follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #1
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Daily Tourismo article

There's a fun story on the BRZ/86 in the Daily Tourismo this week:

https://dailyturismo.com/a-new-car-r...020-toyota-86/
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
albert (10-07-2020), Bluefire98 (09-25-2020), joro2 (09-25-2020), spcmafia (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #2
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Great article. It resonates what every single pure gearhead and enthusiasts keep repeating; Is not a bad car. Not fast, but quick, and it handles like a dream. Every one should have one because you'll regret not doing it. It is the exact reason why I got mine. I spent months looking for my next car; 370, Golf, Speed3, Focus ST, Veloster, Genesis Coupe. They all would've been faster vehicles, same amount of customizations available, but there is just something about the 86/BRZs that makes them special. I don't regret a single moment or cent, I've learned so much from this car, and it has made me a better driver. Could use some more power? Absolutely. Would I challenge anything on the HWY? Deff. not. But I know once I hit the back curvy roads with this thing, it puts a huge smile on my face.
AnalogMan (09-25-2020), Bluefire98 (09-25-2020), Ernest72 (09-26-2020), joro2 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #3
AnalogMan

I posted this story both here and on the 86 thread. It's interesting to see the different reactions. There were many more comments on the 86 thread (13 so far) than here, almost all of them pretty critical and derisive of the Daily Tourismo writer. Here there was @spcmafia's gracious and light-hearted post.

Yes, the Daily Tourismo write-up isn't going to win a Pulitzer prize; yes, there were inconsistencies in the article; yes, the author didn't make many particularly deep new observations; and yes, it took him 7 years to 'discover' the BRZ/86.

However, what I thought was nice about the article was that the writer really just gets it about the BRZ/86. Daily Tourismo is a site primarily about old cars. They post found classified ads and articles about classic and inexpensive sports cars - yet the author wrote about this new car. He gets it that the BRZ/86 is a new old car. It's a new car that captures the soul and spirit of the classic sports cars of the 1960's/1970's. In a world increasingly moving to floppy paddle-shifted everything, anodyne turbo engines, and (gasp!) soulless electric cars, it's a marvel that the BRZ/86 exists at all, and he gets it. Plus it's (relatively) cheap, just like the sports cars of the 60's were in their time.

I think it's also great that 7 years after the car comes out, there's someone writing a review of it. All the other traditional car magazines/blogs/etc. have long since moved on to the newest shiny thing, but Daily Tourismo's writer is giving some attention to a 7 year old model, because he understands how special it is.

Kudos to him.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
albert (10-07-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
I posted this story both here and on the 86 thread. It's interesting to see the different reactions. There were many more comments on the 86 thread (13 so far) than here, almost all of them pretty critical and derisive of the Daily Tourismo writer. Here there was @spcmafia's gracious and light-hearted post.

Yes, the Daily Tourismo write-up isn't going to win a Pulitzer prize; yes, there were inconsistencies in the article; yes, the author didn't make many particularly deep new observations; and yes, it took him 7 years to 'discover' the BRZ/86.

However, what I thought was nice about the article was that the writer really just gets it about the BRZ/86. Daily Tourismo is a site primarily about old cars. They post found classified ads and articles about classic and inexpensive sports cars - yet the author wrote about this new car. He gets it that the BRZ/86 is a new old car. It's a new car that captures the soul and spirit of the classic sports cars of the 1960's/1970's. In a world increasingly moving to floppy paddle-shifted everything, anodyne turbo engines, and (gasp!) soulless electric cars, it's a marvel that the BRZ/86 exists at all, and he gets it. Plus it's (relatively) cheap, just like the sports cars of the 60's were in their time.

I think it's also great that 7 years after the car comes out, there's someone writing a review of it. All the other traditional car magazines/blogs/etc. have long since moved on to the newest shiny thing, but Daily Tourismo's writer is giving some attention to a 7 year old model, because he understands how special it is.

Kudos to him.
I think you will find that part of the issue is that some of us have read hundreds and hundreds of such articles and they have lost any impact at all. In this particular case his message is lost through the very limited info he gives. Existing owners are going to say “we know” and possible new owners are going to say “meh sounds boring”.
Sure he “gets it” but he does a very poor job of passing it on. If he had said something more like you did his message may have been more clear to those that don’t know the car and he may have sparked some interest. As written it is just a list of data with some brief asides thrown in. Since you know you are reading things into the content that others without experience with the car just would not catch.

Edit: read the comments. You did a better job of presenting the car than he did. Also notice that the other people commenting mostly said they like the idea of the car but would not likely buy one. The fact that it is discontinued is not made clear so a least one guy was going to wait.
My point is that the author didn’t put enough homework into the status of the car and the whole “ people should buy these but I am not” really shows up in the comments.

Last edited by Tcoat; 09-26-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (09-26-2020), JD001 (09-26-2020), soundman98 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I think you will find that part of the issue is that some of us have read hundreds and hundreds of such articles and they have lost any impact at all.

Edit: read the comments. You did a better job of presenting the car than he did.
Thank you, and I agree with all your points. You are right about the writing of the article. Regardless, I don't think it takes away from it being nice that someone is writing positive things about the car 7 years after it's been introduced, at a time when all other automotive writers/journalists/bloggers either totally ignore the car, or parrot the tired "needs more power!" even if they haven't actually driven it themselves. It took me 7 years to come around and finally buy one for myself!

The first generation BRZ/86 is at the end of of its run. As such, it might even be appropriate to look back on it with a bit of nostalgia, both for it being a spiritual reincarnation of a basic 1960's sports car, and for what it is (and as I get older, nostalgia becomes an increasingly big part of my life, mostly because so many things in the present suck, and the future looks even more bleak). I think that's one of the reasons Daily Tourismo chose to write about it now. It's a swan song to the car, a goodbye to the original BRZ/86, and especially poignant coming from someone with a site dedicated to old cars.

There's a new Toyobaru GR86 in the works, with much discussion, speculation, and hoping about it (of which I've been a part). It might, or might not, actually be produced, and the timing is uncertain. If or when it comes, it will be different from the first generation, more refined, etc. etc., all the things that companies do to 'evolve' a model and move it 'upscale'. That makes it particularly timely to fondly look back on the original car.

The BRZ/86 never was and will never be a huge seller. Even if the second gen car is never produced I doubt the first gen car will skyrocket in value (at least not in my lifetime). But I think people will miss it when it's gone, and will look at it more favorably when the only other remaining choices are the usual anonymous paddle-shifted automatic small displacement turbos, or worse, electric appliances.

Besides, one of the oldest truisms about human nature is, you don't really appreciate what you have until it's gone. How many of us have only really appreciated and pined away for a lost love after they've left us?
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 05:32 PM   #6
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Every none enthusiast who sees my car loves it. I get so many compliments from random people. With header and tune it’s quick enough for public roads. Just a fun car to drive. Wish I could get this steering in my 04 WRX.

I go to some mountain roads on the weekend and the big HP guys can’t really get away from me because of other cars, bikers, hikers, cops etc. I followed a GT3 a couple of weeks ago, what a blast, on straights he pulled away for sure, but I always caught up because he would get held up by something. Wonder if he ever got out of 2nd gear. Can’t even use the power. Funny to think that I am having just as much fun as him but you could buy 10 twins for his one GT3. The twins are the best smiles per dollar.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote