follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #85
Jon-m

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Don't do it. It's a horrible design.

And who the hell specifies a socket head cap screw with a 7 mm hex? That just adds insult to injury.

Is your major concern about this piece only to do with this bolt and it's placement?
I've read the few reports of drive shaft rubbing, but I'm not convinced that those are due to the part or due to modified drive shafts. When folks have multiple aftermarket mods going on it muddies the waters on these situations.

Like I said, I'm planning to do this one this weekend, but I feel like most of the issues with installation or long term use have to do with lack of correct tools during install. I'm confident in being able to install this, as long as I bring the right equipment to the table.. I just want to make sure to cover the bases on all known potential issues before I get into it.

My car is a daily driver, non tracked car, and this would be the only modification to it, so I'm not going crazy with this.
Jon-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #86
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-m View Post
Is your major concern about this piece only to do with this bolt and it's placement?
If you go back to post 49 you'll see where I jumped in. I guess it's fine if you're willing to use red locktite but bottom line, the extension may not fit properly. It ends up cocked at an angle which causes the screw to bind before it can be tightened properly. Also, the inside shoulder of the adapter cannot rest flat to make surface contact where it mates. Instead you end up with two point contacts above and below, which rock and eventually back out the screw.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #87
Jon-m

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
If you go back to post 49 you'll see where I jumped in. I guess it's fine if you're willing to use red locktite but bottom line, the extension may not fit properly. It ends up cocked at an angle which causes the screw to bind before it can be tightened properly. Also, the inside shoulder of the adapter cannot rest flat to make surface contact where it mates. Instead you end up with two point contacts above and below, which rock and eventually back out the screw.
Ah ok, I'd read your earlier posts but couldn't quite make heads or tails of what the issue was. Thanks for clarifying. If it can't be modified to fit flush once I receive it, I won't bother installing. Much appreciated.
Jon-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #88
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Ah ok, I'd read your earlier posts but couldn't quite make heads or tails of what the issue was. Thanks for clarifying. If it can't be modified to fit flush once I receive it, I won't bother installing. Much appreciated.
I finally gave up after grinding the piss out of the collar to try and get it to fit. After the fourth or fifth test fit I realized there would be none of the reinforcement flange left. I knew it would eventually crack so I gave up.

I hope that's not the case for you or others. I don't understand why it was so far off but maybe there is a difference in how some of the gearshift levers were manufactured.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #89
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
It seems that TRD has always considered this a temporary solution, as they have just announced a full-on short shifter kit.

MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MJones_RB For This Useful Post:
Hyperblue302 (06-14-2016), Irace86 (04-07-2016), stevesnj (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #90
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Well this complicates things
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #91
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
It seems that TRD has always considered this a temporary solution, as they have just announced a full-on short shifter kit.
370 bucks? That's bullshit. They know that's about how much it would cost to have the original one cut and extended. I should go into business.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #92
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post

I think this is the TRD Japan version vs the US one. There's also the JDM STI version

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/42170
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asdf For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (04-07-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #93
DrWill

Drives: whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryDS View Post
I've seen the throw -- the guy in this vid most likely ripped something or bent something the wrong way.

there's not THAT much play to the shifter in gear.
It's likely that the bolt holding the extension bracket to the stock shifter lever is lose on the example in the video. When we did ours on the hot lava that bolt came loose pretty often until we put heavy duty thread locker on it. After that the factory retainer clip that holds the pin into the bottom of the extension bracket sheared off. We replaced the retainer clip with a coder pin from the local parts store with a washer in between the pin and the side of the extension bracket to eliminate any play at that point . Sense applying thread locker to the bolt and reworking the attachment pin we haven't had any issues. Th TRD quick shifter will make the shifter more notchy and dificult to put in gear in terms of effort but so does the kart boy or a set of polly shifter bushings. Raceseng offers a shift knob that weighs a little over 600 grams that will help aleaviate some of that.
DrWill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrWill For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (04-09-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #94
DrWill

Quote:
I've read the few reports of drive shaft rubbing, but I'm not convinced that those are due to the part or due to modified drive shafts. When folks have multiple aftermarket mods going on it muddies the waters on these situations.

Like I said, I'm planning to do this one this weekend, but I feel like most of the issues with installation or long term use have to do with lack of correct tools during install. I'm confident in being able to install this, as long as I bring the right equipment to the table.. I just want to make sure to cover the bases on all known potential issues before I get into it.

My car is a daily driver, non tracked car, and this would be the only modification to it, so I'm not going crazy with this.
We have the drive shaft shop aluminum drive shaft and it doesn't rub. A friend of ours has the quick shifter with the stock drive shaft and his doesn't rub either. If people are having that issue something definitely is not right.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #95
DrWill

Quote:
Guys with this loosening issue, does the inside shoulder of the adapter sit flush against the right shoulder of the bore, or does the upper collar force it to rest at an angle?
With ours it seemed to sit flush but it came loose all the time any way. With yours you may have run into a quality control issue with either the trd part or the tolerance on your shift linkage or both. As stated earlier. Once we put red thread locker on the bolt and replaced the retainer clip we had no further issues.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #96
DrWill

Quote:
Bingo. I struggled like hell with one just like it. Finally gave up customizing the customization. It's an atrocious design relying on completely unrealistic goals for tolerance. Throw that POS in the trash or demand a refund. If you must have a short shifter, get the JDM actual lever.

...or the kartboy.

Sorry. The entire line of people allowing that thing to go to market should be fired.
Definitely can't disagree with that. It's definitely not what I would call a sound design. We should not have had to do as much rework as we did to get it working reliably. I feel like TRD has gone down hill a lot in recent years
The Following User Says Thank You to DrWill For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #97
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWill View Post
Definitely can't disagree with that. It's definitely not what I would call a sound design. We should not have had to do as much rework as we did to get it working reliably. I feel like TRD has gone down hill a lot in recent years
Somebody said "design this but don't spend any money." I'm willing to bet it came down to maybe 3 people as a side project. -___-

Either do it right, or don't do it at all.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #98
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Any shorter shifters than the TRD?

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote