lithium battery doesnt it...

Or i just thinking too much and should just transfer my antigravity over and call it a day.
Jianlun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jianlun For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-08-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 05:06 PM   #17
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Garage
Anyway to disable this "feature", Or adjust it at least? My new tail lights do the "fast-flash" on the turn signals if I'm on my brakes at a stop when it's not charging. Really scratching my head there for a few days trying to replicate it.
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 09:49 AM   #18
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by aKaGorganZola View Post
Anyway to disable this "feature", Or adjust it at least? My new tail lights do the "fast-flash" on the turn signals if I'm on my brakes at a stop when it's not charging. Really scratching my head there for a few days trying to replicate it.
Are they LED tailights? They may need an inline resistor.
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:11 PM   #19
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie View Post
Are they LED tailights? They may need an inline resistor.
Yes but so are the stock tails. My first thought was a resistor as well but like I said it's only when the alternator is "off". If I turn on my running lights or the ac it kicks the charging whirler back on and the flashes normally again, even before reaching the full 14v.
The 17+ from what Ive read controls it all in the ECU so in hoping a dealer can plug in and just bump that min voltage up to like 13v. I prefer my battery charging anyways way more than the percentage of a mpg I save.
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote