follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #43
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
i called you that because i believe you to be one! no mystery there! i admitted that i was wrong,and don't believe anything else is necessary would you shoot me now,tar and feather me,or (heaven forbid) make me join a protest group outside the capital trying to impeach obama. i say it like it is! if i'm wrong,then i "man" up and admit it.i have done this already,
what's the matter? you never made an honest mistake in your life?
put it to bed! let's move on! f**k it! (lol!)
Yep, that's my official title now, thanks for that!

You still seem to have trouble making the distinction between being wrong/changing your mind and being a deceptive liar. I can't help you any further there, you're on your own.

Curious, your comment about Obama. In addition to being as random as any of your other attempts at insults, it too seems to contradict your long held notions. You are suggesting that it would be a bad thing for me to force you to stand outside the capitol protesting in favor of impeaching Obama?

I find that a bit odd. First you flip on the auto transmission, now you flop on Obama? Here's a sample of your previous comments regarding Obama...

Quote:
you must be one of those dunces that will vote for the "shitbag" obama,after all, you come from "gangster" city! (lol!) ehe! he! he!
Quote:
ohh my god! they shat on your engine!
must be obama mice!
Quote:
eh! he! he! yeah! i think he voted for obama!
Quote:
he voted for obama too! he's entitled! ehe! he! he!
Quote:
yup! told the wife if obama wins,i'm gonna go after all the free stuff too!
yay for me! eh! he! he! i'm entitled!
Quote:
naaaw! i like the obama phone,obama fuel,obama tuition,obama food!
list is endless! yay for me! ehe! he! he! (hot damn!) tired of payin' for everybody else! me too!.(lol)
Quote:
that's right! what the f**k is wrong with you? you know you
should never take a nice car to an "immigrant" sh**hole!
you know they don't give a f**k about anybody.all they want is
free obama stuff! f**k everybody,and everything else!
I'll "say" one "thing" about you, you are a "treasure trove" of "tragic comedy". eh! he! he! he! ehheehehhehehehheheheheheeeeheeheheheheeeee33333!! (L@WL!!)

The Following User _________ Stay_Puft(09-13-2014)
Says Thank You to
MmmHamSandwich For
This Useful Post:

MmmHamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MmmHamSandwich For This Useful Post:
a.beck (01-18-2013), Ocala FR-S (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #44
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
LOVE the low speed driveability. No more jerky shifting, especially in traffic. I would not have said it was better than the DSG while in regular mode, although I do find it nice, but when you put it in sport mode the rev matching down shifts, and just overall feel of the shifts are amazing.

Of course I hate that it's STILL a regular torque converter and the inherent drivetrain loss that goes along with it. But you can't have it all.
Thanks for sharing. I figured it was due to the low-speed driveability (where I agree with you, traditional auto > dual clutch). When I drove the auto FR-S, I didn't pay that much attention to the shifts and responsiveness. Good to hear Toyota has learned to make traditional automatics quicker and more responsive.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #45
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I drove the automatic before I drove the manual. It's really good, but I would never trade slush for stick in this car.
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #46
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori. View Post
I drove the automatic before I drove the manual. It's really good, but I would never trade slush for stick in this car.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #47
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Garage
Try it at AutoX, it'll change your life.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #48
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
I have yet to try my AT FR-S at an AutoX, though I intend to. I attended several with my old Si, loved it.

How is the AT in an AutoX? I imagine being able to effortlessly downshift into 1st and quickly catch 3rd and bang down to 2nd would be a notable advantage over our MT counterparts.

Says Thank You to
MmmHamSandwich For
This Useful Post:

Old 01-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #49
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmHamSandwich View Post
I have yet to try my AT FR-S at an AutoX. I drove at a few with my old Si, loved it.

How is the AT in an AutoX? I imagine being able to effortlessly downshift into 1st and quickly catch 3rd and bang down to 2nd would be a notable advantage over our MT counterparts.
God, its how I first fell in love with the car. Its so responsive with quickly being able to downshift into a corner while braking ever so lightly only to burst out of a corner with the amount of oversteer the car has. It truly is the ultimate feeling of "race car". I have yet to master the gearing as I got pretty tail happy quite a few times... ask @Guff, but dont ask about my cone incident
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exhaust For This Useful Post:
Guff (01-18-2013), MmmHamSandwich (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #50
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Quote:
God, its how I first fell in love with the car. Its so responsive with quickly being able to downshift into a corner while braking ever so lightly only to burst out of a corner with the amount of oversteer the car has. It truly is the ultimate feeling of "race car". I have yet to master the gearing as I got pretty tail happy quite a few times... ask @Guff, but dont ask about my cone incident
Hey that's ok. I taped the front of my Civic, though everyone told me not to worry though since "cones can't hurt your car."

I managed to oversteer my Si and absolutely side swiped a sideways cone at about 30. Put a nice dent in my running board. So much for cones being harmless.
If you're not eating cones regularly, you're not going fast enough I say!

I can't wait to AutoX mine. I will say at low speeds this thing will step out on you real quick! I am anxious to push the limits in a controlled environment. I have been taking it pretty easy on public roads.

Says Thank You to
MmmHamSandwich For
This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to MmmHamSandwich For This Useful Post:
Guff (01-18-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #51
BRZPDX
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Garage
I was a firm believer of "MT" only as well. After test driving it twice, I was sold on this AT box. My cars in the past were Suzuki Swift GTI (MT), Impreza L '96 (MT), Lancer OZ (MT), Impreza WRX '03 (MT), Volvo C30 T5 R Design (MT), and then my BRZ (AT).

I am pretty pleased with the (M) mode in this AT but it does have some weird lag issues around 2500rpm and 3500rpm(torque dip?), maybe its an engine issue rather than the gear.

Also it may be placebo, but gear shift speed seems to change when I rev the engine more. When just cruising in low rpm, the gear shift speed seems much slower.

I feel like a much better driver with this AT, than was on my MT since I have never taken professional driving lessons and such.
BRZPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #52
SweetSandMan

Drives: 2012 Mazdaspeed 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
This is seriously not a good time for your "tapatalk" signature to pop up at the end of a post.
I'm not 62...I'm 24 and drive a Mazdaspeed3...it's nearly expected that an immature pun would be my tapatalk signature.

I Tapped that
SweetSandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #53
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Quote:
actually that's how I tested the automatic, at that Scion first drive course.
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #54
Ocala FR-S

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I came from a 335i sport coupe with MT that was great fun. I was ready for a change. I bought the FR-S AT mainly due to reading positive reviews and extensive descriptions of the features. I knew I wanted it and am very happy with my choice. At 1,300 miles I'm only scratching the surface of what the transmission can do. With the different modes and the ability to use the paddles in any mode. The combinations for approaching shifting are almost endless.

Regular mode is so good I'm finding it too easy to not explore the features near as much as I should. I'm thinking of dedicating a week to driving purely in manual mode with the radio off. I need to develop paddle reflex, a natural feel for shift points in varying conditions, knowing what gear I'm in without looking and generally gain proficiency in traffic. There is a surprising amount to learn and unlearn compared to MT or basic AT. It's very capable and easily as interesting and challenging as any MT I've had. I'm looking forward to plenty of fun.
Ocala FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #55
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSandMan View Post
I'm not 62...I'm 24 and drive a Mazdaspeed3...it's nearly expected that an immature pun would be my tapatalk signature.

I Tapped that
I thinkLaika meant that your "I Tapped that" signature was awkwardly weird just because of the scenario you were giving about your grandparents. (Please correct me if I'm wrong Laika)

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #56
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
yes! this makes perfect sense as the gearing is slightly different,hence the
difference in gas mileage,but they STILL kept the gearing adequate for performance purposes.
Actually reports are that the gearing in the auto (which is much higher - 5th in the auto is actually a longer gear than 6th in the manual) is not ideal for acceleration even under way because the wider ratios result in the engine rpm dropping into the 4-4.8K "torque trough" on upshift even when you shift at redline, something that does not happen on the manual. Wish they would just use the same ratios as found on the manual box, but apparently that would have cost more as the current auto is a (slightly modified) off-the-shelf part.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote