follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > New England

New England MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
rainmonkey

Drives: BRZ - Dark Grey
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CitySide - First Service?

So I'm going to be having my first service done at CitySide Subaru. I currently have the following:

1. Perrin ECU tune
2. Perrin Catback
3. Perrin Drop-in Filter
4. Perrin Lightweight Pulley
5. Kartboy Short Shifter

I've heard from friends, from @Kaizen Tuning, and from the dealer salesman himself that CitySide is pretty mod friendly. However, do you guys think I should reflash the ECU to stock and swap the filter back out to the OEM before servicing?

Thanks!
rainmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmonkey View Post
So I'm going to be having my first service done at CitySide Subaru. I currently have the following:

1. Perrin ECU tune
2. Perrin Catback
3. Perrin Drop-in Filter
4. Perrin Lightweight Pulley
5. Kartboy Short Shifter

I've heard from friends, from @Kaizen Tuning, and from the dealer salesman himself that CitySide is pretty mod friendly. However, do you guys think I should reflash the ECU to stock and swap the filter back out to the OEM before servicing?

Thanks!
I had pretty much the same mods when I went in for my fuel pump and GPS TSB and Cityside didn't make a big deal about it...the only mods I didn't have were the CAI at the time. They didn't give me any trouble for anything when I was there, you're just going in for a regular service so I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
rainmonkey (04-06-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
rainmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
I had pretty much the same mods when I went in for my fuel pump and GPS TSB and Cityside didn't make a big deal about it...the only mods I didn't have were the CAI at the time. They didn't give me any trouble for anything when I was there, you're just going in for a regular service so I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Even the flash? I know Kaizen did your tune, so not sure how that worked.

Speaking of TSB's did they work? and did you have to prove it to them that you had the issues? The chirp is easy enough to induce, but the GPS...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmonkey View Post
Even the flash? I know Kaizen did your tune, so not sure how that worked.

Speaking of TSB's did they work? and did you have to prove it to them that you had the issues? The chirp is easy enough to induce, but the GPS...
Yes, I had the tune at the time. Both TSB's have done their jobs so far and neither problem has returned. *crosses fingers* All you have to do is tell them that YES you have the problem, then they will go out to you car and see if it is true, I don't kow what their procedure is to do this but they confirmed both TSB's and ordered the parts and I had both problems fixed within 2 weeks. No issues with mods, it did take them 2 days to replace the fuel pump for some reason but everything seems to be working properly so it's all good.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Clembo
'Senior' Junior Member

Drives: 13 FR-S,08 Mustang Bullitt,06 MX-5
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Not sure about these cars but most today will show a residual footprint (evidence) of the aftermarket tune even if you reflashed back to stock. Usually the first thing the tech sees when he plugs in. 'Big brother' may be watching your ECU! But if the dealer is mod-friendly, shouldn't be an issue, especially if it has no bearing on the work to be done.

"You'll never know if you don't try" - Shinroko Momose
Clembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clembo View Post
Not sure about these cars but most today will show a residual footprint (evidence) of the aftermarket tune even if you reflashed back to stock. Usually the first thing the tech sees when he plugs in. 'Big brother' may be watching your ECU! But if the dealer is mod-friendly, shouldn't be an issue, especially if it has no bearing on the work to be done.
Speaking of mod friendly shops, know of any in CT?
sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Clembo
'Senior' Junior Member

Drives: 13 FR-S,08 Mustang Bullitt,06 MX-5
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sklimo View Post
Speaking of mod friendly shops, know of any in CT?
My Ford dealer is great with Mustangs and Shelbys. But for Scions / Subarus, none that I know of. I assume my own Toyota dealer might be a bit forgiving if only because I have been buying there for years and the parts manager is president of my Mustang club. But I doubt I'd push it even there.

Ask various Service Managers how they feel about mods and how far they would be willing to go. Some will ignore tunes, exhausts, intakes, etc., but not turbos / superchargers. - that's what I did at my Ford dealer and found the Service Manager has several highly modified cars and trucks himself. He said he'd cover anything that happened 'within reason'. There's always a caveat...

Don't forget you have some recourse under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. But many dealers will argue that the act doesn't apply to your 'problem' (even if it clearly does) and unless you have the time and energy to fight it, you'll be up the proverbial creek.

"You'll never know if you don't try" - Shinroko Momose
Clembo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clembo For This Useful Post:
sklimo (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Sony

Also check out www.dealerrater.com for ratings of dealers in your area, thats how I found CitySide
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
Clembo (04-05-2013), sklimo (04-05-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
rainmonkey

@Sony got it done today, they're ordering a fuel pump and a replacement antenna for the GPS thing (i thought it was a software update - but apparently not...)

No problems with the mods/tune.