follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List
timurrrr

Old 08-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #687
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
I mean it doesn't even make sense that they would build a low volume car in separate factories like that. Haven't heard that for a good 10 years
There was a whole conversation about waiting until they built the next "batch" of blue ones a couple of weeks ago.
soundman98 (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 02:21 PM   #688
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
I'd be surprised if any dealer would install aftermarket parts because they have to document their entire process, and time-studies for aftermarket stuff varies by manufacturer, let alone "voiding warranties per the customer's request." You don't have any local shops near you that would do it?
I can install it myself, but the whole point was that the dealer cleans the oil pickup and documents it. I figured since the oil pan is coming off, I’ll slap on the baffled one and call it a day. It’s an OEM part made by Subaru… just not sold in America(not yet at least). I even Told them I’ll show them the receipt and bring it in the box.

Same dealer installed a JDM diffuser from Japan for another local brz, even though the jdm version isn’t sold here and has a different part number(it’s the same thing as the USA version but is black in color).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I asked my Subaru service dept if they would install the duckbill spoiler for my BRZ while I did the loan paperwork.

Since it didn't come in a Subaru box, they said no. Told me to call an aftermarket shop they trust. They wanted $400 in labor. Which is what I paid for the damn thing shipped.

Guess I'm going to have to go back to not being too lazy to work on my car again.
In reality, with the whole oil pickup cleaning job, there’s is no extra effort or labor involved in installing the new oil pan. In fact, it saves the tech the hassle of cleaning up the old oil pan.

Money wasn’t a concern, but I wanted the cleaning done by the dealer to have clear documentation of it
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mycrors7 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-16-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 02:30 AM   #689
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloven View Post
What specifically would you be hoping to accomplish with this “check”? Once the pan is off the dealership will have to reseal. Is your goal to pay for them to remove whatever sealant was applied from factory and redo by hand? In terms of risk aversion this seems like a lateral move at best given it’s completely up to the tech to properly execute the second application.
Now this guy does some Risk Analysis right here.

Good job calling this out
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 03:05 AM   #690
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Axel View Post
Since when is removing an oil pan "altering" or "tampering" with the engine? And who started this fearmongering BS? Are you both recommending that people not check an oil screen that's known to be getting clogged due to a faulty manufacturing process? Whoever is pushing this idea seems to have an agenda to influence people to let their engines be ruined by not bothering to even check for a known problem that could lead to catastrophic engine failure.

This is extremely bad and irresponsible advice. Drive it hard and let it blow, really? If you document it and take pictures, with other video and image documentation all over the internet, you're saying they will deny warranty claims just because you removed an oil pan yourself?

A screen is not meant to stay obstructed/clogged permanantly with debris.

Even IF removing an oil pan could be considered "altering or tampering with the engine," which I challenge as BS, the faulty manufacturing process causing the oil pickup screen to be clogged prematurely and frequently makes null and void that line item in the warranty pertaining to access and remedy of said problem. Also, it seems farfetched to say that reapplying RTV sealant that was put on wrong at the factory in the first place is "altering or tampering with the engine." With all the pictures and video of sloppy application of RTV, and RTV found in pickup screen and oil filter, they have little to no legs to stand on there.

A warranty is not a writ of a dictator. If something about it isn't fair or just, it would not hold up under scrutiny of law.

Further, I highly doubt either Subaru or Toyota would want or expect anyone to not try to remedy a known issue that could lead to catastrophic engine failure.

On the flip side, there could be tremendous liability issues if someone were to get hurt trying to access and unclog a screen known to be caused by faulty manufacturing process that potentially leads to catastrophic engine failure.

This is a very serious issue.

So tell me, has there been instance of anyone on social media or anywhere else, that removed the oil pan and found no RTV debris in the oil pickup screen? I don't recall seeing any. If everyone looking is finding it, this indicates the problem is very wide spread.

No, I am not a lawyer or an automotive engineer. I'm not giving advice, just calling out BS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Axel View Post
Common sense on social media? Good luck finding that.

Because the current issue at hand necessitates an urgency to check for problems that can and have caused catastrophic engine failure. There is plenty of evidence to counter that argument, that the customer/owner caused the failure simply by inspecting for that very problem of improperly applied sealant at the factory clogging the oil pickup screen.

It is NOT the same thing. This is a semantical argument parrotted by social media sh*t stirrers that get off on the idea of gen 2 failures.

Holy crap dude, you need to chill out, you're 59 and acting like an angry child on the forum and it's not really necessary. Tcoat has been on the forums quite a long time and chimes in on everything and in this case is pretty accurate on his assumption.

I don't know if you have modded any modern cars in the last decade, but removing the oil pan and checking when a vehicle is still under power train warranty can get a warranty claim denied. If the tech is observant enough to notice how how the RTV on the pan was replaced with a gasket or silicone not of the same type from the factory they may assume the car was tampered with and the service writer and tech MAY void out your repair claim.

Technicians are especially focused on these things on cars like this, the WRX, mustangs, camaros etc etc etc due to the nature of the community and modding.

In that case you'd have to spend hours on the phone complaining to either SOA or Toyota of America and justify that taking off the pan was for your own reasons this and that and how you went on the web and saw stories of this and that blah blah blah.

In this case because there is enough news and forum attention they may not void anything and if they do once you get far enough up the chain they will probably reverse the void, given the warranty void issue with the owner who tracked the car and it having to be corrected. But do you really want to deal with all that.

However most dealers are clueless as are their techs and service writers and they will have 0 awareness of this issue unless a TSB or recall is issued, so you will be trying to prove the argument you stated in your posts to clueless people most of the time.

Do you seriously want to deal with all that on a car you just paid 30k for with a warranty? Especially when the sample size relative to those affected is low?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Opie (08-22-2022), Rustyoid (08-17-2022), soundman98 (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 09:09 AM   #691
danson

Drives: 22 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I asked my Subaru service dept if they would install the duckbill spoiler for my BRZ while I did the loan paperwork.

Since it didn't come in a Subaru box, they said no. Told me to call an aftermarket shop they trust. They wanted $400 in labor. Which is what I paid for the damn thing shipped.

Guess I'm going to have to go back to not being too lazy to work on my car again.
Hey the dealer near me wouldnt even install my STI spoiler and told me to find a body shop "cause they didnt want to drill" depsite it being a dealer accessory
danson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danson For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 01:00 PM   #692
mycrors7

I asked SOA about the STI cup oil pan, and according to them “it’s not designed for the US vehicle”
So essentially they’re treating it like an aftermarket upgrade

Well time to Rethink this whole scenario
Might just keep the STI pan ready and toss it on at the 30k mark once warranty expires and all engine issues fall onto me.
I’ll have the dealer clean and put the oem pan back in for now
The Following User Says Thank You to mycrors7 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 01:25 PM   #693
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
I asked SOA about the STI cup oil pan, and according to them “it’s not designed for the US vehicle”

Might just keep the STI pan ready and toss it on at the 30k mark once warranty expires and all engine issues fall onto me.
UMMMMM

Subaru Major Component Warranty (60-month / 60,000 miles)

COVERED MAJOR COMPONENTS ARE:
ENGINE

Engine block & all internal parts
Cylinder heads & valve train
Oil pump
Oil pan
Timing belts/chain or gears & covers & hydraulic tensioner
Water pump
Flywheel
Intake & exhaust manifold
Engine mounts
Seals & gaskets

Although if you hit the 30K mark without issues you are probably in the clear and can do whatever you want anyway.
FRSBRZGT86FAN (08-19-2022), mycrors7 (08-17-2022), soundman98 (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 02:09 PM   #694
mycrors7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
UMMMMM

Subaru Major Component Warranty (60-month / 60,000 miles)

COVERED MAJOR COMPONENTS ARE:
ENGINE

Engine block & all internal parts
Cylinder heads & valve train
Oil pump
Oil pan
Timing belts/chain or gears & covers & hydraulic tensioner
Water pump
Flywheel
Intake & exhaust manifold
Engine mounts
Seals & gaskets

Although if you hit the 30K mark without issues you are probably in the clear and can do whatever you want anyway.
Oh it’s 60k for warranty? Yikes I gotta drive more LOL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mycrors7 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-17-2022), soundman98 (08-17-2022), Tcoat (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 02:15 PM   #695
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Wife: Why are you driving the car to get the mail?
Me: No reason.

Also Me: I want to put a turbo on the car.
Wife: Won't that void the warranty?
Also Me: We're past 60,000 miles, so no.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-17-2022), Jianlun (08-17-2022), mycrors7 (08-17-2022), soundman98 (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 02:31 PM   #696
Tcoat

Quote:
Because of travel restrictions this is the first car I have owned in 20 years where I didn't burn through the warranty on mileage in 2 or 3 years.
Dadhawk (08-17-2022), mycrors7 (08-17-2022), soundman98 (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 08:06 PM   #697
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about the STI pan to be honest unless you plan to heavily track the car with sticky tires.
soundman98 (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 08:09 PM   #698
mycrors7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I wouldn't worry about the STI pan to be honest unless you plan to heavily track the car with sticky tires.
but... but.. what else am i supposed to brag about when i go to boba car meets

but fr tho, i was only doing it because it's already coming off. It doesnt hurt having it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mycrors7 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (08-17-2022), Tcoat (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 08:23 PM   #699
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

but fr tho, i was only doing it because it's already coming off. It doesnt hurt having it.

Lol fair enough.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:01 PM   #700
Tcoat

Quote:
You have options

flippy (09-13-2022), mycrors7 (08-17-2022), soundman98 (08-17-2022)

Tags
oh no not again