follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #29
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialk View Post
How much horsepower do you think a vortex supercharger and a nice exhaust would put out? I wouldnt want to get a turbo and risk blowing the pistons and such. Haha good question, I guess I just want to build a car before I get married and have to get rid of it you know?
Well for one boost is boost. A turbo setup is just as likely to cause detonation/internal damage as a supercharger setup, it's more what you're looking for in driving style. The risk will be the same, but as long as you're conservative with a proper kit you shouldn't see any longevity issues.

Giant generalization: Supercharger's are very linear in power production, more downlow torque generally, etc. Turbo's are capable of much higher power numbers, but there's a delay in the power onset. You need to do a lot of reading in the forced induction subforum and get a lot more driving experience in my opinion before you take on forced induction or that kind of power level in this car. If you've had experience with powerful rearwheel drive cars in the past, that's different.

EDIT: 300whp is the highest I've seen from the Vortech* with intercooler, pumpgas, etc. 360 WHP possible on E85.

Last edited by Nightbringer; 09-21-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #30
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
fa20club turbo

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #31
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You're 16. You've been driving for maybe a year. Spend some time getting to know your car.

Quote:
How much horsepower do you think a vortex supercharger and a nice exhaust would put out? I wouldnt want to get a turbo and risk blowing the pistons and such. Haha good question, I guess I just want to build a car before I get married and have to get rid of it you know?
It's Vortech. Not vortex.

You have the exact same dangers with blowers as you do turbos. If you're not willing to risk your internals, you shouldn't be playing this game.

Quote:
No your right. But I do alot of research every night. I wanna go to uti and learn about cars and build this dream car while im there.
Learning is all well and good, but you clearly have no idea how much things cost. If you're buying a junkyard motor, you're still going to be out thousands of dollars for the motor and trans. If you intend to buy a blower, you'll be out thousands of dollars for the blower kit.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #32
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
Well for one boost is boost. A turbo setup is just as likely to cause detonation/internal damage as a supercharger setup, it's more what you're looking for in driving style. The risk will be the same, but as long as you're conservative with a proper kit you shouldn't see any longevity issues.

Giant generalization: Supercharger's are very linear in power production, more downlow torque generally, etc. Turbo's are capable of much higher power numbers, but there's a delay in the power onset. You need to do a lot of reading in the forced induction subforum and get a lot more driving experience in my opinion before you take on forced induction or that kind of power level in this car. If you've had experience with powerful rearwheel drive cars in the past, that's different.

300whp is the highest I've seen from the Vortech* with intercooler, E85, etc. 230-250whp for an average.
That would be pump gas numbers. That kit has done over 360whp on E85.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #33
Nightbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opposed View Post
That would be pump gas numbers. That kit has done over 360whp on E85.
Ohhh very nice. Apologies, I hadn't seen.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #34
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
Ohhh very nice. Apologies, I hadn't seen.
Yea, I haven't seen him post on here in a while. I think there was another one on here that put down similar numbers on E85 as well just recently. But not as many Vortech guys on E85 that I have seen yet...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvq5VxlAW_g&feature=c4-overview&list=UUhOjR9f99CpCk53mDG0tdmQ"]Vortech Supercharged Scion FR-S Dyno with 2.87 Pulley E85 339WHP - YouTube[/ame]
Old 09-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #35
Marcoscrdo

Drives: 13' DGM Built FBM BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I was wondering if this engine could be swapped with a scion fr-s? If so, estimated, how much would it cost? and If I wanted to supercharge it also, would I have to still get a vortex supercharger for scions? Thank You
Your dream is to have a powerful car, your 16. Take it from these older guys and just take things slow. If your dad is going to spend that much money in your car that easy then just get the vortech kit.
Marcoscrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #36
Nightbringer

Definitely fun to plan and dream. I just wanted to chime in one last time on this one... I've owned multiple >400 horsepower vehicles. It may not make sense (it wouldn't have to me at that age), but I actually like the low output on this car. It sucks if you end up drag racing and trying to show off, but the car is made for handling. Take it to a twisty road and enjoy it.

I fully believe I wouldn't have learned to truly appreciate and KNOW this car and what it can do if I'd have had more power. I'd planned to go turbocharged more or less right out of the gate, but I'm happy that I held off.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #37
bolecailey

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foursix View Post
You wouldn't need a Boss 302 engine, as the 11-14 GT is nearly identical minus the intake manifold. The 13-14 GT engines are rated at 420 HP. Should do fine for a 16 yo.
There are more differences than just the intake manifold. Factory ported heads, different cams, intake manifold, forged wiseco pistons, factory oil cooler. Yes, the roadrunner in the 302 is based off the coyote, but it has a lot more to it than just an intake manifold.
bolecailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #38
Nightbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolecailey View Post
There are more differences than just the intake manifold. Factory ported heads, different cams, intake manifold, forged wiseco pistons, factory oil cooler. Yes, the roadrunner in the 302 is based off the coyote, but it has a lot more to it than just an intake manifold.
Agreed. The power difference isn't that notable but the actual component list is drastically different. The Boss is capable of vastly more after build. It's a moot point though, as OP is just looking for power and I think the Boss is just an easy nameplate.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #39
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I have a bad feeling the OP is going to wind up as a bag of meat wrapped around a pole somewhere XD

Ditch the hp dreams dude... go learn to drive your car at some track days and autocross events FIRST!
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #40
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
When I was 16, I wanted an LX 5.0 with a magnaflow and 3.55 differential. Intelligently, my parents didn't let me get one. Unintelligently, they let me get a Neon. Oh well. I almost killed myself in it a few times.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #41
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
I have a bad feeling the OP is going to wind up dead XD

Ditch the hp dreams dude... go learn to drive FIRST!
Fixed...
Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #42
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
When I was 16/17, I drove the smaller Toyota Tacoma 2dr for school and an IS350 on the weekends. I didn't have to worry about peer pressure or anything, but when I was around my friends, my objective was just to look clean. We went to the movies/dinner/whatever, i parked up and looked good. The IS was pushing 306 at the crank, and could beat most of the cars in the area, but I never let anyone see it.

You drive a friggin FR-S, one of the nicest cars to ever be released. If you are getting teased about power, just tell them to go **** themselves, then find new friends.

I may be completely wrong, but I figured it was worth throwing that out there.

Tags
engine, fr-s, modify, question, scion