follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
jm1681

Drives: MKVI VW GTI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GT86 springs on FR-S dampers?

I wasn't getting what I was looking for while searching, so I do apologize if this has been asked/answered before.

Basically, I'm wondering if the 86/FR-S/BRZ dampers are interchangeable.

After riding in my friend's BRZ, I think the stiffer front, and softer rear rates of the OEM 86 springs would be more to my liking, I just don't want to screw things up by putting them over dampers that are valved specifically for the FR-S' spring rates.

Oh, and if I'm alright to swap them, any idea where I can get them?
jm1681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,243 Times in 2,964 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
I'm not sure the posted rates for the GT86 are confirmed. I'm not sure where you could source them...look to Europe or perhaps AVO could get a set from Japan.

The dampers for the BRZ and the FRS have been dyno-tested to be essentially identical by us and at least 2 other sources.

I do prefer the OEM BRZ feel to the FRS. You might like our RCE Yellow performance springs...we went with a firmer front and milder drop than most other lowering springs. Very happy with the result.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
jm1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I'm not sure the posted rates for the GT86 are confirmed. I'm not sure where you could source them...look to Europe or perhaps AVO could get a set from Japan.
Well that stinks, but it's a good idea you have for trying to get a set

Quote:
The dampers for the BRZ and the FRS have been dyno-tested to be essentially identical by us and at least 2 other sources.
That's also good to know. Makes me feel better about running 86 springs on my stock setup.

Quote:
You might like our RCE Yellow performance springs...we went with a firmer front and milder drop than most other lowering springs.
I'd be about it, but the problem is the drop, even a mild one I can't afford ANY loss of clearance, (A) because I'm in the Northeast and this is my only car, and (B) because I won't make it up my driveway >.<

I've been thinking BRZ springs would also help get me where I want to be, but really, feeling the behavior of my friend's car compared to mine, I imagine the GT86 springs would just feel even MORE stable. Then again, maybe the BRZ is the perfect balance between the two.

My friend and I will be giving our cars a try at an auto-x this weekend, and maybe, I can try and take a drive in his BRZ to give it a solid comparison.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,243 Times in 2,964 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Some BRZ front springs might be an easy solution for you. I'd also think about a larger front swaybar.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
jm1681

That's an interesting idea, maybe a best of both worlds That only makes me think though, with rear of the FR-S being as stiff as it is, would the stiffer GT86 springs (If they are in fact stiffer than BRZ springs) be an even better choice

For now though, not a bad idea. It occurs to me now of course that I could just hit the classifieds to try and pick up a set of stock BRZ springs XD