follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2023, 11:13 AM   #1639
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,325 Times in 7,383 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Hybrids have their place, for someone like me or my dad who used to commute 100 miles a day, they are not a great solution since most of our driving is highway and freeway. At the time he was working he had an old CRX that he paid like 1500 bucks for that got around 45mpg, about the same as a Prius of the time. He went through 2 engines and 2 transmissions in that car. I'd imagine living in town in stop and go traffic they do a lot better.
Dadhawk (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 11:24 AM   #1640
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Drives: what
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Hybrids have their place, for someone like me or my dad who used to commute 100 miles a day, they are not a great solution since most of our driving is highway and freeway. At the time he was working he had an old CRX that he paid like 1500 bucks for that got around 45mpg, about the same as a Prius of the time. He went through 2 engines and 2 transmissions in that car. I'd imagine living in town in stop and go traffic they do a lot better.

how is 45mpg not a great solution? especially considering that a CRX is incredibly unsafe in a crash compared to a modern vehicle
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:04 PM   #1641
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires View Post
how is 45mpg not a great solution? especially considering that a CRX is incredibly unsafe in a crash compared to a modern vehicle
45 is what the CRX got. When you are blue collar I guess you roll the dice on value VS crash safety of a new car He did go to a Scion XA that he had the last few years he worked, it also got mid 40's, similar to Prius of same era.

Point being, highway commuting I don't see the value of a hybrid. In town driving, absolutely better than pure ICE.
Dadhawk (07-07-2023), soundman98 (07-07-2023), Wally86 (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 12:30 PM   #1642
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hybrids have their place, for someone like me or my dad who used to commute 100 miles a day, they are not a great solution since most of our driving is highway and freeway.
Personally, I much prefer the Chevy Volt drivetrain to a typical hybrid drive train. I still find the Volt battery lacking though.

What I would prefer is a PHEV with a 200 mile electric range, and a Volt style generator so that the vehicle is always (well 99% of the time) running off the electric engines even when burning fuel.

(And, yes, I know the Volt has some situations where the gas engine assists with driving the wheels)

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 07-07-2023 at 01:31 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 12:33 PM   #1643
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
45 is what the CRX got. When you are blue collar I guess you roll the dice on value VS crash safety of a new car
Yea, that's always in play. Heck, a 2024 vehicle is going to be safer than my 2013 FRS, thanks to additional nannies and cameras, etc, etc.

Ultimately not everyone can go out (or wants to go out) and buy a new car until they actually have to, or maybe never (choosing to always by used, and sometimes REALLY used cars).

Last edited by Dadhawk; 07-07-2023 at 01:29 PM.
NoHaveMSG (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 01:00 PM   #1644
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Personally, I much prefer the Chevy Volt drivetrain to a typical hybrid drive train. I still find the Volt battery lacking though.

What I would prefer is a PHEV with a 200 mile electric range, and a Volt style generator so that the vehicle is always (well 99% of the time) running of the electric engines even when burning fuel.

(And, yes, I know the Volt has some situations where the gas engine assists with driving the wheels)
As a day to day commutor, grocery getter I could get away with something that only got 100 miles in cold weather. I would buy it too if they were out there at a decent price. I am not paying 30K for a vehicle to fit that role unless it can fill a lot of other roles for me.
Dadhawk (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 03:34 PM   #1645
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Curious of @Irace86.2.0 's opinion on this.

https://www.thedrive.com/features/to...-evs-heres-why

It's what, in my view, anyone with half a brain already knew.
We had the hybrid discussion below:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...postcount=1584

Most hybrids have a 10-30% improvement in fuel efficiency, but EVs have 3x the fuel efficiency, so it isn't really a comparison why we are moving to EVs. The argument by the article is that we could move more cars to battery vehicles if we use one EV battery for multiple hybrid batteries, and this is true if we had bottlenecks in battery material supply chains that pushed the cost of EVs up, but that is yet to be seen, and we have mandates for EVs from governments, so getting people into battery vehicles faster isn't an issue of battery supply. Hybrids have been around for a long time, and their popularity hasn't really grown. It wasn't until Tesla showed that EVs could be economical and have better performance that hybrids started to be built to appeal to people wanting a performance improvement and not just an economy improvement (contrast the CRZ hybrid for lackluster performance for a mild economy improvement to the Rave4 Prime, or compare the Prime PHEV to the hybrid).

I've said this before, but I think there is a place for manufactures to make PHEVs for many people who need the range. Their batteries can be big enough to give them 50-70 miles of range, which is good enough for most people's daily needs, while still having the ICE backup. I still think the majority of people will just choose an EV because it will be less complicated, it will likely have better performance and driving characteristics with having more frunk/trunk space and cabin room than comparable PHEVs. Compare the price of a hybrid Rav4 and Prime and the EV bZ4X, and the Prime is more expensive than the EV and weighs only 30lbs less, yet the EV is AWD and the Prime is FWD.

Again, the premise of the article is that:

--We could get people into more fuel efficient vehicles faster. Well, yes, this is true. They could say all new vehicles would need to be at least PHEVs by a sooner date or increase the targets from only a fraction EVs to that same fraction plus the rest can only be PHEVs, so 100% plug-in, but they can mandate all electric too. I would like to see them push PHEVs, so we have 100% plug-in-capable, so no new ICEs are sold, but I don't know if this is too aggressive for the industry to adapt.

Quote:
EPA officials calculate that their proposal would require between 54% and 60% of sales of 2030 models and 67% of 2032 models to be zero-emissions. In comparison, the California mandate, adopted last August by the Air Resources Board, requires 35% of new 2026 cars sold in California to be zero-emissions, increasing to 68% in 2030, until reaching 100% in 2035.

About 19% of new cars sold in California last year were zero-emissions (1).
--EVs are expensive, so PHEVs would be better. As I showed, they are about the same as a PHEV.

--Batteries will get more expensive to make because of material cost bottlenecks, so PHEVs will be cheaper. This is speculation, and we typically see the opposite where prices of production drop, as volume increases. We will likely see more lithium production come online like what Tesla is doing to make battery-grade lithium. Refining is the bottleneck, not lithium mining/supply.

--We need PHEVs until we can build out the grid and infrastructure. The growth of EVs is still small. Even if we were mandating all new vehicles be EVs, we are growing only 6% per year, and maybe less if some EV owners are replacing cars with EVs. Every home has a charger in one form or another, and we can add more superchargers to the grid faster than we will need them, so it is mostly about building green energy infrastructure, but this is only going to happen when there is demand, so utilities aren't sitting around doing nothing. I don't see this as an issue. Wind and solar are the cheapest and fastest forms of energy to build, and we can build all types of non-lithium-ion-based storage systems. I don't know that we need PHEVs because of the grid, especially if 90% of their propulsion is suppose to come from the grid.

The best case for PHEVs is high mileage users and trucks, in which case, I'm onboard using them over larger batteries.
NoHaveMSG (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 03:42 PM   #1646
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post

The best case for PHEVs is high mileage users and trucks, in which case, I'm onboard using them over larger batteries.
I have a lot of interest in a hybrid truck but with everything going on I am holding out to see what the future holds with BEV trucks. I'd like to make some kind of decision in the next couple years.
Old 07-14-2023, 02:05 PM   #1647
Irace86.2.0

So Texas is making so much power from wind and solar at peak generation and during peak use that the grid can't disperse the power fast enough. They will either need to upgrade their grid, or they will need to work on local (to the energy generation sites) storage solutions, so they don't waste energy.

One form of local storage is battery storage in BEVs by charging them during peak times. There are other storage solutions like the Rondo battery, to name one of many solutions.

This article highlights two problems: the need for comprehensive improvements to electric grids, and growth/supply of energy infrastructure can outpace demand. Many people continue to suggest that there is no way we can grow the grid fast enough to accommodate BEVs, but this highlights the fact that growth can outpace demand, and that BEVs could be a part of the solution through local energy storage.

***The quotes from the article assume no investment in the grid, but continued investment in energy production.***

Texas solar and wind are setting records, and the state’s grid can’t handle it

https://electrek.co/2023/07/13/texas-solar-wind-grid/

Quote:
Texas solar and wind are going to double by 2035, but if the state’s grid isn’t upgraded, then all that power is going to go to waste, according to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA).
Quote:
Our analysis shows that on days with more wind and solar generation and strong system electricity demand, limited transmission line capacity restricted wind and solar generation flows, and curtailments occurred. These types of curtailments account for 36% of the projected curtailments in 2035, which could be reduced by upgrading the transmission system.
Quote:
In 2022, ERCOT curtailed 5% of its total available wind generation and 9% of total available utility-scale solar generation. By 2035, however, the EIA projects that wind curtailments in ERCOT could increase to 13% of total available wind generation, and solar curtailments could reach 19%.
Quote:
The Texas grid isn’t connected to any other US grid, so it can’t shed or share load where there is a supply-demand imbalance for electricity – and that’s why it had such major problems in the Big Freeze of 2021.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:00 AM   #1648
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Can't use liquid salts? I don't follow it much but I thought that's what solar plants did for storage. Hell, could also do water pumping....though on that scale...nevermind, lol
Old 07-27-2023, 11:12 PM   #1649
Irace86.2.0

Seems like axial flux motors like the Koenigsegg below and Mercedes below might be a big hit with enthusiasts in sports cars. About a third the weight of a radial motor, but might require shifting a few gears, which could be ideal for some car enthusiasts.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...5&postcount=10

https://www.thedrive.com/news/why-ax...g-deal-for-evs

bcj (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 06:05 AM   #1650
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/27/ford...er-losses.html
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 07:45 AM   #1651
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
No real surprise there. A lot of capital layout to get this up and running. Of course, the longest pole in the tent remains the charging network for long distance travel, and renters.

The acceptance of the NACS (the Tesla plug) by the major OEMs helps, as well as the recent announcement of the coalition to create a charging network for both standards.

If this all comes to fruition I think it will be a different environment in two to three years.

soundman98 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 10:00 AM   #1652
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I knew that all EVs fell short of their published range, but this seems a little dishonest:

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...tteries-range/