follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #43
Sevs753

Drives: BRZ, Canyon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I just want to point out something. The dealer does not have to honor VIP pricing. All of the dealers in my area are not honoring it on the BRZ due to demand. So YMMV.
Sevs753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #44
Mollusk

Drives: Honda Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is the membership fee $30 per year or $30 per month?
Mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #45
maximumunicorn

Drives: '05 Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollusk View Post
Is the membership fee $30 per year or $30 per month?
Per year if I'm not mistaken (at least to IMBA): http://www.imba.com/membership
maximumunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #46
merlin2111

Drives: Widebody '94 Miata R-Package
Garage
They say that the student program makes you eligibale for all special offers, would that include this?

I <3 my Miata.
But I <3 my new BRZ even more!
merlin2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #47
jonnyozero3

Drives: 4 wheels & some metal bits
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevs753 View Post
I just want to point out something. The dealer does not have to honor VIP pricing. All of the dealers in my area are not honoring it on the BRZ due to demand. So YMMV.
It's a good point.

Note, I was not being denied, but I was being slow-rolled trying to do a lot swap. Picking a car in their pipeline was much easier.

Also, in my case the VIP program folks (at LNT at least) had no problem sequentially requesting and sending multiple Subaru VIP faxes to multiple dealers if you get turned down at your closest dealer. You'll just have to do it one at a time. It's a tactic to consider.
jonnyozero3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #48
maximumunicorn

Drives: '05 Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2111 View Post
They say that the student program makes you eligibale for all special offers, would that include this?

Yes. I'm a student-level member and the Subaru VIP pricing is still listed as a membership bonus.
maximumunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #49
996garage

Drives: 03' NSX & 13' BRZ 6spd Ltd white
I called all the SoCal Subaru dealers and none would honor the VIP pricing. As a Subaru oem parts supplier, I get invoice price with my company's VIP level. The best I could get was to have a dealer offer me MSRP instead.

Out of state dealers are offering great discounts that will still get you in below invoice price, even with shipping and dealer fees factored in. Therefore you don't need to be part of the VIP program to get the best price. I just ordered mine, and my VIP status didn't get me anything.
996garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #50
Immortality

Drives: Future BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996garage View Post
I called all the SoCal Subaru dealers and none would honor the VIP pricing. As a Subaru oem parts supplier, I get invoice price with my company's VIP level. The best I could get was to have a dealer offer me MSRP instead.

Out of state dealers are offering great discounts that will still get you in below invoice price, even with shipping and dealer fees factored in. Therefore you don't need to be part of the VIP program to get the best price. I just ordered mine, and my VIP status didn't get me anything.
Don't call the dealers directly. Talk directly to Subaru's VIP department, they will set you up with what ever dealer you choose. No point of having a VIP program if no one honors it.
Immortality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #51
JustStan

Drives: '00 Eclipse GT
Quote:

That's interesting. I'd love to hear from anyone else in Cali who's used or attempted to use the VIP program for their BRZ purchase. Anyone had any luck?
JustStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #52
jonnyozero3

Drives: 4 wheels & some metal bits
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortality View Post
Don't call the dealers directly. Talk directly to Subaru's VIP department, they will set you up with what ever dealer you choose. No point of having a VIP program if no one honors it.
Yeah, the VIP program specifically requests you don't contact the dealer first.

In the case of the BRZ it only makes sense - they are selling for ~MSRP in nice climate states. Of course they'd tell you to pound sand. But, I'd hazard a guess it'd be harder to be flippant if they were faxed your VIP form directly from Subaru of America before you called.

996: Either way, nice job scoring a deal out of state.
jonnyozero3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #53
Immortality

Drives: Future BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStan View Post
That's interesting. I'd love to hear from anyone else in Cali who's used or attempted to use the VIP program for their BRZ purchase. Anyone had any luck?
You just need to contact VIP services directly at 1-800-847-0933, talking to the dealers about the VIP program is just a waste of time. VIP services will set you up with a dealer and they will send all the required forms directly to them. This is the same in ANY state.

If you have VIP access give them a call and enjoy the 2% off invoice.
Immortality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #54
996garage

I actually did correspond with Subaru VIP directly over half a dozen times! I actually found that dealing with Subaru VIP services was a waste of time as well... at least when it comes to SoCal dealers. Sure the VIP site says to get the authorization letter before going to the dealer, but the Subaru VIP manager specifically told me to contact the dealer first to check on estimated wait times. She stated that dealers are NOT required to honor VIP pricing.

Basically it worked like this: 1) call dealer for eta on a brz, but they won't give you firm info until you are ready to buy 2) get code, fill out form, & get VIP authorization letters generated which are dealer specific 3) call or go to dealer with auth letter only to find out they will not honor VIP price for brz's, and they'll offer you VIP on an STi wrx instead. 4) repeat steps 1-3 for other SoCal dealers 5) realize no SoCal dealers will actually honor VIP price and buy from out of state for less than invoice price.

This may work in other states, but I've never heard of anyone who's actually been successful getting VIP pricing on a BRZ in SoCal.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #55
JustStan

Drives: '00 Eclipse GT
Quote:
This may work in other states, but I've never heard of anyone who's actually been successful getting VIP pricing on a BRZ in SoCal.
Well, that's a revoltin' development!
JustStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #56
996garage

You can call Clint at Heuberger Subaru in CO just to inquire about the pricing deal he can give you. He's super easy to work with and has helped many buyers from CA. His cell # is 719-330-8006. He's aware I'm posting his cell# since I was very happy with his customer service. He sourced me a car right away, that should ship out to me in CA next week.
- Steve