follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List
Crosscharge, go_a_way1, MisterSheep, poudre

Old 08-10-2021, 10:56 AM   #19279
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
Did you order a new set of guide pins? From your description, this seems in a need to be changed. Also, I would suggest a little bit of cleaning on the abutment area (wire brushing that).
Also, an anti-seize between hub and rotor may help next time you havr to change.
The pin actually looked flawless, just had some excess old (but not dry) grease jammed down the end of the hole. I didn't hit it hard enough with the hammer to worry about bending it and made sure it was properly seated before tapping it. The plastic (why is there a plastic section?) didn't show any deformation either.

Unfortunately I do not currently have a wire brush (didn't see a hand held one when I was at the store) but I did liberally coat the inside mounting surfaces of the new rotors with anti seize (the outside has a coating but not the inside )
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #19280
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
The pin actually looked flawless, just had some excess old (but not dry) grease jammed down the end of the hole. I didn't hit it hard enough with the hammer to worry about bending it and made sure it was properly seated before tapping it. The plastic (why is there a plastic section?) didn't show any deformation either.

Unfortunately I do not currently have a wire brush (didn't see a hand held one when I was at the store) but I did liberally coat the inside mounting surfaces of the new rotors with anti seize (the outside has a coating but not the inside )
The tolerances and working of the guide pins are not easy to explain here, but a good practice is to change it whenever tgey are seized/stuck. The grease is not responsible for that (grease can get stuckish very cold situation, but it is not what is going on here). I did not yet disassemble a brz brake (if someone has an old briken, I can disassemble and look in details), but I think you’re mentioning that one of the pins has a rubber insert on the tip, this has several functions, including performance during hard braking, noise and so on. Take a look on the piston and pin boots, of looks brittle, replace those.

Also, replace hardware (clips, specially for anti-drag feature, if available)

Last edited by Stonehorsw; 08-10-2021 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Anti drag?
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #19281
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,325 Times in 7,383 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Ordered a wrap for the car. Just doing the hood, roof, and trunk lid in a geometric pattern. There are so many DGM cars out there I want mine to look a little different. I am also filling in my OE spoiler holes, so now I don't need to paint it, just primer.
soundman98 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #19282
CrowsFeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
The tolerances and working of the guide pins are not easy to explain here, but a good practice is to change it whenever tgey are seized/stuck. The grease is not responsible for that (grease can get stuckish very cold situation, but it is not what is going on here). I did not yet disassemble a brz brake (if someone has an old briken, I can disassemble and look in details), but I think you’re mentioning that one of the pins has a rubber insert on the tip, this has several functions, including performance during hard braking, noise and so on. Take a look on the piston and pin boots, of looks brittle, replace those.

Also, replace hardware (clips, specially for anti-drag feature, if available)
I think you're misunderstanding what I was describing. The pin moved freely but was 'bottoming out' on the old grease inside the guide hole. once that grease was removed (pulled out when it stuck top the tip of the pin) the pin was able to go all the way in to the guide hole as well as moving freely.

The pin itself is metal at the end but has a ribbed plastic sleeve for about 1" near the tip. Found a picture of a similar one (no hex portion on ours, just 2 flats)

Piston boots and guide pin boots were good; metal clips for guiding the pads were replaced and greased.

I've done a number of brake jobs on a number of vehicles. That's part of what makes it so frustrating when a simple job like replacing brake rotors and pads becomes a long drawn out pain.

I think I now prefer the setup I had on my german cars; pins are screwed into the caliper bracket and the caliper glided on the pins as opposed to this setup where the pins are bolted to the calipers and the pins glide on the mounting bracket. No way for air/grease/etc to get stuck inside the glide hole.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #19283
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I think you're misunderstanding what I was describing. The pin moved freely but was 'bottoming out' on the old grease inside the guide hole. once that grease was removed (pulled out when it stuck top the tip of the pin) the pin was able to go all the way in to the guide hole as well as moving freely.

The pin itself is metal at the end but has a ribbed plastic sleeve for about 1" near the tip. Found a picture of a similar one (no hex portion on ours, just 2 flats)

Piston boots and guide pin boots were good; metal clips for guiding the pads were replaced and greased.

I've done a number of brake jobs on a number of vehicles. That's part of what makes it so frustrating when a simple job like replacing brake rotors and pads becomes a long drawn out pain.

I think I now prefer the setup I had on my german cars; pins are screwed into the caliper bracket and the caliper glided on the pins as opposed to this setup where the pins are bolted to the calipers and the pins glide on the mounting bracket. No way for air/grease/etc to get stuck inside the glide hole.
So you like Conti FSIII (Golf) setup, seems like. Their ZN is also good. I like Colette types for other reasons (mainly related performance).

Now I got what you meant, and I never saw a similar failure, with the grease loosing their properties to a point that becomes a impediment for the guide pin to bottom (i would expect the grease to move and create space).
Whenever I have to rotate the tires, I will take a look on those brakes (I think those are Tokico’s, but need to verify). See if they have anything unusual.
Two flats on guide pin is not ideal…
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #19284
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Installed a Garmin Catalyst. Sometimes I think the Garmin discount I get is a curse. Makes me buy to many Garmin things.

Name:  D64E0535-0E69-4367-8B68-1826D9492544.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  331.4 KB

Name:  D3A64DD7-F523-4806-B220-B251F0D27667.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  284.3 KB
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (08-14-2021), Dzmitry (08-16-2021), Jdmjunkie (08-18-2021), MrSkubi (08-19-2021), NoHaveMSG (08-15-2021), villainous_frx (08-27-2021), wolffbite (08-16-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 05:14 PM   #19285
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
From traveling for funerals, vacation, field work, buying a house and living in general I’ve neglected installing the Edelbrock unit I bought in May(?). Taking a couple days off to do it leisurely. Installed a new led unit in my garage to work w.
Attached Images

dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dpfarr For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (08-20-2021), norcalpb (08-27-2021), soundman98 (08-18-2021), Stonehorsw (08-18-2021), Wally86 (08-19-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 03:46 PM   #19286
Danathin

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited
Tinted the front windshield today:

Louvers last weekend:

Danathin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danathin For This Useful Post:
2020BRZtS (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #19287
CrowsFeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathin View Post

Is that legal where you live? I guess you don't plan on driving after dark.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #19288
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Louvers last weekend:

Holy crap... you can't possibly begin to convince me that you can see ANYTHING at night time. Especially in CO roads. On top of that, this HAS to be illegal or I'll be mind blown. I guess on the positive side, the BRZ LED's are bright as hell, and may do a decent job of helping you see something...
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
villainous_frx (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #19289
Danathin

Quote:
Is that legal where you live? I guess you don't plan on driving after dark.
I'm sure it is not. Drove it at night yesterday and had 0 visibility issues and hit a pretty dark road. Bought a used FRS years ago that had the same tint preinstalled when we got it so we knew it wasn't an issue. Had that car from 2016-2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Holy crap... you can't possibly begin to convince me that you can see ANYTHING at night time. Especially in CO roads. On top of that, this HAS to be illegal or I'll be mind blown. I guess on the positive side, the BRZ LED's are bright as hell, and may do a decent job of helping you see something...
Ok I won't convince you, but we can. It's a little dark in the mountains but this car doesn't see nighttime out there very often anyways. We have a 4runner for that. This is a weekend cruiser. Owned for 2 1/2 years and less than 12k miles. Definitely illegal but cops seem lenient on that. Also, basically every single person in the US with tint on their front windows is illegal. Most tint laws are written that if you have ANYTHING (including stock) on the rear windows you can't have anything on the front. No one goes and removes their rear tint to tint just the front.

Comparative pic:

Dzmitry (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #19290
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ok I won't convince you, but we can. It's a little dark in the mountains but this car doesn't see nighttime out there very often anyways. We have a 4runner for that. This is a weekend cruiser. Owned for 2 1/2 years and less than 12k miles. Definitely illegal but cops seem lenient on that. Also, basically every single person in the US with tint on their front windows is illegal. Most tint laws are written that if you have ANYTHING (including stock) on the rear windows you can't have anything on the front. No one goes and removes their rear tint to tint just the front.
Interesting. I have a hard time seeing through the "visor" tint in my front windshield at 20% at night. But I rarely need to be looking that high up anyway, so it never bothers me. I would think with such a dark tint as you have, it would be a serious issue, but if it works for you then it works... As you say, you're not driving it much at night anyway so I guess that takes the worry away. Good luck!
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #19291
Danathin

Quote:
Interesting. I have a hard time seeing through the "visor" tint in my front windshield at 20% at night. But I rarely need to be looking that high up anyway, so it never bothers me. I would think with such a dark tint as you have, it would be a serious issue, but if it works for you then it works... As you say, you're not driving it much at night anyway so I guess that takes the worry away. Good luck!
Wait are you thinking this is darker than 20%? The sun and black interior may have made it look worse. This is "only" 35% so it's not even as dark as our side windows which are 15% all around. Completely agree 20% would be brutal at night - 35% pushes it but we've never ran into an issue for us.
Dzmitry (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 12:38 PM   #19292
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I can see it now. A post on the BRZ curse!
Attached Images

Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (08-27-2021)

Tags
+20 hp, :popcorn:, bragging because we can, brz driving master race, brz whore, damn daniel, dirty frs peasants, fart can, how to waste energy, how to waste money, how to waste time, i like turtles, lazy mods, many tagz, omg pages are fixed…, outlawstar98isanoob, pages are fucked up, pages still fucked, ricers, riflewuzhere