follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2022, 09:58 PM   #687
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Gen.1 folks saying "I had no clearance issues in the front" — did you notice that @BlkTrax has a 2022 car?
From what I understand, the front struts there have even worse clearance than gen.1 PP Sachs, or at least as bad.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:12 AM   #688
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Gen.1 folks saying "I had no clearance issues in the front" — did you notice that @BlkTrax has a 2022 car?
From what I understand, the front struts there have even worse clearance than gen.1 PP Sachs, or at least as bad.
How is the clearance worse on the pp sachs?

I’m still adamant that the factory camber bolts used as directed by the fsm shouldhave zero clearance issues with the oe wheels, but you’ve piqued my interest.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:15 AM   #689
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Yes, I did notice. As far as I understand it, the suspension perches/struts haven't changed. The rear has that goofy body mold thing which limits you when running 255+ on the rears for something like STX.

There's someone a few posts back with a 2022 above running 245's with a 6mm spacer. If you do the math and remove 6mm from both sides of the tire, that's 12mm total. Therefore, as long as the tire is 233m or smaller, on stock offset, you should be completely fine - in theory.

And we can see this in practice with the first gens. 225 (even in a 'wide' tire like the RT660) is completely fine. Manufacturers always put enough room in there you can go from a 215 to 225 without any modifications. If for any reason it doesn't, a cheap 3mm spacer all around makes it work for absolutely sure.
timurrrr (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 09:28 AM   #690
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
A buddy is going to be running my 2017 for the first half of the year (5 events) until his 2022 comes in. I've run Motul's 0w-20 since I've owned the car. I get autocross isn't as hard on oil as track days.

Given we'll be running 3 runs each with limited time between runs and could see ambient temps at 90 or above, does it makes sense to go with a 5w-30 or am I overthinking?

The max I've seen the oil is right at 230F, single driver.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:57 PM   #691
Autoxer62

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
A buddy is going to be running my 2017 for the first half of the year (5 events) until his 2022 comes in. I've run Motul's 0w-20 since I've owned the car. I get autocross isn't as hard on oil as track days.

Given we'll be running 3 runs each with limited time between runs and could see ambient temps at 90 or above, does it makes sense to go with a 5w-30 or am I overthinking?

The max I've seen the oil is right at 230F, single driver.
I had the same thought last year and ran 5W-30, on hot days with two drivers it was hot alright, I forget what the temp said but opening the hood was painful, it got that hot. This year I just changed the oil for Castrol Edge 0W-40.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:40 AM   #692
MacSpeed

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
There's someone a few posts back with a 2022 above running 245's with a 6mm spacer. If you do the math and remove 6mm from both sides of the tire, that's 12mm total. Therefore, as long as the tire is 233m or smaller, on stock offset, you should be completely fine - in theory.
The 245 Falkens “fit” with out the spacer on a +48 but was just too close for comfort for me to run it. Less spacer probably will work but I only bought 6mm ones to get close to the max allowed offset without going over. The Falkens also run wide as hell, much wider than the yokes. When I measured the 660’s on my GS SI, they were 11mm wider per tire than RE71R.
MacSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:52 AM   #693
otter

Drives: 22 BRZ
FYI for those of you going to a Pro Solo Tour event this year in a 22 BRZ - the design of our front grill fucks with the lights in a way that forces you to deep stage. The height of the staging lights seems to line up exactly between the slats and ends up flickering on either the slat supports or the block of plastic on the low end of the grill (I wasn't able to figure out exactly where). Strongly recommend a lot of practice starts to get it figured out, or even better fab up a plate to affix to the grill to break the beam more consistently.

Last edited by otter; 03-24-2022 at 09:51 AM.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to otter For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 09:17 AM   #694
MacSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
FYI for those of you going to a Pro Solo Tour event this year - the design of our front grill fucks with the lights in a way that forces you to deep stage. The height of the staging lights seems to line up exactly between the slats and ends up flickering on either the slat supports or the block of plastic on the low end of the grill (I wasn't able to figure out exactly where). Strongly recommend a lot of practice starts to get it figured out, or even better fab up a plate to affix to the grill to break the beam more consistently.
Interesting, I didn't have this issue at the FL pro in Feb. I always shallow stage as far back as possible and didn't do any different with this car.

I had alot more trouble with trying to figure out what RPM to launch at and what RPM I was at with the dumb track mode Tach that cant be changed.

Last edited by MacSpeed; 03-24-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:51 AM   #695
otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSpeed View Post
Interesting, I didn't have this issue at the FL pro in Feb. I always shallow stage as far back as possible and didn't do any different with this car.

I had alot more trouble with trying to figure out what RPM to launch at and what RPM I was at with the dumb track mode Tach that cant be changed.
Agreed on the track mode - that RPM bar graph is fucking useless and left us guessing by sound on where to launch.

I should have measured the height of the light beam they use for the tour - I wonder if my front plate was hanging just low enough to clip it.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:57 AM   #696
MacSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Agreed on the track mode - that RPM bar graph is fucking useless and left us guessing by sound on where to launch.

I should have measured the height of the light beam they use for the tour - I wonder if my front plate was hanging just low enough to clip it.
Maybe that could be it. No front tag here in FL.

I tried putting my tablet on a magnet mount so i could see the RPM through Solostorm but was just too complicated and gave up on that.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:06 AM   #697
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Set your shift light thingy to the launch RPM you want and use that since the track mode gauge is useless
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
edj (03-24-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 09:39 AM   #698
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The season for our area started yesterday and I ran my first event in my '22 BRZ. First time ever in this platform or really anything like it.

My thoughts.

- Coming from a much larger/heavier/more powerful/less responsive car in previous seasons, I was really surprised by how much more speed I could carry though some elements and how much less braking I have to do in this car.

- Everything about the platform makes pushing the car hard easier. In my old car I struggled to figure out where I left time on the course. In this platform, it's easier to see where I need to improve.

- I finished behind two Type R's and a WRX. Need to work on that....

- Really don't think I'm going to mod enough to push me into STR. In our region there are 13 Miata's in that class and they are wicked fast, espicially the ND2's. I'd get eaten alive. I'll leave that school of piranha to feed on themselves.

- It's nice running on such a light car you don't have to mess with tire pressures much. I added enough to compensate for the cold and found at 37~38 PSI I easily kept the stock PS4's off the sidewall.

- Does TCS ever kick in at all? I didn't run in track mode since it was my first event in the car and grip was already compromised (more on that below), but had no issues getting the back end loose without any nannies kicking in. Maybe it's just less intrusive than my last car and I didn't feel them.

- The PS4's have no grip in the cold (as if we didn't already now that) and don't seem to really warm up much after usage like 200TW tires seemed to. It was 32F at my first run and warmed up to a balmy 35F by my last run. I was fighting for grip the entire time and can't wait until warmer weather and better grip to see what the car can really do.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:54 AM   #699
otter

I find the traction/stability control intrusive on the street - haven't run it on an autox course but I expect it'd just piss me off.

I'm currently struggling with a lot of push from the car, even with cautious entry speeds, and body roll making for poor transitions. Front konis are on the way which will help some and still waiting for the Karcepts bar to come off backorder. Bumping up to 245 tires, as well.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:09 PM   #700
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The TCS is *super* intrusive and will kill you on every corner exit. Delays throttle application for a half second or so after wheelspin finally stops or a slide is straightened out.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (03-28-2022)