follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Devin11498

Drives: 2013 Subaru Brz Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Invidia N1 w/ Invidia catless front pipe

Anyone here run the this setup? Im asking because i have a invidia n1 and i do plan on getting tomei uel headers but dont want to drop that much yet to make my car louder. So considering the front pipe is $200. Does the combination of the front pip and n1 make it that much louder than just the invidia n1. Note i want to make my car as loud as possible. Thank you!
Devin11498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm running the invida n1, resonated catless fp, and a catted UEL. A catless fp adds a little bit of rasp but not too much IMO. This setup gives a good amount of rumble and still keeping the drone to a minimum.
KMA KiCKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
Devin11498

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA KiCKz View Post
I'm running the invida n1, resonated catless fp, and a catted UEL. A catless fp adds a little bit of rasp but not too much IMO. This setup gives a good amount of rumble and still keeping the drone to a minimum.
So would you say the invidia n1 w/ catless and unresonated front pipe would be a lot louder than just the invidia n1 by itself?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Invidia N1 and an unresonated catless fp will be loud and raspy. Difference should be pretty noticeable compared to stock fp as that has a resonator and cat.

I understand you're trying to go for max loud, but you should consider that your future setup with (catless I'm assuming) UEL will be very raspy and droney if you don't have another resonator somewhere in the system.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:22 PM   #5
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin11498 View Post
So would you say the invidia n1 w/ catless and unresonated front pipe would be a lot louder than just the invidia n1 by itself?
I heard a big difference of the n1 by itself compared to the n1 and catless fp.

Exactly what @tyler_win_photo said. It will be raspy if you go full catless. I would recommend:
  • Have resonators to lessen the drone/fumes/rasp.

AND/OR

Keep at least one cat.
Just my two cents.
KMA KiCKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
Devin11498

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA KiCKz View Post
I heard a big difference of the n1 by itself compared to the n1 and catless fp.

Exactly what @tyler_win_photo said. It will be raspy if you go full catless. I would recommend:
  • Have resonators to lessen the drone/fumes/rasp.

AND/OR

Keep at least one cat.
Just my two cents.
No totally understand. as much as i want it to be really loud, i do take a "good sound" as priority. if it will make my future setup not as droney ill keep a resonator bc i will be full catless. Thank you
Old 02-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
Devin11498

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo View Post
Invidia N1 and an unresonated catless fp will be loud and raspy. Difference should be pretty noticeable compared to stock fp as that has a resonator and cat.

I understand you're trying to go for max loud, but you should consider that your future setup with (catless I'm assuming) UEL will be very raspy and droney if you don't have another resonator somewhere in the system.
No totally understand. as much as i want it to be really loud, i do take a "good sound" as priority. if it will make my future setup not as droney ill keep a resonator bc i will be full catless.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:43 AM   #8
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
No totally understand. as much as i want it to be really loud, i do take a "good sound" as priority. if it will make my future setup not as droney ill keep a resonator bc i will be full catless.
HKS dual resonated front pipe might be what you're looking for. My setup for kicks and giggles

JDL UEL catted headers
JDL front pipe
HKS dual resonated front pipe
ARK DT-S catback
open flash tablet

Pretty awesome. Other youths in loud cars have pulled beside me to say how good it sounds. Cold starts are brutal, but once it warms up it is reasonable. At idle all you hear is the UEL rumble, and regular "economical" driving isn't too loud. Once you put your foot down it is loud though.

The last part I put in was the headers. It added much more drone compared with the stock headers. I think it is due to the exhaust pulses colliding, but I'll take it because the torque dip is no longer noticeable
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
Devin11498

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
HKS dual resonated front pipe might be what you're looking for. My setup for kicks and giggles

JDL UEL catted headers
JDL front pipe
HKS dual resonated front pipe
ARK DT-S catback
open flash tablet

Pretty awesome. Other youths in loud cars have pulled beside me to say how good it sounds. Cold starts are brutal, but once it warms up it is reasonable. At idle all you hear is the UEL rumble, and regular "economical" driving isn't too loud. Once you put your foot down it is loud though.

The last part I put in was the headers. It added much more drone compared with the stock headers. I think it is due to the exhaust pulses colliding, but I'll take it because the torque dip is no longer noticeable
Hmmmm im very curious as to what it sounds like. I will look it up and see if i can find any soundclips.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
Shibby

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
I have an N1 and a Tomei UEL. Waiting on my made to order JDL dual resonated combo pipe in the mail...
Shibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #11
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Hmmmm im very curious as to what it sounds like. I will look it up and see if i can find any soundclips.
It sounds fantastic. I'd make a clip but my phone's mic would get blown out. The first night I had my headers on I revved past the drive thru line at In'n'Out and some guys who were crammed into a WRX shouted "Subaru!" at me, so I guess I sound exactly what you want a WRX to sound like. Its an expensive way to go about making my car sound good but I don't think I could be happier with the results. I recommend it if you have the funds. There's a lot of people who sell their N1s because the drone is too much, but it does cost a lot less than my catback
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #12
Devin11498

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
It sounds fantastic. I'd make a clip but my phone's mic would get blown out. The first night I had my headers on I revved past the drive thru line at In'n'Out and some guys who were crammed into a WRX shouted "Subaru!" at me, so I guess I sound exactly what you want a WRX to sound like. Its an expensive way to go about making my car sound good but I don't think I could be happier with the results. I recommend it if you have the funds. There's a lot of people who sell their N1s because the drone is too much, but it does cost a lot less than my catback

I know I'm definitely sticking with tomei uel headers and I'm definitely keeping the n1, as imo its one of the best looking. so the front pipe is really the only one I cant decide on.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #13
carlovestela

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FRS
If i put catless resonated front pipe? Will i get CEL?
carlovestela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #14
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlovestela View Post
If i put catless resonated front pipe? Will i get CEL?
Your might get aids....

IDK.

http://www.lmfgtfy.com/?q=frs+cel+fr...ess+front+pipe
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote