follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-22-2022, 07:45 PM   #561
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Cheaper grid storage battery.
I listened to like a hour long show on OPB about these back in June. Seems promising. I recall they were saying you would need a unit the size of a refrigerator for an average home. Would be nice if they could get the energy density up a bit.
Irace86.2.0 (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 10:52 PM   #562
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I listened to like a hour long show on OPB about these back in June. Seems promising. I recall they were saying you would need a unit the size of a refrigerator for an average home. Would be nice if they could get the energy density up a bit.
For grid storage, the difference in size isn't that big of a deal. For home storage, I would just build a shed over it if it was an eye sore, or I would tuck it under the stairs closet or in the corner of the garage. If it was a two-thirds the price of a Tesla Powerwall then I'll save the four grand and deal with the bulk, especially if it could last twice as long.
NoHaveMSG (09-23-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 06:42 AM   #563
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/27/chin...ered-cars.html
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:58 AM   #564
Irace86.2.0

France's nuclear energy strategy — once its pride and joy — faces big problems this winter

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Quote:
A long-standing source of national pride, France generates roughly 70% of its electricity from a nuclear fleet of 56 reactors, all operated by state-owned utility EDF.
Quote:
However, more than half of EDF's nuclear reactors have been shut down for corrosion problems, maintenance and technical issues in recent months, thanks in part to extreme heat waves and repair delays from the Covid pandemic. The outages have resulted in French power output falling to a near 30-year low just as the European Union faces its worst energy crisis in decades.
Quote:
"Yes, it's low carbon but it's not economic. You need to nationalize EDF to make it happen. Yes, it offers baseload but wait a second, sometimes a whole plant disappears for weeks and months, so that baseload promise is not really there," Ruecker said.
Quote:
French power prices climbed to a string of all-time highs this summer, peaking at an eyewatering level of around 1,100 euros ($1,073) per megawatt hour in late August.
Quote:
Underlining the structural problems in the country's nuclear fleet, France not only lost its position as Europe's biggest exporter of electricity this year but also, remarkably, actually imported more power than it exported.
Quote:
France's ailing power output has renewed criticism of its nuclear-heavy energy strategy at a time when many others in Europe are turning to atomic power as a replacement for a shortfall in Russian gas.

Germany, which initially planned to shutter its three remaining reactors by the end of the year, decided to delay its nuclear phaseout to shore up energy supplies this winter. The U.K., meanwhile, is seeking to ramp up its nuclear power generation, and the EU has listed nuclear energy among its list of "green" investments.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:10 PM   #565
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
France's nuclear energy strategy — once its pride and joy — faces big problems this winter

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen
while it's a problem, digging a little deeper gives a little more clarity

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/A...orrosion-issue

Quote:
Doroszczuk said that it seemed that EDF’s older 900 MW reactors - there are 32 of them in total - were not as affected by the corrosion problems as the others, where the initial design by Westinghouse had been "Frenchified" with the new "geometry of the lines" now seen as a more likely cause of the issue than the welds themselves. This new "geometry of the lines" promotes a phenomenon of thermal stratification of the fluid at the top and bottom of the pipe, which generates stress in the weld zones, he said.
so it's really more of a thermal-cycling issue than a corrosion issue. i assume it's a translation difference.

but also interesting is how they 'frenchified the geometry of the lines', which seems to have created unintended thermal loading by re-designing the line orientation from the original design...

so they literally said "hey westinghouse, we're french, we know better, watch this"

and now westinghouse gets to say "lol, how's our design now?"
Old 10-07-2022, 01:14 AM   #566
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
while it's a problem, digging a little deeper gives a little more clarity

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/A...orrosion-issue

so it's really more of a thermal-cycling issue than a corrosion issue. i assume it's a translation difference.

but also interesting is how they 'frenchified the geometry of the lines', which seems to have created unintended thermal loading by re-designing the line orientation from the original design...

so they literally said "hey westinghouse, we're french, we know better, watch this"

and now westinghouse gets to say "lol, how's our design now?"
I don't know that clarity on what caused the stress corrosion changes much. The point of the article was just to talk about France having issues with its nuclear fleet, talking about the cost associated with nuclear and just considering the issues they might have with importing energy and reducing exports. I'm sure that means they will likely rely on fossil fuel sources for energy in the meantime, which isn't good for the planet.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:04 PM   #567
soundman98

Quote:
I don't know that clarity on what caused the stress corrosion changes much. The point of the article was just to talk about France having issues with its nuclear fleet, talking about the cost associated with nuclear and just considering the issues they might have with importing energy and reducing exports. I'm sure that means they will likely rely on fossil fuel sources for energy in the meantime, which isn't good for the planet.
it does for me, as i wanted to know if this was a scenario specific to the french with their environment, or their rules/regulations. i wanted to know if the failure was highly likely to every nuclear power plant in existence. the french aren't the only one's in that type of climate, so a corrosion issue that applies to them could very well apply to countless other nuclear power plants across the globe, which would have a dramatic effect both in direct power costs for much larger global stage, as well as the obvious environmental effects.

the answer seems to be more of the fact that the french modified an existing design to suit their design goals, and through an unknown error/design goal, are now paying a significant cost for that in extreme downtime.

what i find interesting is that they appear to be only looking to fix/repair the damage, and not re-pipe the system in a way that would address the thermal problem, meaning that all these problems are going to surface again in a number of years, and we'll be having this conversation all over again.
Old 10-08-2022, 01:59 AM   #568
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
it does for me, as i wanted to know if this was a scenario specific to the french with their environment, or their rules/regulations. i wanted to know if the failure was highly likely to every nuclear power plant in existence. the french aren't the only one's in that type of climate, so a corrosion issue that applies to them could very well apply to countless other nuclear power plants across the globe, which would have a dramatic effect both in direct power costs for much larger global stage, as well as the obvious environmental effects.

the answer seems to be more of the fact that the french modified an existing design to suit their design goals, and through an unknown error/design goal, are now paying a significant cost for that in extreme downtime.

what i find interesting is that they appear to be only looking to fix/repair the damage, and not re-pipe the system in a way that would address the thermal problem, meaning that all these problems are going to surface again in a number of years, and we'll be having this conversation all over again.
Of course it doesn't have anything to do with their environment. Nuclear power plants are all over the world and made in all types of ways and are subject to different climates different times of the year. This corrosion could happen in any environment. The cracks led to leaks which lead to corrosion.

A full scale rebuild would probably take years, and I have no idea if it is worth it in downtime and worth it if the plants are going to be decommissioned soon anyways.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/mapped-t...-power-plants/
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2022, 01:25 PM   #569
soundman98

well considering i'm in the rust belt, i guess i automatically attribute 'corrosion' with environmental effects.

that's generally what does all our vehicles in..
Old 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM   #570
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
well considering i'm in the rust belt, i guess i automatically attribute 'corrosion' with environmental effects.

that's generally what does all our vehicles in..
Rust belt. Salt belt. Same thing, right? Yeah, I think this corrosion is more inside out from leaks than rust breaking down or working through pipes like in the salt belt.

The quote about “global warming heat waves” causing issues was probably less with corrosion and more with their ability to make repairs and do maintenance.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:39 PM   #571
Irace86.2.0

This sounds too good to be true, Rondo Energy:

Over 100 year grid storage energy system that has 98% storage efficiency, 20% of the cost of lithium ion batteries and uses no critical compounds.

Old 10-21-2022, 12:19 AM   #572
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well said. I hope these voices will spread more around the western world instead of those psychopaths that are ruining everything, including the majority of modern cars, and pretend that it's for some bulshit abstract "good for the planet".
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur-A For This Useful Post:
AsphaltJ (10-22-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 08:05 AM   #573
soundman98

I'm confused, who's the psychopath now?
Captain Snooze (10-21-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 10:40 PM   #574
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
Well said. I hope these voices will spread more around the western world instead of those psychopaths that are ruining everything, including the majority of modern cars, and pretend that it's for some bulshit abstract "good for the planet".
Peterson has some good points and some bad points. He tends to fall apart talking about areas outside of his expertise and trying to play to conservative talking points when he self-confesses to not being a republican. This happens when he talks about climate change or religion. He tries to attack it with the same level of argument, but he lacks the expertise or doesn't have the science to back up theologic claims, so he goes off-kilter, and he falls apart straining to make an argument that sounds as rational and grounded in truth.

Oil is finite, so moving to renewables is necessary. Climate change, pollution, destroying habitats, killing off species, over-fishing, etc...these aren't made up. These are real issues that humans are causing or greatly accelerating. I read today that the US is recycling like 5% of plastic. The world seems to be going to shit real fast and all one side wants to do is put their head in the sand and be bitter about sacrificing the ability to coal roll on people. I just don't get it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...021-greenpeace

On a side note: I've never cared for him reading his own essays. It just doesn't flow.

Tags
youguysneedlives