follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #393
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
62 here. But I'm very immature, so maybe I can get a discount on my physical age for that.

The idea of being 'too old' for a car is complete nonsense. Buy what you like and enjoy driving it. No one should care what other people think of their cars (unless you're one of those people, like a lot of Bee Em Double U drivers, who seem to buy a car primarily for its brag value and to show off and try to impress vapid strangers). The only person whose opinion matters when it comes to the cars you drive is your own.

My other cars are a WRX and a Mustang GT. I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about the 'age appropriateness' of those cars for me.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
joro2 (08-09-2020), StE92ve (08-11-2020), Tcoat (08-09-2020), ToySub1946 (08-12-2020), why? (08-12-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #394
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,464 Times in 971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
< snip >
The idea of being 'too old' for a car is complete nonsense.
< snip >
It is until it isn't! In reality, there comes a time in everyone's life when due to size and/or mobility issues we just can't ride or drive what we'd like too! I'd love to have another Lotus but getting in and out for the wife and I is not a spectator sport, if you know what I mean. I've stopped riding my sport bikes, (Ducati 900 Supersport and an MV Agusta F3) because I just can't stay in a tuck for any length of time. And don't get me started on night vision... Getting old sucks!
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Hoahao (08-09-2020), humfrz (08-09-2020), soundman98 (08-09-2020), The Red One (08-09-2020), ToySub1946 (08-12-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #395
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,862 Times in 16,439 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
62 here. But I'm very immature, so maybe I can get a discount on my physical age for that.

The idea of being 'too old' for a car is complete nonsense. Buy what you like and enjoy driving it. No one should care what other people think of their cars (unless you're one of those people, like a lot of Bee Em Double U drivers, who seem to buy a car primarily for its brag value and to show off and try to impress vapid strangers). The only person whose opinion matters when it comes to the cars you drive is your own.

My other cars are a WRX and a Mustang GT. I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about the 'age appropriateness' of those cars for me.
Is there a mrs AnalogMan?
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #396
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
It is until it isn't! In reality, there comes a time in everyone's life when due to size and/or mobility issues we just can't ride or drive what we'd like too! I'd love to have another Lotus but getting in and out for the wife and I is not a spectator sport, if you know what I mean. I've stopped riding my sport bikes, (Ducati 900 Supersport and an MV Agusta F3) because I just can't stay in a tuck for any length of time. And don't get me started on night vision... Getting old sucks!
I reckon its kind of like when someone ask this ol boy what belt size he wore. His replied was "I wear a size 32" ...... but a 38" is more comfortable".

I am finding that I am still comfortable getting in and out of my FR-S, but mrs humfrz's 4 door sedan is becoming more comfortable every year -
Old 08-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #397
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Garage
I thought for sure you were going to say you still fit in your 20" belt but it took two.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #398
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
It is until it isn't!
I completely agree with you when it comes to physical limitations and realities. Arthritis, deteriorating vision, joint diseases, cognitive impairment, etc. all are hard and harsh realities.

I was referring to perceptual or cultural issues. I don't think there should be such a thing as 'too old' or 'age appropriate' (or age inappropriate) based purely on perception or 'societal' nonsense.

But then, I've never cared what anyone else thinks of me or what I drive. Why should anyone else's opinion influence what I drive? Except of course for Mrs. AnalogMan (we've been together 38 years), who patiently tolerates my car illness. Usually...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-09-2020), why? (08-12-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #399
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
65 here…

I just developed some new Knee (both) issues in past 4 months out of nowhere. Some days I cannot walk 5 minutes if I actually get up and stand. Slipping on some Ice 8 years ago is suspect no1! Word to the wise : better fall on your ass than trying to recover the slip .

It takes some planning to get the car out of the garage and gassing it up.

No problem getting in. No fancy driving: The Heal-Toe downshifting no longer an option, the twist for that is just too painful & the hell with any quick breaking, some tire squeal is much more entertaining.

Sometimes when I get home I try to get out and its not happening and fall back in & then decide maybe its better If I just go for another ride…

We have a few new Roundabouts around here; I’ve taken a liking to go-round a few more times than really needed… The second gear seems to be the most satisfying at forgetting any pain.

Anxious young Neighbours I never met are now inquiring”How much for the BRZ old man”… It’s not for sale it runs fine.

Friends asking why I don’t have any Ought-to-matic cars available…

I’m a avid cyclist and staring at my bikes for the past 4 month is even more painful.

Waiting for the results of x-rays…

Never thought I would say it: getting old is no fun.

Any doubts if buying the BRZ at my age last year was a fools plan? GTH!

My biggest Bug is will it be my last car before they pull my licence!
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (08-10-2020), humfrz (08-10-2020), ToySub1946 (08-12-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #400
humfrz

Quote:
I completely agree with you when it comes to physical limitations and realities. Arthritis, deteriorating vision, joint diseases, cognitive impairment, etc. all are hard and harsh realities.

I was referring to perceptual or cultural issues. I don't think there should be such a thing as 'too old' or 'age appropriate' (or age inappropriate) based purely on perception or 'societal' nonsense.

But then, I've never cared what anyone else thinks of me or what I drive. Why should anyone else's opinion influence what I drive? Except of course for Mrs. AnalogMan (we've been together 38 years), who patiently tolerates my car illness. Usually...
Usually...... hmmm..... well now, maybe she is looking for some handsome man to offer her a ride in his car like this one ..... she may not come back -
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 08:40 PM   #401
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Usually...... hmmm..... well now, maybe she is looking for some handsome man to offer her a ride in his car like this one ..... she may not come back -
LOL! Lucky for me she's never liked Cadillacs or big cars in general. She actually talked me into buying the BRZ.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #402
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red One View Post
65 here…

I just developed some new Knee (both) issues in past 4 months out of nowhere. Some days I cannot walk 5 minutes if I actually get up and stand. Slipping on some Ice 8 years ago is suspect no1! Word to the wise : better fall on your ass than trying to recover the slip .

It takes some planning to get the car out of the garage and gassing it up.

No problem getting in. No fancy driving: The Heal-Toe downshifting no longer an option, the twist for that is just too painful & the hell with any quick breaking, some tire squeal is much more entertaining.

Sometimes when I get home I try to get out and its not happening and fall back in & then decide maybe its better If I just go for another ride…

We have a few new Roundabouts around here; I’ve taken a liking to go-round a few more times than really needed… The second gear seems to be the most satisfying at forgetting any pain.

Anxious young Neighbours I never met are now inquiring”How much for the BRZ old man”… It’s not for sale it runs fine.

Friends asking why I don’t have any Ought-to-matic cars available…

I’m a avid cyclist and staring at my bikes for the past 4 month is even more painful.

Waiting for the results of x-rays…

Never thought I would say it: getting old is no fun.

Any doubts if buying the BRZ at my age last year was a fools plan? GTH!

My biggest Bug is will it be my last car before they pull my licence!
The Red One, thanks for sharing your poignant and bittersweet story. I'm sorry to hear that you're having these health issues. You're absolutely right - getting old is definitely not fun. There's no upside to it (except it's better than the alternative...).

Your story is a reminder to everyone that we all have to enjoy life while we can. No one knows how much time they have left, or for how long we'll be able to do the things we like. The ongoing (and worsening) pandemic is yet another reminder that our time is limited.

I hope that you find treatments and solutions for your health issues, and that you'll be able to enjoy driving your BRZ for many more years to come.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #403
humfrz

I'd like to comment on this topic, but first I have to go take a nap to build up the energy - later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (08-10-2020), Ultramaroon (08-12-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #404
GreggVA

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
53 in earth years but early 20’s in FRS years.
TRD spoiler
Sparco drift 17x8 with 245/40R17 tires
GreggVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:34 AM   #405
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

The only physical restriction I have is trying to use that postage stamped size back up camera in the mirror with bifocals!
I probably look like I broke my neck.

AnalogMan (08-10-2020), humfrz (08-10-2020), Ultramaroon (08-12-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #406
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The only physical restriction I have is trying to use that postage stamped size back up camera in the mirror with bifocals!
I probably look like I broke my neck.

Well now, THAT would push me right over the edge - or back me over the edge -
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-10-2020)