follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #29
TRD-X

Drives: Da-Big Banana
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
It's an awesome car that you come to appreciate more as you drive it, like MikeM53 said. I feel sorry for those who feel the need to re-badge or bolt all sorts of ugly-ass shit to it. If you don't like the FR-S/BRZ, you really need to just buy a better car.
Awesome post..!!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #30
michaelosx

Drives: FR-S Whiteout 6AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I have never felt immediately comfortable in a car I've never driven before. It takes me a few days to decide how I like the seat positioned, where I want the steering wheel adjusted, etc. Even the thickness of the steering wheel can feel weird at first, if the vehicle you came from was different.

In the FR-S, it took me about a day to realize, with great relief and humility, that the cloth seat shoulder strap was meant to keep the seat belt from cutting into my neck. Likewise, the seats felt too firm and narrow to me at first, but now I love them. Even the center console, with no armrest, initially made me uncomfortable. I kept repositioning my right hand and arm to find a comfortable place for them.

This would happen with any car that is new to me. Like a new pair of shoes or jeans, you need to break everything in. You need to transition from feeling like you are driving a new car to feeling like you are driving YOUR car. Once it feels like your car, you can decide what is good or bad about it.

Motortrend and other professional car reviewers spend hours driving vehicles, often sharing and comparing notes with peers when formulating reviews. Anything less is just an initial impression which, while valuable, is not a full review.

Finally, I do not find the interior to be "tacky" at all. The only thing I plan to change inside is to eventually add an OEM armrest. Until then, I'm using the much less expensive Zeta armrest. The interior of my car is a functional cockpit. It says, "Let's drive."

Last edited by michaelosx; 07-06-2013 at 09:42 PM.
michaelosx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaelosx For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-08-2013), Tromatic (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #31
5th 86

Drives: 2013 BRZ SPORT TECH
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnirenstein View Post
Do these cars live up to the reliability of a typical toyota?
Should be better since subaru is more reliable then toyota, but then again we be baggin on these while the average toyota driver is just going to be puttin around and not racecar
5th 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #32
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelosx View Post
Even the center console, with no armrest, initially made me uncomfortable. I kept repositioning my my right hand and arm to find a comfortable place for them.

Finally, I do not find the interior to be "tacky"; at all. The only thing I plan to change inside is to eventually add an OEM armrest. Until then, I'm using the much less expensive Zeta armrest. The interior of my car is a functional cockpit. It says, "Let's drive."
I have found the FR-S to be the most comfy car I have driven. I have a gooned up back, and the worst part is getting in and out. I don't have any issue at all with the center console. I can let both of my arms (elbows) hang naturally without hitting anything. I have a cheapo pillow if I do need an arm rest. 'Zactly right. Unlike some cars, you sit "in" this car if that makes any sense. This car, to me, really is a budget "supercar" in many ways. The first hit is free, as they say. I'm just grateful I have one.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tromatic For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-08-2013), michaelosx (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #33
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnirenstein View Post
Thanks for the feedback horrorbiz! Seems like everyone thinks the frs is from a different place ahah.
Isn't the FR-S built in Freedonia?
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #34
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Or Elbonia in the Dilbert strips - everything is a meter deep in mud.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #35
DriftZen

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Location: In deep meditation powersliding around a street corner
Good review seemed honest & real instead of a lot of other reviewers who either just talk crap or rave on and on about it.

That being said, it was a little boring & you did seem a little nervous at the start of the review.

But all in all a lot better than most reviews
DriftZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #36
pnirenstein

Drives: BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftZen View Post
Good review seemed honest & real instead of a lot of other reviewers who either just talk crap or rave on and on about it.

That being said, it was a little boring & you did seem a little nervous at the start of the review.

But all in all a lot better than most reviews
Thanks for the kinda words DriftZen! I think if it was shorter it would probably be less boring. What do you think?
pnirenstein is offline   Reply With Quote