follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-22-2020, 05:13 PM   #2493
craigb

Drives: 2013 BRZ • 2014 Frontier • 1984 SVO
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hello all! I recently bought a high-mileage BRZ off of a fellow forum member from another forum that we have both been members for a long time. He bought this 2013 BRZ new and put many of miles commuting to work and back. Racking up a whopping 266k miles before leaving it with me on a cross country trip to pickup a new car.

It's in pretty good shape for the miles, but of course is not bran new by any stretch. The transmission and engine are original, but the top end of the engine had the valve spring recall done at some point. Clutch is of course not original. The transmission does make a fair bit of noise, but it's not any worse than some Mustang T5s I have had. Engine is still quite strong and with a bad launch I managed a 15.50 @ 90 at the track this past Friday. I plan to get some more runs in on a quieter night, it's difficult to run a car and work at the same time. Yes, a dragstrip manager bought a car that turns.

Future plans aren't much, drive it as much as possible since it gets double the MPGs as my Frontier. I'd also like to get back into Auto-X, once Covid dies down and the local SCCA chapter can use the lot at the college again. May even try some rallycross again.

As you can see, the mileage has taken it's toll on the lenses. I've given them a quick polish, but will need to a more in-depth sand and polish later.

Replaced the fender that was dented with the part supplied by the seller. Fit well, but is not quite the right color.

Thanks for having me here, hope to learn about these vehicles and enjoy this one to it's fullest!

craigb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to craigb For This Useful Post:
albert (11-22-2020), Dzmitry (09-23-2020), p1l0t (11-14-2020), pallen (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #2494
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigb View Post
Hello all! I recently bought a high-mileage BRZ off of a fellow forum member from another forum that we have both been members for a long time. He bought this 2013 BRZ new and put many of miles commuting to work and back. Racking up a whopping 266k miles before leaving it with me on a cross country trip to pickup a new car.

It's in pretty good shape for the miles, but of course is not bran new by any stretch. The transmission and engine are original, but the top end of the engine had the valve spring recall done at some point. Clutch is of course not original. The transmission does make a fair bit of noise, but it's not any worse than some Mustang T5s I have had. Engine is still quite strong and with a bad launch I managed a 15.50 @ 90 at the track this past Friday. I plan to get some more runs in on a quieter night, it's difficult to run a car and work at the same time. Yes, a dragstrip manager bought a car that turns.

Future plans aren't much, drive it as much as possible since it gets double the MPGs as my Frontier. I'd also like to get back into Auto-X, once Covid dies down and the local SCCA chapter can use the lot at the college again. May even try some rallycross again.
Very cool! That's some amazing mileage on original engine and tranny, I knew these things could hold up with good maintenance. I plan on beating mine forever as well, enjoy!
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #2495
craigb

Drives: 2013 BRZ • 2014 Frontier • 1984 SVO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Very cool! That's some amazing mileage on original engine and tranny, I knew these things could hold up with good maintenance. I plan on beating mine forever as well, enjoy!

Thank you, Dzmitry!

Speaking of beatings...

craigb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigb For This Useful Post:
albert (11-22-2020), Dzmitry (09-28-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 03:17 AM   #2496
jromero99

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Premium
Hey guys!! My name is Jose, I’ve had my 2017 Subaru BRZ Premium since April. I’ve been really loving the car since then till now. I opted for the 6 speed manual (also my first manual car). Mods since the purchase date: Muffler and Resonator delete with a 2 inch welded pipes and some ambient interior lighting. Not much done but planning on building a nice daily. Hope to learn and assist any way I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jromero99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jromero99 For This Useful Post:
Guru Woodman (10-11-2020), p1l0t (11-14-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 01:09 AM   #2497
therealstoly

Drives: 2020 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Been lurking here for several months and joined to say 'thanks' for endless hours of well spent research and reading. New to the platform but not new to the joys of driving a slow car fast. I've built several Miatae and a SVX in my recent past.

Of note, I appreciate the tip on 17x8 vs 17x9 RPF1s in the what will fit the PP thread. I damn near bought yet another set of 17x9 +35 out of habit and that wouldn't have ended well for me.

I picked up a new 2020 w/ PP over the summer and haven't yet hit 5K miles. I'm new to the area but have seen a few other's in the Santa Cruz mountains I tend to solicit on the weekends. A quick rundown includes...

17x8 +35 RPF1 w/ 235/45 Toyo R1R

I'm accustomed to daily driving with Hankook RS-4s but couldn't find any in stock and decided to experiment with the Toyo R1R. They're... okay. Fine, even. Meh. Throwaways which is why I went with /45 instead of the usual /40. Wanted to see if there is any behavioural differences that are noteworthy or beneficial for the sometimes rough roads/junctions/bridge and overpass joints/et al.

Eibach springs and OEM Sachs. Waiting on Emilio (949Racing) before I upgrade. I see that Ohlins have again continued their tradition of disappointing everyone that is required to have a license plate and drive on public roads by offering a similar bastard package for the BRZ as they did when they took my money for one of my NB Miata.

Some SPC bits to buy some camber and suspension has been tuned by Auto Innovations.

Some Cusco bits to stiffen the chassis... and by some, I mean all the Cusco bits including the C-Pillar brace (which I have to admit I quite like as an interior mod) and the wholly unneeded brace behind the rear bumper.

STI 'short' OEM shifter, some Perrin bits in addition to the 2.5" Perrin catback exhaust, Private Label overpipe, and FT86 UEL catted header. Injen CAI and OFT Stage 2 round out my nearly boring addition to the group.

I do need to circle back around and reevaluate and recalculate bushings, braces, and sways but I'm hellbent on being able to actually hear music so the OEMPlus audio upgrade is next on the list. Better handling will just have to wait and be my Christmas present to myself.

Cheers.

therealstoly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to therealstoly For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 08:59 PM   #2498
OMGItsPete

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Hi everyone!

I'm Pete from Perth, Western Australia.

I sold my R34 Skyline earlier this week and just picked up my 2014 BRZ
This will be in inbetween car until Nissan release the 400Z in a few years, but I'm excited to have some fun with it.
Already ordered a Pioneer AVH-ZL5150BT head unit to replace the dodgy stock one and not sure what I'll do after that.
I should probably just enjoy the fuel economy considering I'm used to a car that only got 350kms to a tank, but I'm already eyeing off a Greddy turbo kit haha

A couple of questions if iI may?
1. Does the stock engine sound like a tractor on idle, or is it just me?
2. Did I score something special with an STI exhaust or did that come from the factory?
Attached Images

Last edited by OMGItsPete; 11-13-2020 at 09:06 PM. Reason: trying to add pictures
OMGItsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMGItsPete For This Useful Post:
albert (11-22-2020), p1l0t (11-14-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #2499
DriftMethod

Drives: '20 BRZ Ltd PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi all! I recently purchased an Ice Silver '20 Ltd with PP. Been debating about waiting for the '22 to be revealed, but I liked the current version so much I figured I should grab a new one before they're gone. Looking forward to getting through the break in period.

Plan on keeping it close to stock for a while. Maybe a set of wheels/tires for summer and camber bolts. But the more I read the forums, the more I want to upgrade. Almost seems like I need to get headers and a tune to be a "real" BRZ owner.

Thanks everyone for sharing the knowledge!
DriftMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DriftMethod For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 03:36 PM   #2500
cbcgood

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited MT WRB
Greetings guys! I'm recently in the market for a used BRZ and find a 2015 Series Blue with under 60k miles. I'm now looking somewhere in Boston to do a pre-purchase inspection before I make the purchase. I have been browsing BRZ contents for a while and really can't wait to get behind the wheels!
cbcgood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cbcgood For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (11-25-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #2501
platinumEX

Drives: '13 BRZ
New here? Come say hi =)

New user here. I owned an auto FR-S a couple years ago briefly before flipping/reselling and always knew I wanted to get a manual at some point.

Just picked up a '13 BRZ manual from an insurance auction a few weeks ago (theft recovery with minimal damage). It already has TEIN Z coilovers, TRD exhaust and unequal length header (haven't checked out what brand yet). It came with some wide 18" Enkei RPF1s that are pretty chewed up. I'll be getting it back in shape over the next few weeks. Already purchased new staggered 18" Enkei TX5 and a new bumper. Will post some pics and maybe start my own thread as things progress.

Last edited by platinumEX; 11-25-2020 at 02:45 PM.
platinumEX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to platinumEX For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #2502
KamiSama

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ Limited
Hello All! I picked up my 2020 Subaru BRZ Limited on Saturday. I am loving the heck out of it. Since I couldn't find the AE86 for a reasonable price and not completely trashed, I went for the new kid on the block. I am immensely enjoying this car so far and I am proud to be part of the community.
KamiSama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KamiSama For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (11-25-2020), Stephen W. (11-25-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #2503
D20Z

Drives: 20 BRZ
New owner. Car is being shipped soon. 2020 White BRZ Limited. Auto. Have had many manual machines. First sports auto was 17 M2 with DCT. With traffic prevalent auto eases the driving stress. Was difficult choice manual or auto. We shall see but auto it is for now.

What is the opinion of the Sports Exhaust STi as an option. Have Perf Pack wheels on standby to be picked up tomorrow. Will be sourcing an improved braking system, hopefully Brembo to be applied, hence the need for the wheels to clear that new system in the future. I also enjoy the look of them.

Sold my 20 WRX and now will experience BRZ. Also in the past I owned a new 15 STi. Fun machine. That was sold for the M2. The other member of the stable is a 18 BMW 440i X-Drive Gran Coupe.

Happy to learn about the BRZ and share driving life and car fun with all of you. Cheers, David
D20Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D20Z For This Useful Post:
HaXx (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #2504
LizBRZ

Drives: 2018 BRZ Anniversary Edition
New Anniversary ed. BRZ owner

I'm Liz, a 54-yr-old Dr's office manager and nurse who works full time, and finally was able to get the kids grown and ditch my Expedition EL daily driver. I still have that beloved beast, however, which gets me where I need to go in inclement weather and off-road, and hauls anything or anyone, but it was time for a car that is FUN TO DRIVE for a lady who LOVES TO DRIVE.

The BRZ, as you know, is just the car for that kind of person. I stumbled upon a used, single owner 2018 Anniversary model in nearly pristine condition with 18k miles. I am tearing it up on the quiet suburvan roads, and just about weep in disappointment with my 5-mile commute, so sad to be pulling into my driveway. I want to drive it all the time. When people ask if it goes "fast," I tell them it is the most exhilarating time you can have going from zero to 45mph, lol.

I have done some NASCAR Driving Experience time, so when I say I love to drive I am not kidding, and the fact that I can have a great time just going to work and back makes this midlife crisis purchase a good one. I'm sure I'll have questions and want to get some experienced opinions about certain things I notice, so I look forward to reading through some threads and getting informed about this relatively new car that (as a manual transmission limited model) seems oddly analog and refreshingly basic.
LizBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LizBRZ For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-09-2020), cliff (12-10-2020), Guru Woodman (12-09-2020), HaXx (12-07-2020), p1l0t (12-17-2020), platinumEX (12-07-2020), soundman98 (12-07-2020), Stephen W. (12-08-2020), therealstoly (12-07-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #2505
SkoczuArtek

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017
Hi All
I recently purchased BRZ, previously owner of Celica 7th gen
SkoczuArtek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkoczuArtek For This Useful Post:
Guru Woodman (12-09-2020), p1l0t (12-17-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 11:18 PM   #2506
Vell20

Drives: WRB 2020 BRZ
Hello everyone, finally purchased a 2020 BRZ. I have been looking at these cars since they came out and finally am able to get one a few days ago, Merry Christmas to myself haha. Currently going to get a big snow storm so it is in the garage, also need snow tires for it if anyone has good recommendations on that. Hopefully get some better photos up here of it when the weather is better!
Vell20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vell20 For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-07-2021)