follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Lo

Drives: Old Saturn
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dealer equipping

I'm new to buying brand new cars. I checked how much different options would cost on the Scion tC on their website to try and get an idea of how much it could cost for the FR-S and realised some options could be either manufactury or dealer installed with the only difference I could see is the price is a bit higher for the dealer install.

Why would anyone want the dealer install if the price is higher for the exact same thing?
Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
factory warranty

which components are you interested exactly?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
duffman13
Auto-Xer

Drives: 2004 Acura RSX Type-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You run into the following issues:

Factory install - You're special ordering the car, so you'll have to wait for it to be built. The dealer will also likely be less flexible on price since it's not inventory sitting on his lot that he needs to move.

Dealer install - Price is higher because you're paying dealer labor rates for the install. You also end up with extra components laying around because they're replacing stock parts, so unless you have the storage sitting around, you bought a car that already had springs, and you just gave the dealer or the trash can a perfectly good set of stock springs.

Option 3: look at things that fail early on and cause warranty issues. They'll be on the forums in the 1st year. Hint: it's not going to be springs, exhaust and air filter. DIY the things that aren't likely to fail and require warranty work. Save you stock parts and swap back if need be (mostly referring to engine-related stuff like the intake).

If a factory SC option ever comes along though, definitely opt for the factory install. You'll make out better in the long run.
duffman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
If im not mistaken the dealer installed pricing does not include installation/paint. Its just the price of the actual part.

Personally i trust the factory more though the best option if you can manage it is just to order the parts and install yourself and sell the stock stuff ( though that may be hard for such a new car)
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Lo

Drives: Old Saturn
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
factory warranty

which components are you interested exactly?
None in particular. Simply looking at the difference in pricing from base to fully equipped.

In the tC, those that come either manufactury or dealer equipped are:
Interior:
  • Security System
Exterior
  • Fog Lights
Audio
  • Bongiovi Acoustics DPS

Note: This coming from Scion Canada's website (http://www.scion.ca/scion/build-pric...ild-your-scion)
Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
Driver

Drives: GTE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i doubt anyone will be able to "order" a FRS with specific parts. the reasoning is because A) its a limited production and B) they are made in Japan. What dealers usually do is dealer trade or request in their next allocation of Scions for a specific color or factory installed accessory a customer wants.
ie:
"mr dealer, i want a black FRS."
dealer, "okay we have a white one but can most likely locate one for you"
you, "okay great I will wait"
dealer then calles closest scion dealer with a black FRS, that dealer counters with what vehicle they want in return, either the white one you passed on or say a XLE Camry.
you don't get to "order" a black one they will just locate and trade for a black one for you.

your best bet if you want scion or TRD parts/accessories is to have said dealerships parts dept order them and then you can decide if you want to or have the dealerships technicians install them.

having said that, is their a chance that they build FRS down the road (ie: release series) with TRD or Scion accessories installed from the factory IN JAPAN, sure anything is possible but I'm not holding out for any of that.

and finally, to answer your question though LO in simplest terms. it would cost more to get fog lamps or say a TRD exhaust from the dealer because your going to have to pay the dealership to pay their technician to instal them. VS the factory installing them. DISCLAIMER: I am not claiming that the scion will offer fog lights from the factory.
Driver is offline   Reply With Quote