follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #29
4Running Daily

Drives: 1996 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota/Scion of Escondido BLOWS.

Scion of Poway
4Running Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4Running Daily For This Useful Post:
Tim_Asphalt_FRS (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #30
Godzilla35

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FV View Post
What's the story? I'm still looking for a dealership haha

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Here's the jist of it... I just copied and pasted my timeline to Scion Corporate.. Since then, i've had the alarm removed by Scion of Kearny Mesa. The stock harness soldered back together and a written statement giving me a full warranty if anything goes wrong. However, Santa Monica has messed up my ECU (they didn't replace it as I asked through the recall letter I got). And when they deactivated my daytime running lights, they disabled my keys on accident. And now I have no highbeams. And I found a broken clip from one of the interior panels as well... *sigh* have to go back again. But I'm seriously thinking of just switching to Longo Scion since i've been hearing nothing but good things about them. ...

-------------------------------------------

To Scion customer service:

I wanted to leave a detailed discussion / update of my case to leave a paper trail and details for Scion to review of how the dealers are dealing with my situation.

Scion electrical harness issue...

*TIMELINE*

July 22, 2013
I took my car in for several issues (which I can provide if needed). Was told to pick up at the end of the day originally, but since they were unable to replicate all the problems, they asked for an extra day to try (and also getting parts in for the repairs the next day).

July 23, 2013
Later in the evening, around/after 4pm, I was notified that I would need to bring all the rest of my keys in because the engine wouldn't start. Martin Ramos (Service Advisor for Santa Monica) told me he would fill me in once I get in there. I arrived there around 5-6pm and received a loaner car for the next day and left.

July 24, 2013
I dropped off the rest of the keys around 10-11am and left once more to give them time to finish the repairs. When I was called to pick up the car, the tech., Rob Calles, found an aftermarket alarm in the car connected poorly with butt-connectors and the electrical tape was very poorly done and partially hanging off. This may not affect the car significantly right now, but if something were to happen in the future, I was told the warranty wouldn't be valid because the factory harness was modified. I was told that a repair was possible to resolder the wires but a brand new harness would be a $1200+ job. I told them I would not be satisfied with a repair, because the modification was done without my consent.

I contacted Kearny Mesa Scion, the original dealer I purchased from and left a message with my salesman, Rich Manas, who was off that day. (This was recommended to me by Martin Ramos).

I went home and took pictures of the harness work and wiring mess. To my surprise, I actually found wire clippings on my FRS carpet that look to match the recently discovered splice job. I also photographed them and collected them for future evidence.

I also contacted the Scion Customer Care line and, Lisa and I, started a report stating all of this. My Reference / Case # is 1307243377

I also contacted George Rovles, the Customer Relations Manager at Santa Monica and informed him of my problems, which he said he would look into and have contact with me after he does some research. My main questions were the wire clippings and the fact that I had to bring in my keys because that really bothered me.

July 25, 2013
I received a call back from Rich Manas, my salesperson at Kearny Mesa Scion. He said that the alarm was possibly installed on my car during it's PDI. However, it is unlikely because it was during the early launch of the FRS when cars were being sold off the dealer floors instantly. However, since I did not pick up my car within two days of it's arrival, it is possible it was loaded with an alarm by mistake. Even so, it would be deactivated AND it would not have been tapped into the factory wiring at all. It would be an additional connection that would be "plug-and-play" and easily reversible. We tentatively scheduled a future meeting where I would drive to San Diego and have their alarm tech take a look at it. I would be compensated gas for the drive. We would discuss further if it was / wasn't their alarm system to find a conclusion. I would give 3-5 days notice and meet their tech with a scheduled meeting.

I also received a call back from Scion Santa Monica's Service Manager Gary Benson. He offered to hear my story and address my concerns and I filled him in with all the information, as well as, my recent call with Rich. He offered to do some research and call me back.

He called me back shortly to state that this happens all the time, and that they (Kearny Mesa) is not liable to tell me if there is any additional alarm system installed as long as they don't charge me. This is not right, in my opinion. Also, he was adamant that his tech, Rob Calles did not cut anything. This disturbed me, and I let Gary know it. Even if it was Kearny Mesa who installed the alarm, it is clearly evident that wires were cut very recently because I had completely cleaned my car and vacuumed the inside at least several dozens of times within my ownership period, and I have found wire clippings that seem to match the areas that were said to be modified by someone else. I told him this was disheartening and he replied that he could talk to Kearny Mesa to pay for the repairs and that Santa Monica would do it. I told him, the repair isn't really what I'm trying to figure out. I am trying to figure out who modified my car without my consent and that a repair is NOT what I am looking for. I want a full replacement of any factory parts that are now, in my eyes, damaged. He told me I "wouldn't be getting a new harness from anyone", but he told me he would be there to help if I needed him… and that this is now "between me and Kearny Mesa". He tried to save me a drive down to San Diego, but I think that I need to figure this out face to face.

My next step would be to figure out a time to meet with Rich and his tech in San Diego and go from there.
Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #31
SliverBrz

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ limited
This sounds so f#!@ed up.

I think i would be pissed.
SliverBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SliverBrz For This Useful Post:
Godzilla35 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #32
LavosTRD
Toyota Master Tech

Drives: Whiteout MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The zip ties are from santa monica cutting the alarm box off of where ever it was mounted next to the body ecu that got replaced because it got bricked when they tried turning off your DRL's. Trying to upsell you a $1200 harness is straight up bullshit and unethical.

Your recall was for an engine ecu recalibration only, not a replacement.
LavosTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LavosTRD For This Useful Post:
Godzilla35 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #33
Godzilla35

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavosTRD View Post
The zip ties are from santa monica cutting the alarm box off of where ever it was mounted next to the body ecu that got replaced because it got bricked when they tried turning off your DRL's. Trying to upsell you a $1200 harness is straight up bullshit and unethical.

Your recall was for an engine ecu recalibration only, not a replacement.
Except that Santa Monica repeatedly told me that they didn't cut anything. I confirmed this multiple times even though there were wire clippings found on my carpet? Even if they fell out of the body panels and were left in the door by San Diego... there was still many issues not properly addressed. You don't turn off the DRL's by yanking the fuse because that kills your highbeams on the headlights. I live in a canyon and it is a safety issue. You need the new ECU to do this and not kill the lights. I just don't get why I have to find all of this out and it isn't common knowledge for dealerships to know. I'm trying not to blame any single person, because people ARE trying to help me out. I'm more frustrated by the LACK of info... and the fact that I feel like I half to basically do have the research myself. If it were a Prius though, I am sure any dealership could have handled it.

p.s., Gary Benson @ Santa Monica has been very helpful and worked hard to get things done for me. I am NOT admonishing Santa Monica at ALL. However, I feel like for my specific needs, I want to try to find a dealership that is more adept to servicing the FRS specifically. When I took my car in for an oil change... they told me they haven't worked on many PERIOD, so I half-heartedly understand. I wish there was specific training for the FRS, but I know I'm asking too much there.
Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #34
ironsurfer129

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Garage
I am planning to go get my car service this weekend as well as get few of the recall issue fix.

Do I need to print out the TSB when taking my car in? Will they know what I am talking about?
ironsurfer129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #35
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken

Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
If its a recall no. If its a TSB yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #36
ironsurfer129

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone knows dealer that are mod friendly? Will they reject my service because I have exhaust
ironsurfer129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #37
SliverBrz

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ limited
still looking for subaru dealer
SliverBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #38
DarkestBuddha

Drives: BRZ limited GBS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
still looking for subaru dealer
srsly
especially now that i think i just got the crickets. . .
DarkestBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #39
Amir Ghadiri

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Rancho Santa Margarita Toyota/Scion has been good in my experience
Amir Ghadiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #40
ihaskrayon
The Comedian

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Subaru dealer you guys go to?

South Coast Subaru is garbage...

My window is making a very loud squeel when I roll it up and down and want to get it fixed. There is also another blemish on my passanger side window and it needs to be replaced. I also just got crickets, but I guess I can live with that until there is a real fix
ihaskrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #41
laley81
Scion FR-S

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Don't go too glendale Toyota! There horrible! Try Bob smith toyota in foothill. They are nice.
laley81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to laley81 For This Useful Post:
roosahorn (01-04-2016)
Old 09-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #42
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla35 View Post
Maybe I was unclear, but there already is a thread for dealership PURCHASING... I want a thread started for SERVICE as in MAINTENANCE for your FRS...

Hope I made things clear.
I'm sorry but I can't find the dealership thread for PURCHASING that you speak of. Can you post a link here? Thanks!

Tags
dealerships, oil change, service, socal