follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2021, 02:32 AM   #1
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Transmission noise when clutch pedal released.

Hey all,

At 32,239 miles, I went ahead and changed my transmission fluid with Redline MT-90 and although the shifts are more or less buttery smooth, I often times get that clunk at the end of a shift into 2nd or 3rd. Recently I started noticing a whine when I add some throttle in neutral. I have no idea how long this has been going on for, but I know it wasn't there when the car was newer. However just now, 1,900 miles later, I started noticing a strange noise when idling. I have narrowed the noise down to the transmission.

When I push the clutch pedal in, the noise will go away. (Is the transmission even supposed to be under load when the car is in neutral w/ clutch out?) This is contrary to my research here which shows the TOB may be the problem only if there is noise when the clutch is pressed in? Please see the video that I took that shows my issue.

Is this the textbook symptoms of a TOB or would it be something I should be far more concerned for? When I changed my fluid, I put the exact amount of fluid that the manual calls for + a bit more, but it did not begin to drip out of the fill hole yet. Should my first step to try and open up the fill hole and add in fresh fluid until it drips out to see if it solves the problem?

By the way, you guys think the dealer will cover this under warranty if I bring the car in with catless headers and a tune? Thanks for reading.

Video:
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oxyg3n For This Useful Post:
JesseG (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,919 Times in 16,467 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, you may wish to make sure the transmission oil is topped off.

A bad TOB could make noise whether the clutch is pushed in or not.

It could just be "gear rollover" that your hearing.

As far as the dealer covering the sound, I doubt it (because it ain't broke - yet), but that might depend on how the dealer is feeling that day - I reckon it might be worth a try.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
Oxyg3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, you may wish to make sure the transmission oil is topped off.

A bad TOB could make noise whether the clutch is pushed in or not.

It could just be "gear rollover" that your hearing.

As far as the dealer covering the sound, I doubt it (because it ain't broke - yet), but that might depend on how the dealer is feeling that day - I reckon it might be worth a try.
Definitely lol, I will go ahead and fill it up till it drips out even though it is more fluid than spec. Worth a try. I have read up on some additional posts and it seems like this could be a throw out bearing issue since the sound changes depending on whether the clutch is depressed or not. I have no mechanical knowledge of this though. Only at 34k though??

I am suspecting that it can be something with my fluid change since this occurred so soon after, but I cannot think of anything I did wrong.

Say this is in fact due to the so called "gear rollover," is this something that normally develops with mileage? Since I am fairly certain that it wasn't there before, I'm going to assume it is not normal and I should not let it be.
humfrz (02-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:24 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,572 Times in 18,956 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
MT-90 is a bit thinner than the original stuff. I run it. You'll hear more gear clatter while sitting still in neutral. It's perfectly ok.

It's a good idea to double-check your level but probably no worries.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:36 PM   #5
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
Say this is in fact due to the so called "gear rollover," is this something that normally develops with mileage? Since I am fairly certain that it wasn't there before, I'm going to assume it is not normal and I should not let it be.
It whines like my "thrashed" transmission. Not badly. I'll guess that you've done a few burnouts other dumb things. Wheel hop is a bitch. It's probably fine. Just don't induce any more hard whacks and hope it doesn't get any worse.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:44 PM   #6
Oxyg3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
MT-90 is a bit thinner than the original stuff. I run it. You'll hear more gear clatter while sitting still in neutral. It's perfectly ok.

It's a good idea to double-check your level but probably no worries.
Quote:
It whines like my "thrashed" transmission. Not badly. I'll guess that you've done a few burnouts other dumb things. Wheel hop is a bitch. It's probably fine. Just don't induce any more hard whacks and hope it doesn't get any worse.
Hmm, to my knowledge I thought MT-90 was thicker than the original stuff? Wish I knew what the original stuff were. Might try to use MT-85 next.

I'm sure this new "sound" just started though, if it was due to the new fluid, wouldn't I have heard it 1,900 miles ago? Also, it's more like a soft grind/rumble than whine.

P.s. Never done a burnout before, but dealership did try to push-start my car in the past lol.
JesseG (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:50 PM   #7
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
P.s. Never done a burnout before, but dealership did try to push-start my car in the past lol.
Haha... that's not gonna hurt it. No, the original stuff is super thick. Double check your level. There's definitely some whine. Rumble is just gear clatter. Don't sweat that.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:32 PM   #8
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I’ve been thinking about changing my transmission fluid also. I’m at almost 33,000 miles. Now I’m more hesitant. I was hoping to smooth out the 1st to 2nd shift, and just overall improve the shift feel. Unfortunately transmission fluid seems to involve all sorts of black magic, just like motor oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:56 PM   #9
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
I’ve been thinking about changing my transmission fluid also. I’m at almost 33,000 miles. Now I’m more hesitant. I was hoping to smooth out the 1st to 2nd shift, and just overall improve the shift feel. Unfortunately transmission fluid seems to involve all sorts of black magic, just like motor oil.
Technique >> brandOfOil
Old 02-05-2021, 12:40 AM   #10
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Technique >> brandOfOil

2nd gear can be notchy, it’s a widely accepted quirk of this transmission. My technique for avoiding it in the cold is not shifting into 2nd until the fluid warms up.
Overall I think it’s an awesome 6 speed, and you’re right in that you can’t just slam this transmission into gear. Most of the time it takes very little force to move into each gear. It’s precise, but you have to know it’s quirks and when it’s happy or not. Same as with the S2000.
Brand of oil might have some effect, maybe the weight is the most important thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:22 AM   #11
Oxyg3n

So I just went to fill the fluid up another 200mL or so till it dripped out. Problem is still there, but I noticed that if I held the clutch pedal halfway (near biting point in neutral), the transmission would rattle/vibrate.

Would this signify if any of the clutch plates are not torqued tightly or are coming loose? Reason I'm concerned is the dealer has removed my engine before so I have no idea if they put everything back together correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if they half assed it since a bolt holding my transmission to the engine came loose at one point.

If anyone can test this on their car that would be awesome.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #12
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
So I just went to fill the fluid up another 200mL or so till it dripped out. Problem is still there, but I noticed that if I held the clutch pedal halfway (near biting point in neutral), the transmission would rattle/vibrate.

Would this signify if any of the clutch plates are not torqued tightly or are coming loose? Reason I'm concerned is the dealer has removed my engine before so I have no idea if they put everything back together correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if they half assed it since a bolt holding my transmission to the engine came loose at one point.

If anyone can test this on their car that would be awesome.
It's not the clutch. Your transmission sounds exactly like the one I've been beating on for the last 30 Kmi. I'd record it for you but at the moment...

Old 02-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #13
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,349 Times in 7,393 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
2nd gear can be notchy, it’s a widely accepted quirk of this transmission. My technique for avoiding it in the cold is not shifting into 2nd until the fluid warms up.
I run Mt-90 also, no issues shifting to second in the cold driving on the street. By the time I get my bluetooth connected and a song playing it is good to go.