follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #29
BrettRS

Drives: 2016 Ford Focus RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks @Ultramaroon @pope and @Tcoat for all the help in the this and the other thread yesterday.

I have gone ahead and ordered to EPS steering motor + ' column ECU ' from this listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293700450530 . For posterity for all of you in the internet future, I will attach a screenshot of this Ebay listing so you can visually see the two pieces that I ordered. I am not 100% sure this is for a push-button start, like my car is, so if it is the wrong part, I will add that to my next follow-up after I receive the parts.

I've asked the seller to reach out to me so I can provide a label for next day shipping, so I can get it in before the weekend -- we'll see what happens with that request.

Depending on when I get the parts, I'll provide some follow-up. Plan is to install both, hopefully have the failure scenario presented by @pope (EPS works but new warning lights come on, no traction control, etc), and then will take it to the dealer for calibration with techstream.

I am sure I will be back with questions on how to pull the EPS motor, but there is another thread relating to pulling the EPS motor that is on Page 1 of this thread and it includes detailed instructions for doing it to get rid of a rattle, so I'm hopeful I can follow along and get both pieces replaced by myself.

At the sage advice of my advisors on this topic, I will be asking the dealer to NOT complete the valve spring recall, either when I take it in for techstream calibration or when I fail at this fix and tell them to go ahead with the steering column replacement.

Thanks again for the help everyone, sorry for being a bit of a pest (of course, only when I need something) in the daily thread.
Attached Images

1996 Mazda B4000 Pick-Up Truck
1987 Bertone X1/9 Convertible
BrettRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #30
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Link to service manual in my sig line. Good luck!
Old 04-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #31
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
@BrettRS I haven’t dealt with the steering ecu, so I can’t speak to its interchangeability, but the lower column/motor is (or should be) the same regardless of ignition type. Only the internal catch point for the steering lock in the upper half varies between key and keyless cars. If you are careful with positioning/alignment (and lucky) while you reconnect the various splines you might even get away with not needing to recalibrate the steering center.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
BrettRS (04-09-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 07:29 AM   #32
gatorac
Chin Track Event Manager

Drives: 15 Series Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Car-part.com is another resource for finding used parts locally. There may be a junkyard near you with the part you need.
09 Comp Yellow NC
20 Gladiator tow vehicle.
gatorac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatorac For This Useful Post:
BrettRS (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #33
BrettRS

Minor update...I was working on the Fiat last night for hours and had to clear the driveway to get it out of the garage. First time I've started the BRZ since I drove home from the dealership on Tuesday was last night.

When I started it to clear the driveway, noticed to EPS warning light didn't come on and had steering, but I've had that happen for a few seconds before so didn't think anything of it. Stopped working on the Fiat around 10PM and pulled it back into the garage (OOOK, FINE, WE HAD TO PUSH IT INTO THE GARAGE!).

Started the BRZ up to pull it into the driveway. Again, no EPS warning light, pulled it into the driveway and let it run in the driveway for 10 minutes and had a snack.

Came back out expecting to see the EPS warning light return. No light though. Decided to back it out of my driveway and take it through the neighborhood. Drove around my neighborhood and all it's tight turns for around 8-9 minutes. No EPS warning light, still had power steering.

Parked it at 10:30 last night and decided if I had no warning light in the morning, I was going to drive it into the office and see if I was able to get the EPS light to come back and lose power steering. 15 minutes later at 7:45AM this morning, I turned the car off at the office, never lost power steering, still no warning lights.

So, somehow, it has gone from a constant failure to 'fixed' (I know it isn't fixed) from the time I drove it home from the dealership without power steering until I started it 2.5 days later in my driveway. Never unhooked the battery or anything. Didn't get rain or anything...nothing changed.

I'm kind of shook now. I think I'll drive it over the weekend as much as I can, have my GF keep driving the truck, and see if I can get the EPS light to come back and see if I can make it lose power steering again. Because there's no chance I am tearing into it to replace the EPS motor and column ECU if I can't get it to fail again. So need to get it to fail again before the parts arrive next Tuesday (vendor wouldn't expedite shipping for me).

I'll keep y'all abreast on any failures I can get out of it again...
The Following User Says Thank You to BrettRS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #34
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettRS View Post
Minor update...I was working on the Fiat last night for hours and had to clear the driveway to get it out of the garage. First time I've started the BRZ since I drove home from the dealership on Tuesday was last night.

When I started it to clear the driveway, noticed to EPS warning light didn't come on and had steering, but I've had that happen for a few seconds before so didn't think anything of it. Stopped working on the Fiat around 10PM and pulled it back into the garage (OOOK, FINE, WE HAD TO PUSH IT INTO THE GARAGE!).

Started the BRZ up to pull it into the driveway. Again, no EPS warning light, pulled it into the driveway and let it run in the driveway for 10 minutes and had a snack.

Came back out expecting to see the EPS warning light return. No light though. Decided to back it out of my driveway and take it through the neighborhood. Drove around my neighborhood and all it's tight turns for around 8-9 minutes. No EPS warning light, still had power steering.

Parked it at 10:30 last night and decided if I had no warning light in the morning, I was going to drive it into the office and see if I was able to get the EPS light to come back and lose power steering. 15 minutes later at 7:45AM this morning, I turned the car off at the office, never lost power steering, still no warning lights.

So, somehow, it has gone from a constant failure to 'fixed' (I know it isn't fixed) from the time I drove it home from the dealership without power steering until I started it 2.5 days later in my driveway. Never unhooked the battery or anything. Didn't get rain or anything...nothing changed.

I'm kind of shook now. I think I'll drive it over the weekend as much as I can, have my GF keep driving the truck, and see if I can get the EPS light to come back and see if I can make it lose power steering again. Because there's no chance I am tearing into it to replace the EPS motor and column ECU if I can't get it to fail again. So need to get it to fail again before the parts arrive next Tuesday (vendor wouldn't expedite shipping for me).

I'll keep y'all abreast on any failures I can get out of it again...
Looks more and more like a communication issue someplace. Maybe that dead spider finally fell out of a connector!
BrettRS (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 11:43 AM   #35
BrettRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Looks more and more like a communication issue someplace. Maybe that dead spider finally fell out of a connector!

Lol yeah, there are a few other threads on this forum where people suggest inspecting / reseating a few of the steering column connectors when people experience EPS failure. When I have some daylight and some time this weekend, I'll go back to those threads and identify the connectors they were saying to inspect and check them out. Maybe I'll find a burnt connector housing or something, will report back and results.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #36
BrettRS

Well, I drove it a lot this weekend. No more EPS failures or warning lights.

Not sure what to do at this point, other than tell GF to be careful driving and let me know if EPS light ever comes on again.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrettRS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 02:48 PM   #37
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettRS View Post
Well, I drove it a lot this weekend. No more EPS failures or warning lights.

Not sure what to do at this point, other than tell GF to be careful driving and let me know if EPS light ever comes on again.
It'll come on again. Classic electrical intermittent. Lack of use coupled with daily slight thermal cycling and the connection re-establishes itself. It'll fail again with some jostling. Super frustrating.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #38
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It'll come on again. Classic electrical intermittent. Lack of use coupled with daily slight thermal cycling and the connection re-establishes itself. It'll fail again with some jostling. Super frustrating.
Or.... the dead spider fell out. Not even joking. Have had it happen. Poor spider.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:01 PM   #39
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Or.... the dead spider fell out. Not even joking. Have had it happen. Poor spider.
Legitimate possibility. Based on the diagnosis, I suggest inspecting this area on the failing unit. I haven't disassembled one - @ermax - but this looks suspiciously like an interface for a rotary encoder, or a syncro resolver. Might get lucky.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:47 PM   #40
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

Where I’m from and in the field of work I do, we call that “Earwig Syndrome”.
Earwigs (pincher bugs) would crawl between electrical contacts for warmth and when it was time to start the motor, they would keep the contacts from properly closing, initiating a service call. Sometimes they would burn up in the process.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-13-2021), Ultramaroon (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #41
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Where I’m from and in the field of work I do, we call that “Earwig Syndrome”.
Earwigs (pincher bugs) would crawl between electrical contacts for warmth and when it was time to start the motor, they would keep the contacts from properly closing, initiating a service call. Sometimes they would burn up in the process.
Had that as well.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:24 PM   #42
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Electrical problems are such a nightmare hope this is permanently resolved!