follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2022, 12:00 AM   #1275
ojuniour

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyGopher View Post
Oof, that's expensive for 2mm. No thanks.

The Blox TB is showing up tomorrow. I'll be installing the kit over the weekend. I'll be able to confirm fitment or not in the next few days. After some quick measurements, the supercharger TB port is 70mm, which is also the size of the Blox TB. My guess is they'll line up very nicely. The TB also doesn't have the same coolant jackets that the OEM unit does, so there should be some more clearance there in case the unit itself is actually a bit bigger than measured.
let us know how the install and performance go?
ojuniour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:50 AM   #1276
FunnyGopher

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojuniour View Post
let us know how the install and performance go?
100% will if it ends up fitting. I received it earlier today and it's probably 6mm wider than OEM. It's tapered a bit oddly unlike the OEM though, so it's possible that might save me. We'll find out this weekend though.
Harrop Supercharger | Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit | ACE Type-A 350 Header + OP | CSG Touring 86 Catback | RacerX Fabrication Catch Can | Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler | Tuned by Zach from CSG
FunnyGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:47 AM   #1277
FunnyGopher

So I got the kit half installed today. Made it to step 6.something, but the intake is bolted down and things are sort of hooked back up. I am incredibly excited to say that the Blox 70mm throttle body does actually fit at this stage. The belt is not on, the car is not running, etc., so this is just preliminary, but there's a good chance it's okay. It's pretty freaking close though. Pulley is the 90mm.
Attached Images

Harrop Supercharger | Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit | ACE Type-A 350 Header + OP | CSG Touring 86 Catback | RacerX Fabrication Catch Can | Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler | Tuned by Zach from CSG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FunnyGopher For This Useful Post:
Brz-123 (05-29-2022), RedReplicant (05-29-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 08:07 AM   #1278
FunnyGopher

Made more progress on the kit today, but ran into a bit of a snag at the very end. Kit is totally on. Bleeding the coolant, pump won't start. After much diagnosing later, we come to the conclusion that the switch relay is bad and not sending switched power to the pump. Jumping the hot wire to the switched power started the pump right up. Need to either find another switch relay or ask Harrop for another. I might do both.

EDIT: Found some switch relays on Amazon that will show up tomorrow. Hope it fixes the problem. I'll try again tomorrow!

Last edited by FunnyGopher; 05-30-2022 at 08:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FunnyGopher For This Useful Post:
Brz-123 (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 08:11 AM   #1279
Brz-123

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Made more progress on the kit today, but ran into a bit of a snag at the very end. Kit is totally on. Bleeding the coolant, pump won't start. After much diagnosing later, we come to the conclusion that the switch relay is bad and not sending switched power to the pump. Jumping the hot wire to the switched power started the pump right up. Need to either find another switch relay or ask Harrop for another. I might do both.
Good luck mate. The finish is near. Just that last bit.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Brz-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brz-123 For This Useful Post:
FunnyGopher (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 10:46 AM   #1280
grumpysnapper

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
So I got the kit half installed today. Made it to step 6.something, but the intake is bolted down and things are sort of hooked back up. I am incredibly excited to say that the Blox 70mm throttle body does actually fit at this stage. The belt is not on, the car is not running, etc., so this is just preliminary, but there's a good chance it's okay. It's pretty freaking close though. Pulley is the 90mm.
Thats looking great, the key tolerances on the aircon side are not too bad at all... and there is enough "meat" on the aircon compressor protrusions that a little file action wouldn't be an issue anyway.

The belt will fit nice and snuggly inside that pulley, so that shouldnt be an issue.

Last edited by grumpysnapper; 05-30-2022 at 10:57 AM.
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:56 PM   #1281
ojuniour

wait..why don't you get the 85mm pulley.. I believe that will give you even more leeway, No?
Old 05-30-2022, 10:36 PM   #1282
FunnyGopher

Quote:
wait..why don't you get the 85mm pulley.. I believe that will give you even more leeway, No?
So when I asked about making ~320whp and pulley size, I was given the option of running a 90 or 85 to meet those goals. However, I also didn't want to be making over 350whp. So I decided to go with the 90, and bump things up from there when I get the itch.

The pulley size was NOT in anticipation of a larger sized throttle body. Things just happen to work out in my favor here.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:37 PM   #1283
FunnyGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
Thats looking great, the key tolerances on the aircon side are not too bad at all... and there is enough "meat" on the aircon compressor protrusions that a little file action wouldn't be an issue anyway.

The belt will fit nice and snuggly inside that pulley, so that shouldnt be an issue.
Right, right, that's what I was thinking. I don't have a picture of the belt on, but yeah, it fit nice and snug in that pulley. The clearances didn't really change at all. Very happy it all came together the way it did. I'll snap a pic when I get back to the garage to fix the relay.

Last edited by FunnyGopher; 05-30-2022 at 11:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FunnyGopher For This Useful Post:
grumpysnapper (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 02:48 AM   #1284
ojuniour

Hmmm i thought that's..with e85 to get to that 350 range, and beside you can use "ultra" safe tune that is geared toward safer timing rather than performance also.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:13 AM   #1285
FunnyGopher

Quote:
Hmmm i thought that's..with e85 to get to that 350 range, and beside you can use "ultra" safe tune that is geared toward safer timing rather than performance also.
I will be running E52 in the car at all times. I do have a flex kit for the situations where I HAVE to get 91, but I've been running nothing but ethanol for the past 4 years.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:12 PM   #1286
FunnyGopher

Okay, so I've been busy the past couple days, but the relays I ordered solved the problem and the install has been finished. I'm on the third revision with the tune. I've only done a 3rd gear pull to 6.8k.

Car feels, and looks, fantastic. I'm very happy I held off and waited to get this kit and didn't buckle into getting the Edelbrock or JR kit. Not a lot of supercharged 86s out here, and I've only ever driven turbo'd ones, so I'm glad the power delivery is exactly what I was expecting it to be.

The throttle body does noticeably overrun a bit more than OEM when at parking speeds. I've been told this is due to a combination of the stock calibration keeping the car from stalling and the larger throttle body. My tuner doesn't recommend the bigger TB. Says he can't guarantee anything with it and to use it at my own risk. So I'm a bit torn. I think it's unique, and it will obviously help make power up top, and I also lived with the overrun on a 72mm throttle body while the car was NA. I got used to it. My thinking is the problem is more the drivability than the ability for it to kill the engine.

EDIT: Lol, peep the grams TB on the far left of the image
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FunnyGopher For This Useful Post:
grumpysnapper (06-04-2022), Irace86.2.0 (06-04-2022), RedReplicant (06-03-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #1287
grumpysnapper

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Okay, so I've been busy the past couple days, but the relays I ordered solved the problem and the install has been finished. I'm on the third revision with the tune. I've only done a 3rd gear pull to 6.8k.

Car feels, and looks, fantastic. I'm very happy I held off and waited to get this kit and didn't buckle into getting the Edelbrock or JR kit. Not a lot of supercharged 86s out here, and I've only ever driven turbo'd ones, so I'm glad the power delivery is exactly what I was expecting it to be.

The throttle body does noticeably overrun a bit more than OEM when at parking speeds. I've been told this is due to a combination of the stock calibration keeping the car from stalling and the larger throttle body. My tuner doesn't recommend the bigger TB. Says he can't guarantee anything with it and to use it at my own risk. So I'm a bit torn. I think it's unique, and it will obviously help make power up top, and I also lived with the overrun on a 72mm throttle body while the car was NA. I got used to it. My thinking is the problem is more the drivability than the ability for it to kill the engine.
looks great, well done!

Given its the start of your Harrop journey, in the short term at least, you could think about going back to the standard throttle body and enjoy a really nicely well sorted system/tune, without the overun compromises etc?

That way you can then have a good feel for how the whole thing is working now, which might give you a clearer perspective for your next development steps re. TB's

(You also now have a great excuse to get rid of that excess factory intake "sound" tuning plastic rubbish in the engine bay...gives you more room to move , looks cleaner...and it even saves a tiny bit of weight)
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:14 PM   #1288
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't think there are a lot of gains to be made with a bigger throttle body on the FA20. Using the stock throttle body like your tuner suggested is probably the way to go.
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote