follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2022, 10:32 AM   #15
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
From memory, Toyota Crown still exists in China, and it is based in Lexus platform. Had a chance to be driven in a 4th gen and it was very comparable to BMW serie 5 to me.
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 11:16 AM   #16
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,764 Times in 934 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
I got excited for a second. I thought it was a Toyota Century.
Ahhhhh.... Fart muffling wool seat upholstery for the win!
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:15 PM   #17
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This is part of the "Crown" line up. IDK if the US is getting it however.

I have always loved the 14th gen Crown Athlete.

PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (07-18-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 11:35 PM   #18
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
there are 4 cars in the Crown lineup, seems Toyota is globalizing it for this 16th generation. The Crown has always been a RWD sedan (they had a wagon long ago) and thats changing for this generation. The other thing is the Crown has largely been a japanese only car for most of its life (The earliest crowns did get exported but i think it got replaced fairly quickly for something more suited to the export market)

I heard the last generation (15th) got too big and unpopular for the japanese market, probably why they want to expand it out but not kill the nameplate.

For anyone who doesnt know what this car is, think of it as a Toyota branded 5 series or Toyota branded Lexus GS.
https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/37540641.html

This generation is a little weird as the cars use both the global FWD platform (avalon/camry) and has one variant that uses a barely utilized RWD platform (Crown/Mirai). Lexus has its own RWD platform variants that isnt the same as this one as far as i know.
-The first global crown is the one we get, that raised AWD Sedan. It honestly looks alot better in one colour than it does in the 2 tone.
-The red one is a crown sport hatch...it actually looks like a Porsche Macan. Another funny thing is that red car is the exact same car as the crossover EV revealed during Toyota's global EV plan reveal a few months back lol.
-The grey car is a RWD Sedan Crown, just like the previous generations. It actually looks kind of like a reskin of the second gen Toyota Mirai.
-The yellow one is their Crown "wagon/SUV"

As far as i know, North America only gets the raised AWD sedan. Other markets will see the other variants (some, but not all i think)

The designs are wierd....looks like a blend of their planned EV's (like shown in that EV reveal and the Bz4X) and the current lineup of Corolla, Camry, Avalon, etc.

I gotta admit with the different colours, they kind of look like a "fun" lineup.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
bcj (07-17-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 11:43 PM   #19
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
From memory, Toyota Crown still exists in China, and it is based in Lexus platform. Had a chance to be driven in a 4th gen and it was very comparable to BMW serie 5 to me.
china is wierd, they got a luxified Toyota highlander and called it the Crown kluger, and they also go some variant of the Toyota Alphard and called it the Crown Alphard. I think Crown might be turning into a subbrand of its own there.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote