follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Garuda

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Whats a Good time to buy a used BRZ, and assorted newbie questions

Hey Guys I'm really interested in getting a used BRZ sometime by the end of this year/early next year (Probably early next year) and thought I'll post some of my questions here.

I got hooked after driving my friend's 2013 BRZ early this year and have been checking this forum out once in a while . Why an used one instead of new? some back-story. I wanted to get a new BRZ, but I'm thinking of saving some money up to make a down payment on a house in a couple of years and am planning to do my Grad school next year as well. I'm a software engineer by profession (albeit only a few years out of college).The grad school, and saving up for a house is definitely going to eat into my earnings so I decided to go down the used car path.My current car is pretty old, its a 1999 Toyota Corolla (got it during college after my 2004 Honda Accord got totaled by an SUV ) but is in very good condition. I think I can definitely get a year worth of drive out of it without any issues. At the same time I'm sick and tired of driving an old car :P .

What would be a good time to buy/start looking to buy a 2013 brz? My guess is that when the 2015 model comes out the 2013 might go down a bit more in price (at least in the dealerships). Should I buy from a dealership with/without certified pre-owned? or from a private party? If I'm going to look for one end of this year/early next year..what time should be optimal.

Also, how much should I be expecting to pay for a used 2013 BRZ? (apart from KBB listings)
(Im looking for a limited trim, auto...yep...I learned driving in a manual and have driven manual cars over the years, but the traffic in my daily commute is really too much for manual driving )

Any suggestions/advice is very welcome!! Thanks guys!

ps: Can't wait to get out of the beige life.
Garuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
LadyFRZ
Car N00b

Drives: 97 Miata
Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
These cars aren't selling as well as dealer's might like, plus with the 2015s coming soon, there is no "Wrong" time to buy, especially a 2013.

Winter months no one really wants to buy a slippery RWD car, so that's something to think about.

I'm looking at the same trim you are, so if you snipe the BRZ I've been eyeing...

JK,jk. Hope everything works out for you.
LadyFRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
kberkel

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'd expect about 25k for a 2013 right now for a WRB 6 speed.. so you might have a harder time finding an auto for a good price right now. Other colors probably $500 cheaper at least.

Kinda like buying a snowboard in December.. if you wanna save money you're gonna have to play your cards right and buy late. You might be in the 23k territory or less by late fall for a fully loaded limited

You can definitely save money by going private party. The car has a good base warranty.
kberkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Garuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFRZ View Post
These cars aren't selling as well as dealer's might like, plus with the 2015s coming soon, there is no "Wrong" time to buy, especially a 2013.

Winter months no one really wants to buy a slippery RWD car, so that's something to think about.

I'm looking at the same trim you are, so if you snipe the BRZ I've been eyeing...

JK,jk. Hope everything works out for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kberkel View Post
I'd expect about 25k for a 2013 right now for a WRB 6 speed.. so you might have a harder time finding an auto for a good price right now. Other colors probably $500 cheaper at least.

Kinda like buying a snowboard in December.. if you wanna save money you're gonna have to play your cards right and buy late. You might be in the 23k territory or less by late fall for a fully loaded limited

You can definitely save money by going private party. The car has a good base warranty.
Thank you guys! Yes, your advice of waiting till end of fall/start of winter to look for a deal on the 2013 model makes total sense. I'll just have to grit my teeth till then :P

And yeah..I love the WRB color. It speaks to me in a way few other colors do

Also kberkal, the main worry I had with buying from private party was the warranty, but looking into it, I notice it has a 5/50k power-train warranty so it should be good; as you mentioned. It would be awesome If i can get a 2013 for like 20k early next year.

ps: LadyFRZ, no worries..let split Cali halfway between San Jose and San Diego; you keep the southern portion while ill hold onto my northern turf, while looking for cars.lol

Thanks again guys
Old 05-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #5
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
If you're financing, a lot of time you can get better incentives on a new car than a used one, meaning your payments or APR would be lower. Could easily make buying new cheaper in the end.

Doubt you'll get a 2013 for that much as they're holding their value well for now...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:51 AM   #6
Fang

Drives: '13 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
as other people said, depending on your area, if it snows, then they won't be selling so the dealer will move more. In addition, year end and month end all dealerships have goals they try to reach so i would say... end of dec haha, that plus everyone's spent money for christmas so usually car sales i would assume would be lower for that month.
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #7
BRZrkr

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm seeing used 2013s go for not much less than new 2014s (maybe 2k less). They are holding their value really well, and on the other hand, the 2014s are not selling too briskly. With incentives, it doesn't make much sense to buy a used 2013.
BRZrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
GreenMonster
Just doing research

Drives: 03 Acura CLS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZrkr View Post
I'm seeing used 2013s go for not much less than new 2014s (maybe 2k less). They are holding their value really well, and on the other hand, the 2014s are not selling too briskly. With incentives, it doesn't make much sense to buy a used 2013.
I'm seeing the same thing... Used BRZ's going for almost as much as a new one.

My local dealer has a 2013 CBS Limited 6mt w/ 12,000 miles for $24.9K.

Also has a new 2014 WRB limited 6mt for $26,275.

With a used BRZ, you won't get the 0.9% financing from subaru, so in the long run a used BRZ might cost more over the term of the loan once you factor in interest.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
Jac

Drives: Fiat Abarth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Last year I got my 2013 BRZ Limited with 1,800 miles for $23K just before winter (Sept) but i also waited until month end to make an offer.

Since you're in norcal I'm assuming you won't have quite the same seasonal advantage but still try pouncing on the dealership last day of the month, late in the afternoon, with the exact price you'll drive it away that same day for.

Phantom Supercharged BRZ | 205WHP / 185WTQ
Nameless FP/OP Combo

Jac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:05 AM   #10
Garuda

Thanks for details guys. Yeah if there is not too much of a diff between a 2014 and a 2013 I would probably go with a 2014. Have some time till early next year see lets so how it goes.

Also I most probably would buy it outright instead of financing..but that's only if I get a good deal. Can't really predict how things are gonna turn out by next year..but my somewhat near term goal with this car was to get a 2013 early next year, drive it for a couple of years and then drop a turbo on it :P
Old 06-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #11
dvs1270

Drives: 86 shopper, future owner?
Buy at the end of a sales quarter or when the model year swaps. Secure your own financing before you go to the stealership. They sweat more if you have it, and they can't play credit games. Don't be afraid to walk on them.
dvs1270 is offline   Reply With Quote