follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2022, 10:57 AM   #127
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
I think in some sense you are pushing your point to a bit of an extreme. I do understand where you're coming from, but I think you're really trying to DEFINE a "manual guy" and an "auto guy". I think there's more categories out there than just those two, and people here are making an example of it. He didn't exactly say he was a manual guy, just simply that he loves them. It seems more like he has a balance of interest for a vehicle mated with its best designed transmission so to speak. He likes the PDK in a Porsche because... well that's where all the money went into for best shifts/performance. He likes the MT in a twin because that's what this type of car was best designed for.

But you're right, he's not the "manual guy" you say you are. And nor do I think he's trying to claim that status.
First, I wasn't going to give the guy who talks about his last three Porsche's the benefit of the doubt.

Second, this is yet another manual v. auto pissing match gloves-off right?

And I realize what started this thread is the question - is the MT faster than the automatic (answer - yes, it really is) - what my real question/issue farther down this thread is what portion of manual buyers of the new generation twins would not have bought this car if it weren't available as a manual. And when it comes to this question, guys who say - yeah, I'm a manual guy and really love manuals - but drive an auto twin (or other auto car) don't really provide any useful information.

And let's be clear, as much as the guys who drive autos think I am calling them "less-than" because I am asking the question, I'm really not. But having said that, guys that say I'm a manual guy but bought an auto because say, commute or traffic - you aren't really a manual guy, are you?

Now this Porsche guy is interesting because he owns multiple auto (yes PDK - but still auto) sports cars that he at least COULD have bought in a manual. I could see doing this in only one circumstance which I will never have - I am going to track the car and the auto/DSG/PDK is actually a performance upgrade. Even then, pretty sure every time I drove it I would kick myself saying - I should have got the manual.

Look - if someone wants to start a thread/club for manual lovers that buy autos be my guest. My club/group is manual over everything else.

Last edited by CincyJohn; 02-15-2022 at 11:10 AM.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:10 AM   #128
CincyJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
These threads are stupid more due to the "MT is magical and if you don't drive one you are a moron" attitude that so many like to exhibit than the actual nature of either tranny.
To be clear, I have said multiple times that I don't think there is anything wrong AT ALL with people buying an AT twin (or other car) or preferring an AT. I'm also not trying to argue you can't be a proper "car" guy if you don't buy a manual.

I am saying that if you are not like me (and others - maybe even you) that bought your twin BECAUSE it was a manual, your trying to convince me that the auto in the new twins is "not that bad" is a complete waste of time and misses the point. I never said it was good or bad - I don't give a shit if it's better than the best PDK ever made - it's not a car I want.

Of course, if you are like me (and others on this board) where you won't consider a non-manual car at this point (as long as there are other options available), you ARE interested in how big that group is. This is why it is relevant, to me at least, how many of the current twins buyers wouldn't have bought their car if it wasn't available in manual. My last two searches had the following criteria - manual transmission, back seats (even if marginally usable), two door, NOT an American muscle car, at a somewhat reasonable price (either new or used), rear/4 wheel drive. My next search may, or may not, eliminate the back seat requirement.

As you probably know, this leaves a pretty small group to pick from - several BMWs, a few Audis, the twins, and the Nissan when it comes out. And yes, I am worried that list is going to grow smaller over the years (as is the number of ICE choices). So I do look to other like-minded people to keep options alive as long as possible.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:45 AM   #129
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Thanks. The minivan argument is so tired. .
Yea, that's why I finally decided to actually try and look one up.

That's the only one I could find factory. Now, there are a good number of LS swapped Chevy Astros that would likely top this, but not too many soccer moms are trolling the street in those.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #130
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
I don't see this.
What they are saying is that it is a purpose built tranny and not an old Powerglide or the same as mom's base Corolla. It is quite suitable for their $27,000 Subaru....
These threads are stupid more due to the "MT is magical and if you don't drive one you are a moron" attitude that so many like to exhibit than the actual nature of either tranny.
Yea, as someone who is "transmission agnostic" I have to agree with this.

Look, I'm perfectly fine that some folks have a preference, either way, but neither is right or wrong. It's just a choice. I've literally driven 100's of thousands of miles with both formats, and it just doesn't matter to me any longer.

If I were racing, yea maybe, depending on the race type.

If the AT in the 86 had been a Powerglide class, yea would have gotten the MT.

If I bought another one? Who knows, depends on the whim of the day.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:16 PM   #131
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,990 Times in 2,202 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
"No one expects the " pro hockey game braking out here.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #132
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I bought mine BECAUSE it is a manual.
I would not have bought it if it only came as an auto.
And no, I will not even consider a Supra until it offers a manual. I don't care how great the auto is. I guess I'm just old and set in my ways.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 12:23 PM   #133
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I don't like bench seats either.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 12:24 PM   #134
CincyJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I bought mine BECAUSE it is a manual.
I would not have bought it if it only came as an auto.
And no, I will not even consider a Supra until it offers a manual. I don't care how great the auto is. I guess I'm just old and set in my ways.
I was amazed when I first started looking and found out Supra wasn't even available as a manual. Also amazed when the new Corvette wasn't offered in a manual. Our days of manual, ICE, rwd may be slowly coming to an end (although slower than most people are forecasting I would guess).
Old 02-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #135
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,228 Times in 1,138 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Automatics are more consistent which matters for repeatable results.

Manuals can be faster but the margin for error is larger. Plus the wear and tear if you are flat foot shifting banging gears etc. Not something I want to do with my daily but to each their own.

There's video footage of a 2017 doing 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. The same video shows multiple attempts with the worst closer to 8 seconds.

If you only line up one time an auto will run neck and neck of you mess up a launch.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:28 PM   #136
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,336 Times in 7,387 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hell, SOME people actually have a spare MT in their garage "just in case".
I feel attacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
I am saying that if you are not like me (and others - maybe even you) that bought your twin BECAUSE it was a manual, your trying to convince me that the auto in the new twins is "not that bad" is a complete waste of time and misses the point.
Then stop using "bad" and "good" as they are subjective in this context.

"I personally don't like the lack of driving engagement that comes without having a clutch pedal and an H pattern gear box." See? Just a statement of personal opinion.
Tcoat (02-15-2022), Ultramaroon (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 12:47 PM   #137
CincyJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Then stop using "bad" and "good" as they are subjective in this context.

Uhh - find one post where I (repeat I) referred to ATs/PDKs/DSGs as "good" or "bad." You won't find one because I haven't done it. The only time those terms have been used by me is in reference to what others have said/may feel. As I have said many times, autos aren't on any kind of scale for me of good or bad because they aren't on my scale at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 12:49 PM   #138
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,336 Times in 7,387 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
your trying to convince me that the auto in the new twins is "not that bad" is a complete waste of time and misses the point.
Quote:
Uhh - find one post where I (repeat I) referred to ATs/PDKs/DSGs as "good" or "bad." You won't find one because I haven't done it. The only time those terms have been used by me is in reference to what others have said/may feel.
Literally the post I quoted of yours that you are quoting of me.

Postception
Old 02-15-2022, 01:23 PM   #139
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
To be clear, I have said multiple times that I don't think there is anything wrong AT ALL with people buying an AT twin (or other car) or preferring an AT. I'm also not trying to argue you can't be a proper "car" guy if you don't buy a manual.

I am saying that if you are not like me (and others - maybe even you) that bought your twin BECAUSE it was a manual, your trying to convince me that the auto in the new twins is "not that bad" is a complete waste of time and misses the point. I never said it was good or bad - I don't give a shit if it's better than the best PDK ever made - it's not a car I want.

Of course, if you are like me (and others on this board) where you won't consider a non-manual car at this point (as long as there are other options available), you ARE interested in how big that group is. This is why it is relevant, to me at least, how many of the current twins buyers wouldn't have bought their car if it wasn't available in manual. My last two searches had the following criteria - manual transmission, back seats (even if marginally usable), two door, NOT an American muscle car, at a somewhat reasonable price (either new or used), rear/4 wheel drive. My next search may, or may not, eliminate the back seat requirement.

As you probably know, this leaves a pretty small group to pick from - several BMWs, a few Audis, the twins, and the Nissan when it comes out. And yes, I am worried that list is going to grow smaller over the years (as is the number of ICE choices). So I do look to other like-minded people to keep options alive as long as possible.
I have owned around 30 cars over my life.
If I remember correctly 26 of them were standards and 4 were automatics.
Of the 4 automatics two were the fastest drag cars I ever had. It took some work and a shift kit to make each of those autos effective but they were better at doing the job than a manual every would have been.
Of the 26 standards maybe 10 of them were really great. The others ranged from just OK to "oh my good this sucks and should be an auto".
The point being there are some really nice ATs and some MTs that are horrid and saying simply "I am a MT guy" has zero meaning in the big picture.
This whole mystic and passion for MTs is a relatively new thing. I do not recall a single person back in the 70s looking down upon others for having an AT. In fact at the drag strips the AT crowd did (and probably still do) hand the MTs their asses on a regular basis.
Dadhawk (02-15-2022), Ernest72 (02-15-2022), OwlDance (05-30-2022), Ultramaroon (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 01:38 PM   #140
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
saying simply "I am a MT guy" has zero meaning in the big picture.
This whole mystic and passion for MTs is a relatively new thing. I do not recall a single person back in the 70s looking down upon others for having an AT. In fact at the drag strips the AT crowd did (and probably still do) hand the MTs their asses on a regular basis.
You may have hit on the actual solution here, its a generational thing, which I never thought of.

My recollection is exactly as yours. In high school and college I owned at least a half dozen cars, some manual some auto, some fast some slow. Never did the discussion of the transmission come up. What mattered were the results.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-15-2022), Ultramaroon (02-15-2022)