follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2021, 03:51 PM   #15
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
In your clip, I hear two different sounds. Does it click as you press the pedal, or only upon release?

Also, when you release the pedal, does it not make the sound if you slowly engage the clutch to spin up the input shaft? I ask because, if this sound is from dumping the clutch while in neutral, yeah, that's a normal knock in the transmission from harshly spinning it up through the slack.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:57 PM   #16
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostzfh View Post
@Arthur-A

Understood. Yeah driving the FRS or at least my year 2016 has been demanding and took a while to get used to. Shifts have to be on point, every single time, or else jerkiness took place. I think that's why they say that this is a driver's improvement car. The car makes you into a better driver. I've also heard that this platform is one of the hardest cars to learn manual on.
I think that when people say that the car makes you a better driver they meant it's handling and somewhat low power that will force you to make less mistakes with your cornering trajectory. Whereas on a higher power car those mistakes are less obvious. I can't see how jerky transmission will make anyone a better driver. You can learn precise rev matching on downshifting, but you don't need a jerky transmission for that. Surprisingly, on downshifting my car was very smooth regardless of gear. Even shifting to 1st while moving was smooth. It's just that 1st to 2nd upshift that was jerky sometimes. Also, it was way worse when I had that clutch spring on. After I removed it, shifting feel somewhat improved.
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #17
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostzfh View Post
@Arthur-A

Understood. Yeah driving the FRS or at least my year 2016 has been demanding and took a while to get used to. Shifts have to be on point, every single time, or else jerkiness took place. I think that's why they say that this is a driver's improvement car. The car makes you into a better driver. I've also heard that this platform is one of the hardest cars to learn manual on.
In order to lighten the clutch pedal as much as possible, they made the engagement arc way too wide and mushy. I hate the stock setup. People widely believe that the solution is in removing that helper spring in the pedal but, sadly, they are mistaken. I say this with authority because I have designed these very same systems in the past. It's a balancing act to get the right feel. Another part of the issue is a necessary evil because the clutch holding torque was specified to preserve the transmission.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77390
Old 07-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #18
Arthur-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
In your clip, I hear two different sounds. Does it click as you press the pedal, or only upon release?

Also, when you release the pedal, does it not make the sound if you slowly engage the clutch to spin up the input shaft? I ask because, if this sound is from dumping the clutch while in neutral, yeah, that's a normal knock in the transmission from harshly spinning it up through the slack.
That first sound is a sound of the fully pressed clutch pedal contacting the floor. It doesn't click. That second loud clunk is the sound when I release the pedal. I released the pedal quickly, but it's not a clutch dump. It also clunked when I released the pedal smoothly with moderate speed - as if you're start moving from a stop.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
That first sound is a sound of the fully pressed clutch pedal contacting the floor. It doesn't click. That second loud clunk is the sound when I release the pedal. I released the pedal quickly, but it's not a clutch dump. It also clunked when I released the pedal smoothly with moderate speed - as if you're start moving from a stop.
Hmmm... Interesting. Do you feel or hear any clunk when transitioning between accel and decel in gear? I'm thinking of a specific friction disk failure but it's a stretch. Seems loud in your clip but maybe you just did a great job of capturing the normal lash.

Oh! Also, if your clutch pedal bottoms out with a metallic click, the cheap crappy bumper fell apart. I replaced mine with a piece of that adhesive-backed felt years ago. Haven't had to touch it since.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 07-16-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #20
Arthur-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Hmmm... Interesting. Do you feel or hear any clunk when transitioning between accel and decel in gear? I'm thinking of a specific friction disk failure but it's a stretch. Seems loud in your clip but maybe you just did a great job of capturing the normal lash.

Oh! Also, if your clutch pedal bottoms out with a metallic click, the cheap crappy bumper fell apart. I replaced mine with a piece of that adhesive-backed felt years ago. Haven't had to touch it since.
No issues when in gear, transitions are pretty smooth. As for the actual pedal operation - no issues as well, sounds just like any other clutch pedal, without any weird noises.

Found an old video with the same noise. People in the comments say it's normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur-A For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 01:46 AM   #21
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
No issues when in gear, transitions are pretty smooth. As for the actual pedal operation - no issues as well, sounds just like any other clutch pedal, without any weird noises.

Found an old video with the same noise. People in the comments say it's normal.
Oh yeah! I may even have said the same - that it's normal - here. I remember the hand operation. I guess it's a matter of semantics when describing as dumping the clutch because, in neutral, with no resistance, that's easily a clutch dump. There's no feathering to spin up the input.

Yup. They all do that. It's not even the clutch that's making noise. It's gear lash. Worth discussing in detail.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:29 AM   #22
iag48st

Drives: 10Series 0945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It’s normal just like the inconsistent jerky 1-2 shifts. You know what’s not normal the way my dashboard rattles and buzzes over harsh roads.
iag48st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:32 AM   #23
ItsReiko

Drives: 2017 subaru brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@Arthur-A Curious if the dealership ended up just saying it's normal and sent you off? I'm pretty sure my car does this too and it is very annoying. Almost feels like my overall clutch system is loose especially when you are trying to navigate parking lots in slow speeds and engagement just clanks and you can feel it.
ItsReiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:17 AM   #24
Arthur-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsReiko View Post
@Arthur-A Curious if the dealership ended up just saying it's normal and sent you off? I'm pretty sure my car does this too and it is very annoying. Almost feels like my overall clutch system is loose especially when you are trying to navigate parking lots in slow speeds and engagement just clanks and you can feel it.
I've sold the car, lol. Not due to this reason though. But I've never heard back from the dealer.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #25
ItsReiko

Drives: 2017 subaru brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I've sold the car, lol. Not due to this reason though. But I've never heard back from the dealer.
Oh, that was a quick turn of events. Hope you got a good price for it in this market
ItsReiko is offline   Reply With Quote