follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2021, 03:40 AM   #15
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
. Both cars are a mild refresh of the old chassis with a new engine, so the points made in this video will still stand
Great video, and if you have traffic- and LEO-free roads like that to drive, Harris is no doubt right. Being a 2 day drive from those kinds of roads, other factors come more into play, like tractable power and liveability.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
TommyW (04-13-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #16
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
Driving context also influences this choice for some of us. Do you have ready access to winding roads, or are you limited to driving a grid? If I lived in a twisty-road environment it would heavily push me towards the new twins.
In Toronto roads (generally straight line, grids, and low speed limits), I'm thinking slow-car-fast is the way to go. It's a scenario where, since I can't enjoy twisties, I'm enjoying the engagement of making each shift. I feel like I'd be a bit bored with underutilizing the car if I'm always having to upshift under 3k rpm to stay legal... Maybe I should just get a kei car....
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 11:43 AM   #17
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
In Toronto roads (generally straight line, grids, and low speed limits), I'm thinking slow-car-fast is the way to go. It's a scenario where, since I can't enjoy twisties, I'm enjoying the engagement of making each shift. I feel like I'd be a bit bored with underutilizing the car if I'm always having to upshift under 3k rpm to stay legal... Maybe I should just get a kei car....
Yes I sometimes lean that way myself. Even my current 8 second car accelerates quickly enough for typical in-city driving, and it's fun to go WOT occasionally for longer than one or two seconds and get a shift or 2 in at high rpm. I'll test drive both the Z and at least one of the twins before deciding.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (04-12-2021), Tcoat (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 12:24 PM   #18
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I feel like I'd be a bit bored with underutilizing the car if I'm always having to upshift under 3k rpm to stay legal...
that's my issue with the BRZ/86.. u get no power until the higher RPMs, and ppl think u're a ricer wanting to race every single time... cops have the same perspective too (aka the twins are of the most ticketed cars in America)... it gets really, really old
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:04 PM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
that's my issue with the BRZ/86.. u get no power until the higher RPMs, and ppl think u're a ricer wanting to race every single time... cops have the same perspective too (aka the twins are of the most ticketed cars in America)... it gets really, really old
Ironically the FRS (not the BRZ or 86 just the FRS) was #2 for SPEEDING tickets in 2019. It dropped right off the list in 2020.
That has nothing to do with driving in the higher RPMs and says more about the drivers than the cars. You don't get speeding tickets for getting up to the limit only for going over it.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ts/2016498001/

https://insurify.com/insights/car-mo...-tickets-2020/
Quentin (04-21-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 01:20 PM   #20
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Great points and discussion guys. I share the opinion that despite a claim I read that the 400z will be 3250lbs the real weight will be 150 more. I've never been in a Z car so maybe I'll check a current one out but I've always been turned off by sports cars that on paper have the weight and size of a GT. The new BRZ is probably the closest available thing to a perfect car for my uses but I can't get over the thought of wanting something more powerful and more special as my last sports car. That's why I'm still considering the M2 and Cayman S. The problem with those is I have difficulty justifying the cost, considering how little I drive my car (about 1500mi/yr). I want a 200lb lighter BRZ that doesn't feel like an underpowered kid's car and costs $40-45,000. Oh, and the rear glass should lift up like the Z's for loading odd size items (bike with both wheels off) while the seats are down.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:47 PM   #21
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ
Quote:
New BRZ looks like a$$, the new Z looks sweet.

400 hp vs 228? Not even close in terms of performance. I would get the Z any day over the new BRZ. BRZ/86 fanboys will keep arguing that their cars are the best thing that ever happened to them, but this platform is so underpowered and unreliable

You are just projecting your feelings at this point. Did the twins really bully you that badly?
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (09-05-2021), Zacharary (05-04-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 02:03 PM   #22
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
Great points and discussion guys. I share the opinion that despite a claim I read that the 400z will be 3250lbs the real weight will be 150 more. I've never been in a Z car so maybe I'll check a current one out but I've always been turned off by sports cars that on paper have the weight and size of a GT. The new BRZ is probably the closest available thing to a perfect car for my uses but I can't get over the thought of wanting something more powerful and more special as my last sports car. That's why I'm still considering the M2 and Cayman S. The problem with those is I have difficulty justifying the cost, considering how little I drive my car (about 1500mi/yr). I want a 200lb lighter BRZ that doesn't feel like an underpowered kid's car and costs $40-45,000. Oh, and the rear glass should lift up like the Z's for loading odd size items (bike with both wheels off) while the seats are down.
Let me be honest with you. Get the M2 if it's going to be your last sportscar. The M2 and its many variations right now I would consider to be more special than the BRZ/86. It's probably the only M car worth the money.

A BRZ will never be as special as an M2, just like how an M2 will never be as special as an NSX.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #23
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Let me be honest with you. Get the M2 if it's going to be your last sportscar. The M2 and its many variations right now I would consider to be more special than the BRZ/86. It's probably the only M car worth the money.

A BRZ will never be as special as an M2, just like how an M2 will never be as special as an NSX.
Totally agree and I'm currently trying to get an idea of cost and availability and trying to justify the cost. It'll live in a garage and see little use in perfect conditions. I could probably sell it in 20 years for almost what I paid. The reviews make it sound like the perfect hooligan car vs the Cayman's stuck-to-the-racing-line style.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #24
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ironically the FRS (not the BRZ or 86 just the FRS) was #2 for SPEEDING tickets in 2019. It dropped right off the list in 2020.
That has nothing to do with driving in the higher RPMs and says more about the drivers than the cars. You don't get speeding tickets for getting up to the limit only for going over it.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ts/2016498001/

https://insurify.com/insights/car-mo...-tickets-2020/
i'm sure if someone tracks fix-it tickets or excessive exhaust volume tickets, the twins will be up there too
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSideFRS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 02:28 PM   #25
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
i'm sure if someone tracks fix-it tickets or excessive exhaust volume tickets, the twins will be up there too
Along with Civic sedans and old Neons!
Old 04-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #26
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
Totally agree and I'm currently trying to get an idea of cost and availability and trying to justify the cost. It'll live in a garage and see little use in perfect conditions. I could probably sell it in 20 years for almost what I paid. The reviews make it sound like the perfect hooligan car vs the Cayman's stuck-to-the-racing-line style.
Having these special cars is never about resale value. Too many people think like this. I don't doubt you could get a pretty penny for it in 20 years, it will be wanted for sure, but what would be more important to me is in 20 years if she's still running and clean, are the memories and feeling that car gave me. I could never give it up.

Special cars shouldn't just be a transaction waiting to happen, they should inspire you, you should know what you want without having to debate pros and cons. Budget obviously comes into play, but if you truly want something special, ask yourself what is it to you that makes these steel boxes on wheels special and I think you'll find your answer.

If the cost of the M2 is so in your mind (and you can afford it), I don't think it's special enough for you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (04-12-2021), Tcoat (04-12-2021), The Red One (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #27
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
If the cost of the M2 is so in your mind (and you can afford it), I don't think it's special enough for you.
Well said. A used M2 is on my 'next car short list', as is an E92 M3. But if the new twins feel as special as the first gen, I'm not sure the BMWs would make it on top for me. The twins feel so much more special than they should have any right to, in a way no spec sheet or even car review can properly convey. And it won't be like that for everyone.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (04-12-2021), Quentin (04-21-2021), ZDan (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #28
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Well said. A used M2 is on my 'next car short list', as is an E92 M3. But if the new twins feel as special as the first gen, I'm not sure the BMWs would make it on top for me. The twins feel so much more special than they should have any right to, in a way no spec sheet or even car review can properly convey. And it won't be like that for everyone.
There is definitely something about the twins that is just unexplainable. It's easily greater than the sum of its parts, and there are very few cars like this.

It's like a few steps behind an S2000..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (04-12-2021), Tcoat (04-12-2021), Willpower (04-13-2021), Yoshoobaroo (04-12-2021)