follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #421
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post

All slow, no go. And all that $$$ on wheels could've made it at least a somewhat fast car. This scene sucks.
not bad just rise it a 1 inch or so
Old 02-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #422
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadrielas View Post
What if he loved the look of that hella stanced ride but the best he could afford was the old-fashion "Cut the rung of springs" for lowering, he really wanted the $500 5AD spoiler but had $80 between feeding his kids, or wanted to splurg on that sick underglow he just saw in import tuner but the best he could muster was autozone's vomit comet?
If someone's that hard on their luck, maybe they shouldn't be spending their money on car mods at all? Should I respect plastic clip-on Walmart rims because some people are poor? I don't get it.

I'd rather have nothing at all than something that fails miserably at being what I want it to be.

As for function over form.. I don't think anyone is hating on professional drivers that mod to make a living, or even a causal track hobbyist. There's a reason behind that ugly. Ugly for performance is fine, what we have trouble grasping is destroying function for ridiculous aesthetics that only a tiny community will appreciate and the rest will mock. What's even more difficult is when it's their only car and it can barely get them from A to B.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeM7 For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (04-13-2015), ImBatman (02-06-2015), tyrantcf (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #423
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM7 View Post
If someone's that hard on their luck, maybe they shouldn't be spending their money on car mods at all? Should I respect plastic clip-on Walmart rims because some people are poor? I don't get it.

I'd rather have nothing at all than something that fails miserably at being what I want it to be.

As for function over form.. I don't think anyone is hating on professional drivers that mod to make a living, or even a causal track hobbyist. There's a reason behind that ugly. Ugly for performance is fine, what we have trouble grasping is destroying function for ridiculous aesthetics that only a tiny community will appreciate and the rest will mock. What's even more difficult is when it's their only car and it can barely get them from A to B.

First part response. Tell a drug addict or alcoholic not to spend money because they are poor. Is it a stupid choice. yes. You are correct. Would I? No, I wouldn't. This is why my vehicle looks stock minus a sharkfin. (my money just went to an OFT.

Second part response. You're right again. Be remember that not all drivers are "professional drivers trying to make a living". Everyone starts somewhere, and I used to run a 95 civic as a Jr. Rally car in CA. Wasn't pretty, looked like shit, but absolutely got the job done the best I could. And when it came down to running the walmart spoiler and racing the next two races, or running the name brand and missing 2 races... I chose the walmart at the time because it was what I could afford and keep racing.

I understand and appreciate everyone is modding under different circumstances. I value the opinions of everyone here and, to be honest, I agree with a large majority of them thinking to myself "WTF DID I JUST SEE!?"

I'm not trying to say we need to be nice, I don't care. I'm not saying I don't agree with the lot of you. I do. I am simply saying when we made the mistake of calling this a "discussion" we lied to ourselves. Call it what it is. It's a roast.

If you read through my comments, I try to add something positive to the conversation or add an opinion I can get feedback on. If I am wrong, and god am I often, I am going to admit it and man-up to that.

Personally, though, I'd rather help the community be a place where Steve, the newly 16 and finally getting into cars, feels comfortable asking questions like "How does a clutch work?" Rather than to be the guy who response, "It's called fucking google, you noob!"
chas3wba0 (02-03-2015), HotLeopardMama (04-13-2015), ImBatman (02-06-2015), UtahSleeper (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #424
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
not bad just rise it a 1 inch or so
This car has adjustable air suspension, looks awesome and does not belong in this thread. He's just messing with us.
Well played, @Jyn. Great looking car you've got there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarlacc For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (02-03-2015), chas3wba0 (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #425
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
First part response. Tell a drug addict or alcoholic not to spend money because they are poor. Is it a stupid choice. yes. You are correct. Would I? No, I wouldn't. This is why my vehicle looks stock minus a sharkfin. (my money just went to an OFT.

Second part response. You're right again. Be remember that not all drivers are "professional drivers trying to make a living". Everyone starts somewhere, and I used to run a 95 civic as a Jr. Rally car in CA. Wasn't pretty, looked like shit, but absolutely got the job done the best I could. And when it came down to running the walmart spoiler and racing the next two races, or running the name brand and missing 2 races... I chose the walmart at the time because it was what I could afford and keep racing.

I understand and appreciate everyone is modding under different circumstances. I value the opinions of everyone here and, to be honest, I agree with a large majority of them thinking to myself "WTF DID I JUST SEE!?"

I'm not trying to say we need to be nice, I don't care. I'm not saying I don't agree with the lot of you. I do. I am simply saying when we made the mistake of calling this a "discussion" we lied to ourselves. Call it what it is. It's a roast.

If you read through my comments, I try to add something positive to the conversation or add an opinion I can get feedback on. If I am wrong, and god am I often, I am going to admit it and man-up to that.

Personally, though, I'd rather help the community be a place where Steve, the newly 16 and finally getting into cars, feels comfortable asking questions like "How does a clutch work?" Rather than to be the guy who response, "It's called fucking google, you noob!"
I agree with every single thing you said.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #426
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Garage
Quote:
I totally agree. I'll help you help the community if I can. It is sorely needed.
There should still be room for having a few giggles, though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarlacc For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (04-13-2015), ImBatman (02-06-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #427
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defuser View Post
Thankfully I think the overall popularity of the "ricer" movement has waned a bit.

I'm not saying it isn't out there, it's just not as prevalent as it once was. The grating sound of "fart can" exhaust systems isn't encountered as often (not in my areas anyway), and I see fewer cars with unpainted, poorly installed body kits driving around.

That said, I'm sure there will always be some rice out there. Heck, when I had my springs installed, the manager of the shop told me a guy in his 70's had been in there with his FR-S to have lambo-doors and a ridiculous wing installed. He showed me pictures of the car.

It was Hot Lava, but a more apt descriptive phrase would be "Steaming Poo". Something tells me that guy has a grin on his face when he's driving that car though!
You met tcoat's mechanic??
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2much For This Useful Post:
Defuser (02-03-2015), Sarlacc (02-03-2015), Tcoat (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #428
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Quote:

I'm all for making the forum a more welcoming place for n00bs, but:

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Old 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #429
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
I totally agree. I'll help you help the community if I can. It is sorely needed.
There should still be room for having a few giggles, though.
Giggles are giggles and I am for that, I. I just tend to laugh at myself or others whom are laughing at themselves. I try not to laugh at "Joe", who doesn't know he's being laughed at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
I'm all for making the forum a more welcoming place for n00bs, but:

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
A man has to know what fish is and we have to at least try to help. I'm sure there are users who are known for troll posts. Hell we had almost 1000 pages and countless threads dedicated to some rich kid who lived on his parent's dime, didn't we?
Old 02-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #430
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Garage
Quote:
Giggles are giggles and I am for that, I. I just tend to laugh at myself or others whom are laughing at themselves. I try not to laugh at "Joe", who doesn't know he's being laughed at.
I can't argue with that. Maybe we should just let this thread die and go play somewhere else.

Perhaps we could have a new thread; where lowering, tire stretch, camber and poke are discussed in a serious manner, laying out the technical and legal implications? To educate those who like the look but don't understand the sacrifices involved. Without making fun of any particular car...
Nah, bad idea. It'd just get boring.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #431
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defuser View Post
Thankfully I think the overall popularity of the "ricer" movement has waned a bit.

I'm not saying it isn't out there, it's just not as prevalent as it once was. The grating sound of "fart can" exhaust systems isn't encountered as often (not in my areas anyway), and I see fewer cars with unpainted, poorly installed body kits driving around.

That said, I'm sure there will always be some rice out there. Heck, when I had my springs installed, the manager of the shop told me a guy in his 70's had been in there with his FR-S to have lambo-doors and a ridiculous wing installed. He showed me pictures of the car.

It was Hot Lava, but a more apt descriptive phrase would be "Steaming Poo". Something tells me that guy has a grin on his face when he's driving that car though!
I just got back from Detroit and let me reassure you the bad kits, fart cans and other ricer fad items are alive and thriving!

I saw so many smashed bumpers and skirts that I am considering opening a zip tie store someplace near metro and retiring in two years!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #432
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Quote:
I can't argue with that. Maybe we should just let this thread die and go play somewhere else.

Perhaps we could have a new thread; where lowering, tire stretch, camber and poke are discussed in a serious manner, laying out the technical and legal implications? To educate those who like the look but don't understand the sacrifices involved. Without making fun of any particular car...
How about a thread in which anyone can post a picture of their own car up for criticism... positive/negative/constructive/destructive/whatever. That should be interesting

I'd be happy to go first
Old 02-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #433
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

There already are a couple of hundred threads just like those for anybody that takes a few minutes to look. They generally stay untouched and on track as they are in the tech sections.
They can also be as confusing as hell because you can have many self proclaimed experts that will all tell you that they are right and everybody else is wrong!
Yes, it would be great to help the 16 year olds but they should at the very least seek that help in the proper area.
When they come in the general section and say "I want 600 hp for $500 and don't even own a screwdriver" and then argue every single thing anybody says to them then we are wasting our breath trying to teach them anything.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #434
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
How about a thread in which anyone can post a picture of their own car up for criticism... positive/negative/constructive/destructive/whatever. That should be interesting

I'd be happy to go first
I don't think there's a area specifically designed for that
The Following User Says Thank You to 2much For This Useful Post:
Celadrielas (02-03-2015)

Closed Thread