follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #29
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The SI never really appealed to me over twins. I ended up just buying a basic Corolla hatch for some fun FWD grocery do it all car/wifes car. FRS is my daily to work/weekend fun car. I have struck a delicate balance and that balance does not include the SI. Which just isn't fun enough and not practical enough, too middle of the road for me.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #30
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I had a WRX STI sedan for moving around the whole family, 2 adults, 3 kids, BUT, now they have their own cars so I got a 86.

If you need to put people in the back for more than 15 minutes, get the WRX.

The WRX and the Civic looks like any old Kia or Hyundai, the twins, well they just look sweet.

Do you need a grocery getter that comfortably fits 4-5 humans with legs? If yes get WRX.

If you only need a sweet little cheap RWD sports coupe, that fits 2 adults and 2 very small kids, get one of the twins.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #31
squelchy451

Drives: Pending
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I haven't driven the WRX, but had the Si for 4 days (drove a lot in those 4 days though) and it struck me as somewhere between my mk5 GTI and a Toyota 86 (which I had for a week). If you don't need a ton of cargo space, a quiet highway ride (Si is still loads more quiet than any Subaru I've been in and not louder than a 3rd gen Mazda 3), or an automatic gearbox, the Si is a better car. If I had to get a brand-new automobile and it couldn't be the BRZ or the Civic Type R, then it'd be a Si sedan.
squelchy451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #32
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Don't forget the Hyundai Veloster N. 2021 addresses the cheap seats and adds a DCT as options. I just wish the type R sounded like the N. I just love how the N sounds for a turbo 4 which is hard to make sound good

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #33
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Don't forget the Hyundai Veloster N. 2021 addresses the cheap seats and adds a DCT as options. I just wish the type R sounded like the N. I just love how the N sounds for a turbo 4 which is hard to make sound good

The JCW Mini does some of the same stuff with sound.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #34
squelchy451

Drives: Pending
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post

The biggest flaw for me for the Civic Type R is there's no custom driving mode...it'd be a simple software feature. The dampers are set up beautifully in comfort mode, but steering and throttle response is very meh.

Exhaust can be taken care of very easily by the aftermarket guys.
squelchy451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:39 PM   #35
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by squelchy451 View Post
The biggest flaw for me for the Civic Type R is there's no custom driving mode...it'd be a simple software feature. The dampers are set up beautifully in comfort mode, but steering and throttle response is very meh.

Exhaust can be taken care of very easily by the aftermarket guys.
Maybe I'm young, but I don't much care for comfort modes suppleness. It feels very(too) bouncy to me. Where it is nice though is when the road conditions are just that bad and bumpy.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #36
pallen

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
There's lots of fun cars, but the thing I kept coming back to with the BRZ/86 is just how low to the ground you sit and the view over hood - nothing but two little fender bumps and open road. You cant get that with many cars like the Civics, WRX, Camaros, etc.

The only cars I've been in that had that same feel was a friend's old Porsche 914, another friend's Fiero, and my old MKI MR2. The 914 and Fiero had seats bolted flat to the floor - your feet went straight out in front of you. The MR2 sat up a little higher, but not much. They were all such a thrill to drive and ride in because of that.
pallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #37
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Garage
The 86/BRZ platform is a really good one if you know what you like and if you like to drive. I actually owned an FK8 CTR for awhile, admittedly never crazy about the styling it was a great car to drive. Honda did a good job, but I still felt the comprises, I have a daily for work and an SUV for a family hauler so a 4 door hatch didn't make sense. I can see why so many would use it as their primary car but it for me it didn't make sense. Strangely I never found myself wanting to go for a drive, and when I did you can only use so much of the power responsibly. Side note I did get pulled over in it but that's another story for another day. Anyway when I owned by BRZ and my FRS prior I would find any reason under the sun to get behind the wheel because of the way this car feels to drive. Long story short...well I guess not really lol I parted ways with the CTR and am still awaiting my 2020 Hakone 86, hopefully COVID doesn't ruin that, back up plan is a BRZ ts. 86/BRZ for the win for a fun car, SI if it will be your only car for commuting and what not.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #38
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Garage
Oh and RWD all the way!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2020, 03:20 AM   #39
Dzzzz

Drives: 2020 brz pp
Had a 2018 si coupe for two years before it got flooded about two months ago. I upgraded bbk with lightweight rotor, lighter wheels (10lb lighter than stock), intercooler, intake exhaust, rmm Lowering springs control arms and a tune. It pulls hard for a 1.5t when turbo kicks in, otherwise quite sluggish in low rpm. And it handles surprisingly well especially with summer tires. Got my 2020brz about 3 weeks ago and I like it so far, more than the si for the most part. First I like the look of the brz better, second is I like how responsive the engine is. It feels more lively in lower rpm but I felt the si pulls a lot harder at higher rpm with boost. I never liked the clutch in the si, the rev drops very slow even with a tune that deletes the rev hang. I like how fast the rev drop in the brz, however, the rev drops in the brz are not consistent, it hangs and rev drops slowly when I eased into the gas but no rev hang when I’m harder on the gas pedal. Hopefully a tune will fix the inconsistency. Also, the brz feels so much lighter than the si despite the fact that it’s about 80-100 lbs in weight difference in stock form; with the upgrade I had with the si it should be around 2800lb. The ride between the two are very similar, it’s firm but not uncomfortable at all. Si has a more quiet cabin and the sound system is way better than the brz. I always like the brz because of the look, and I always wanted the wrx, I never considered getting an si before test driving one and it surprised me. For the price, the si is a bargain, I got mine for 24k otd, it gets 40mpg on the highway and it’s mod friendly. Price of the wrx has rocketed compared to the last gen. And the price of the brz was up there so getting an si was a smarter move financially imo, plus I worried abt rwd during snow season. I’ll Put some nice snow tires on it and see how it does this winter.
Dzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzzzz For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (07-20-2020)