follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
dalli

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just learned about European delivery

Wow now we talking, i just found out about euro delivery and all i have to say is WOW.

Anyone ever did this and wants to post experience here...feel free to do so!

ATM i am currently looking at a ford focus rs but now im leaning to a rs3(if it comes to the states.....I might go for it! and do ED)

If rs3 does come to the states then i believe I will keep the brz. I hope we get info on the RS3 by Q1 2016 for the states and hopefully pictures of the sedan version.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CshAQBTpzKw"]Audi A3 Clubsport Quattro review - YouTube[/ame]
Old 10-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
I haven't done it myself but have been to BMW Welt two times and the Porsche factory (Zuffenhausen) once. I am not familiar with Audi's ED program incentives or discounts - I know Volvo and BMW has among the best discounts/perks for pick up. Although, the BMW discount has shrunk from 7% off European Delivery MSRP to 5% for vehicles picked up in January 2016+ Still a good price when all said and done for the mundane vehicles, M cars won't see nearly as big discounts.

If you're going out there and spending some time in Germany and have not traveled there before - some things to remember and be considerate of:

Only sections of the autobahn are unlimited, when they are - you must stay out of the far left lane unless it is for passing only. Trust me, there will be someone faster coming up behind you.

Virtually every German under the age of 50 speaks some English, anyone under the age of 35 speaks it fluently, whether they admit it or not.

Many places close on Sunday - schedule stops or hikes or attractions accordingly.

German cuisine is meat, cheese and bread - plan ahead if dietary restrictions apply.

I have not gone this year yet so I do not know if the geo-political impact has changed any of the atmosphere. I know in my village some 20+ "families" will be hosted and we are on the western border with Luxemburg! Some folks are welcoming and some are not to the influx of immigrants. How this will impact your stay (friendliness, prices, public tension, protests, curfews, etc.) I do not know.

I'm assuming Audi's are still made in Ingolsadt? If so and depending on where you want to go I will recommend some stops - this is assuming you'll be heading westward to make the pilgrimage to the Nurburgring. You'll have several options, to cut or to go along the southern border (Lake Constantine, Switzerland, Castle Neuschwanstein, etc). If you cut inland, after your night stay in Ingolstadt head south to Munich and enjoy all of the Bavarian food and drink you can for a few days. Bavaria is like the Texas of Germany. After Munich cut west to Augsburg - very pretty city. Keep going until you hit Stuttgart that night. Spend a day (or two!) in the Porsche or Mercedes Museum, they are wonderful. Head south to Burg Hohenzollern, another beautiful castle and scenery.

Now you have another choice - head north to Heidelberg (postcard Germany) if pressed for time or head south to Titisee (Black forest Germany). Personally I would go Titisee to Freiburg, stay the night. Then Freiburg to Colmar (France) for a day then to Strasbourg (France) and stay the night. Both picturesque cities with great food and enough sites to take in for a day each.

If you feel so obliged, visit the Hockenheim Ring to the northeast over Speyer - if you have the time, spend a day in Heidelberg but it's a little too tourist busy for me. Also expensive I find (see high tourism!). From there you are heading northwest, go over Koblenz - it's small but nice I find, the German Rivers meeting is a nice site to see and plenty of sites/food/sounds for a 3/4 day visit. Nurburgring is just west of Koblenz. After that, I do not know where Audi has drop off points - if they have one in Cologne, I would absolutely take that city over any others - it is like... the San Diego of Germany. VERY liberal and always something going on most nights of the week.

Everyone will rave about Dusseldorf - I only know it for the airport. Frankfurt is ok, a working/business city with lots of industrial and commercial development. For more outside of Germany I suggest Maastrict (Netherlands) and Luxemburg.

The Nurburgring is a public road, technically, insurance companies also typically exclude it from their policy coverage - If you decide to take your fresh out of the factory car on it for bragging rights; do a modest pace lap because I cannot fathom Audi's included 2 week insurance coverage will allow for Nurburgring foolery. Then, rent a race car for ~$500 (Swift) to $750+ (BRZ) for 4 laps and rip into it, the deductible is anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000 or so plus whatever damage you do to the track and services rendered in the event of a crash. Drive accordingly.

Eat schnitzel. Drink Bitburger beer when you're in the Eifel region. Drink Franziskaner whenever you can.

Late summer months are rainy, plan accordingly with weather.

Not sure if you will be traveling with a budget or not - remember fuel is considerably more expensive in Germany, about $2.337 per liter or $8.85 per gallon. Food and rooms are comparable to US prices ($35/day/person and $90/night/double). With a racecar rental it's about $3,600 for two people to do two weeks with admissions to attractions + flight tickets + cost of car
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
aegisdrgn (10-22-2015), Clipdat (10-22-2015), dalli (10-22-2015), strat61caster (10-22-2015), totopo (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
Special_K
Bannéd

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Thanked 2,077 Times in 911 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
I haven't done it myself but have been to BMW Welt two times and the Porsche factory (Zuffenhausen) once. I am not familiar with Audi's ED program incentives or discounts - I know Volvo and BMW has among the best discounts/perks for pick up. Although, the BMW discount has shrunk from 7% off European Delivery MSRP to 5% for vehicles picked up in January 2016+ Still a good price when all said and done for the mundane vehicles, M cars won't see nearly as big discounts.

If you're going out there and spending some time in Germany and have not traveled there before - some things to remember and be considerate of:

Only sections of the autobahn are unlimited, when they are - you must stay out of the far left lane unless it is for passing only. Trust me, there will be someone faster coming up behind you.

Virtually every German under the age of 50 speaks some English, anyone under the age of 35 speaks it fluently, whether they admit it or not.

Many places close on Sunday - schedule stops or hikes or attractions accordingly.

German cuisine is meat, cheese and bread - plan ahead if dietary restrictions apply.

I have not gone this year yet so I do not know if the geo-political impact has changed any of the atmosphere. I know in my village some 20+ "families" will be hosted and we are on the western border with Luxemburg! Some folks are welcoming and some are not to the influx of immigrants. How this will impact your stay (friendliness, prices, public tension, protests, curfews, etc.) I do not know.

I'm assuming Audi's are still made in Ingolsadt? If so and depending on where you want to go I will recommend some stops - this is assuming you'll be heading westward to make the pilgrimage to the Nurburgring. You'll have several options, to cut or to go along the southern border (Lake Constantine, Switzerland, Castle Neuschwanstein, etc). If you cut inland, after your night stay in Ingolstadt head south to Munich and enjoy all of the Bavarian food and drink you can for a few days. Bavaria is like the Texas of Germany. After Munich cut west to Augsburg - very pretty city. Keep going until you hit Stuttgart that night. Spend a day (or two!) in the Porsche or Mercedes Museum, they are wonderful. Head south to Burg Hohenzollern, another beautiful castle and scenery.

Now you have another choice - head north to Heidelberg (postcard Germany) if pressed for time or head south to Titisee (Black forest Germany). Personally I would go Titisee to Freiburg, stay the night. Then Freiburg to Colmar (France) for a day then to Strasbourg (France) and stay the night. Both picturesque cities with great food and enough sites to take in for a day each.

If you feel so obliged, visit the Hockenheim Ring to the northeast over Speyer - if you have the time, spend a day in Heidelberg but it's a little too tourist busy for me. Also expensive I find (see high tourism!). From there you are heading northwest, go over Koblenz - it's small but nice I find, the German Rivers meeting is a nice site to see and plenty of sites/food/sounds for a 3/4 day visit. Nurburgring is just west of Koblenz. After that, I do not know where Audi has drop off points - if they have one in Cologne, I would absolutely take that city over any others - it is like... the San Diego of Germany. VERY liberal and always something going on most nights of the week.

Everyone will rave about Dusseldorf - I only know it for the airport. Frankfurt is ok, a working/business city with lots of industrial and commercial development. For more outside of Germany I suggest Maastrict (Netherlands) and Luxemburg.

The Nurburgring is a public road, technically, insurance companies also typically exclude it from their policy coverage - If you decide to take your fresh out of the factory car on it for bragging rights; do a modest pace lap because I cannot fathom Audi's included 2 week insurance coverage will allow for Nurburgring foolery. Then, rent a race car for ~$500 (Swift) to $750+ (BRZ) for 4 laps and rip into it, the deductible is anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000 or so plus whatever damage you do to the track and services rendered in the event of a crash. Drive accordingly.

Eat schnitzel. Drink Bitburger beer when you're in the Eifel region. Drink Franziskaner whenever you can.

Not sure if you will be traveling with a budget or not - remember fuel is considerably more expensive in Germany, about $2.337 per liter or $8.85 per gallon. Food and rooms are comparable to US prices ($35/day/person and $90/night/double). With a racecar rental it's about $3,600 for two people to do two weeks with admissions to attractions + flight tickets + cost of car
Damn man! I wish you were around when I traveled through Germany! That was a perfect write-up, and now I want to go back over and follow your itinerary.
The fascinating thing about my signature is that by the time you realize that it is of no importance, it will also be too late to stop reading it. Good luck getting those five seconds of your life back.
Special_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

FanTASTIC advice! Thanks for sharing!
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
my friend just did this last month. here's his observations via Facebook:

Quote:
Dropped off the car at the Munich drop off port and currently on a flight back home! Several observations after driving 2200 miles through Germany, Italy, France and briefly through Switzerland and Austria. Traveling by car can get expensive with a gallon of fuel costing between $4.90 to $7.20, the cheapest in Germany and priciest in Italy. Spent over $140 in tolls along the autobahn, almost exclusively in Italy and France with none at all in Germany. Autobahn roads are well maintained, glass smooth and never encountered any potholes. You can travel much faster and further without getting beat up. Higher average speeds, 75 to 120 mph with few unrestricted zones. Europeans respect the left lane, only to be used for passing so there's an awful lot of lane changing taking place. Didn't see any accidents or police for that matter. Speed cameras are numerous. Fuel is higher quality, 95 is minimum octane rating. Italy has a more complex incomprehensible roadway system with narrower roads and everyone there drives smaller fiat 500 sized cars powered by diesel.
Quote:
The autobahn has speed restrictions on most sections between 110 to 130 km/hr (up to ~80mph). There are very few unrestricted sections and they're short. I was able to hit 130mph briefly but you encounter slower cars that aren't able to get out of the way quickly enough to safely maintain that speed for long. Plus, it's so fuel inefficient to drive that fast anyway and at their fuel prices....
Quote:
Guttentag. It's time to leave the Nuhrburgring after 2 days of motoring bliss. 5 laps completed, 1 as a passenger in the BMW M5 taxi ring and 4 in my own car in both wet and dry conditions. It's a very dangerous track in the dry and downright treacherous in the rain. An experienced local said it takes at least 100 laps every year to learn the track and in the wet, tree sap in certain corners mixes with the water to make an especially slippery braking zone. There were multiple accidents including a smashed up BMW 6 series and several other race prepped touring cars. The videos online don't do justice to the extreme elevation changes, changing surfaces, and blind corners that caught out multiple drivers.
Quote:
Nuhrburgring. Wow, what a track! Definitely a must for every car enthusiast. Only got one lap in today because a major crash closed down the circuit shortly afterwards. The M235i really comes alive and holds its own on this fast, twisty circuit.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
dalli (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
dalli

Wow great posts guys!

Since rs3 wont be coming out soon(I hope it doesnt get canceled because of VW current financial/media problem), i have much to plan ahead(and save lol) and i am currently happy with the BRZ as a DD. I'll see where my new job leads me to.

I do have family in Germany and some friends so I will be paying visits to them

I always dreamed of going on the Nurburgring. I even did a 24 hour race on the nurburgring with 5 of my friends..with me having the most laps/hours. All done with g27 wheel setup + gran turismo 5. I did all the laps without the HuD and manual mode so I knew what speed/gears limitations were for the elevation/corners/sweeps. I know real life will be MUCH different because of the weather/tires/temperature etc. But hopefully the game gave me a good sense of when a corner is coming and the layout of the map itself along with the elevation changes(not sure if this applies though)

Its great hearing that you can rent out a BRZ for the hotlaps on the ring because I will be tempted to do that. I love my brz and love the road feel/handling it has, I am always confident driving the brz
Old 10-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #7
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalli View Post
I always dreamed of going on the Nurburgring. I even did a 24 hour race on the nurburgring with 5 of my friends..with me having the most laps/hours. All done with g27 wheel setup + gran turismo 5. I did all the laps without the HuD and manual mode so I knew what speed/gears limitations were for the elevation/corners/sweeps. I know real life will be MUCH different because of the weather/tires/temperature etc. But hopefully the game gave me a good sense of when a corner is coming and the layout of the map itself along with the elevation changes(not sure if this applies though)

Its great hearing that you can rent out a BRZ for the hotlaps on the ring because I will be tempted to do that. I love my brz and love the road feel/handling it has, I am always confident driving the brz
Slow down cowboy... I would highly recommend you watch many, many hours of crash videos on the ring over the next year - watch them every week. See where the typical 'uh oh' areas are and memorize them. You won't know why/how the simple mishaps happen until they happen to you.

Knowing the track on Gran Turismo is ok for anticipation but all of that will go out the window - and not because of tire temperatures or anything else so frivolous. You'll likely want to go on a nice day - as will everyone else. You will be contending with copious amounts of traffic - motorcyclists, race cars, slow drivers, tour buses, & other amateur renters. That will pile on a lot of stress. You won't remember the track nor will you be focusing on being quick. You'll try your best NOT being an idiot to others or worse. It is your duty to clear the way for the quicker car(s) behind you - so you must check your mirrors every few seconds because they will come up fast. That will adjust your line constantly, at speed. You must also not crash into the traffic in front of you! That will also adjust your line constantly, at speed.

Put zero stock in your video gaming ability - do a couple of warm-up laps then begin picking up the pace on lap 3. Aim to get 6 laps in. Try to meet with any other locals whom may post here on the board, ask for a sit-along and for them to point out critical areas on the track. Do the ride along after your second lap of driving and scoping out the track. False confidence leads to quick mishaps.

I would recommend a Swift or any other sub 200 hp hot-hatch. You'll want more tire ability than anything else because that will bail you out of those 'uh oh' moments. Plus, the higher hp cars get burden with driver inability - I have more fun in the Swifts driving 11/10 than I do white knuckling a BRZ at 9/10. Hitting 120 mph vs 135 mph on the straights is overrated (I lie, no it isn't, it's awesome and makes your butt produce diamonds) Depending on where you go, the Twins may be reserved for experienced drivers only. I don't even see it listed on rent4ring anymore - they had only the one left and told me too many folks were having accidents with it when I booked... As in every person renting it had a mishap because they took off the traction and stability systems thinking they knew what they were doing... I flirted with the system off for most of one lap, decided I didn't want to be bankrupt and switched the loose nanny back on. Same advice applies to the Swift - first 3 laps nannies on, 4th lap experiment on a loose setting, 5th lap for fun and giggles go nude out there, then last lap, loose nanny and try to piece it all together for a 'quick' lap. Don't obviously time yourself, it is frowned upon, do it loosely with a wrist watch or look at your go-pro that evening and work it out.

RSRNurburg still does the GT86 for about 700 euros which buys you 200 km plus track costs and fuel. Factor 27 euros per lap for track entry fee and between 1/2 to 3/4 tank of gas for 6 laps or so will put you at about 900 euros for the day (about $1,000). Remember, the race car rental is affordable but the deductible can be expensive when you crash ($20,000+ for this GT86)

Time the day right - my advice: go on a Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday if you can. Be sure to check the calendar as many time manufactures book the track for events and block out the Touristenfahrten days. Sometimes it'll be an unannounced PR day, which sucks... Remember: the track is typically only open for 1.5 hours per day - if there are any accidents/mishaps/uh ohs that shut the track down - you will wait in the parking lot and you will be screwed out of most of your money. So, best to keep two days reserved for the Ring - Tuesday/Wednesday in case you need to return the following day to get your laps in.

Also figure you're going to take out a mortgage for the gift shop because they know what the pilgrimage is about and they learn from Disneyland what people will pay.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
aegisdrgn (10-22-2015), dalli (10-24-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #8
computeruser

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Great thread so far. However...

NEWS FLASH: Video games are not real life. Seriously. It's like thinking your PowerWheels experience prepared you to cross the desert in Namibia solo and unsupported.

Quote:
Slow down cowboy... I would highly recommend you watch many, many hours of crash videos on the ring over the next year - watch them every week. See where the typical 'uh oh' areas are and memorize them. You won't know why/how the simple mishaps happen until they happen to you.

Knowing the track on Gran Turismo is ok for anticipation but all of that will go out the window - and not because of tire temperatures or anything else so frivolous. You'll likely want to go on a nice day - as will everyone else. You will be contending with copious amounts of traffic - motorcyclists, race cars, slow drivers, tour buses, & other amateur renters. That will pile on a lot of stress. You won't remember the track nor will you be focusing on being quick. You'll try your best NOT being an idiot to others or worse. It is your duty to clear the way for the quicker car(s) behind you - so you must check your mirrors every few seconds because they will come up fast. That will adjust your line constantly, at speed. You must also not crash into the traffic in front of you! That will also adjust your line constantly, at speed.

Put zero stock in your video gaming ability - do a couple of warm-up laps then begin picking up the pace on lap 3. Aim to get 6 laps in. Try to meet with any other locals whom may post here on the board, ask for a sit-along and for them to point out critical areas on the track. Do the ride along after your second lap of driving and scoping out the track. False confidence leads to quick mishaps.

I would recommend a Swift or any other sub 200 hp hot-hatch. You'll want more tire ability than anything else because that will bail you out of those 'uh oh' moments. Plus, the higher hp cars get burden with driver inability - I have more fun in the Swifts driving 11/10 than I do white knuckling a BRZ at 9/10. Hitting 120 mph vs 135 mph on the straights is overrated (I lie, no it isn't, it's awesome and makes your butt produce diamonds) Depending on where you go, the Twins may be reserved for experienced drivers only. I don't even see it listed on rent4ring anymore - they had only the one left and told me too many folks were having accidents with it when I booked... As in every person renting it had a mishap because they took off the traction and stability systems thinking they knew what they were doing... I flirted with the system off for most of one lap, decided I didn't want to be bankrupt and switched the loose nanny back on. Same advice applies to the Swift - first 3 laps nannies on, 4th lap experiment on a loose setting, 5th lap for fun and giggles go nude out there, then last lap, loose nanny and try to piece it all together for a 'quick' lap. Don't obviously time yourself, it is frowned upon, do it loosely with a wrist watch or look at your go-pro that evening and work it out.

RSRNurburg still does the GT86 for about 700 euros which buys you 200 km plus track costs and fuel. Factor 27 euros per lap for track entry fee and between 1/2 to 3/4 tank of gas for 6 laps or so will put you at about 900 euros for the day (about $1,000). Remember, the race car rental is affordable but the deductible can be expensive when you crash ($20,000+ for this GT86)

Time the day right - my advice: go on a Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday if you can. Be sure to check the calendar as many time manufactures book the track for events and block out the Touristenfahrten days. Sometimes it'll be an unannounced PR day, which sucks... Remember: the track is typically only open for 1.5 hours per day - if there are any accidents/mishaps/uh ohs that shut the track down - you will wait in the parking lot and you will be screwed out of most of your money. So, best to keep two days reserved for the Ring - Tuesday/Wednesday in case you need to return the following day to get your laps in.

Also figure you're going to take out a mortgage for the gift shop because they know what the pilgrimage is about and they learn from Disneyland what people will pay.
computeruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:36 AM   #9
humdizzle

Drives: 2018 GT3 / 2015 M3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
BMW euro delivery is pretty awesome. So what if you get a ticket (not like you are ever going back.. F them).

I've also heard that if you are doing a track day at the ring they ask you if you have any video game experience. They take the people that say yes and give them an extra warning lecture lol.
humdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
dalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdizzle View Post
BMW euro delivery is pretty awesome. So what if you get a ticket (not like you are ever going back.. F them).

I've also heard that if you are doing a track day at the ring they ask you if you have any video game experience. They take the people that say yes and give them an extra warning lecture lol.
lol nice! btw I am the guy who goes 50 mph in a 50mph zone on the right lane( in public anyway )

oh and about the ticket. If you notice the pictures of the euro delivery cars, they have different plates on. Those plates will be directly linked to your name since you get the registration under your name. Im pretttttttttty sure they will mail it to you.

By the time you get your ticket in USA, it will rack up late fees already