follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #99
Scalzo

Drives: Asphalt FRS <3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
I'll start driving the Clutchmasters FX300 this weekend. Will input feedback here ASAP.
This^^I'm thinking of getting the Cluchmasters FX300, A lot of guys with FI are getting this. Lemme know what you think
Old 07-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #100
Jtymay92

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can someone make a video of the noises the clutch makes?
Jtymay92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #101
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Spent some time yesterday breaking in the FX300//350. I need to drive a 6 puck clutch to know the real difference, but this clutch seems pretty easy to drive. This might sound stupid, but I find it easier to smooth shift in this clutch then the stock one. Maybe all of this will change when its completely broken in, but that's how it is driving so far.
Quote:
If I recall correctly, its between 11-12 lbs. Also, FYI, I bought a kit labeled "FX300" but it was in fact a 350. Also, if you go to clutchmasters site, you cannot build an FX300 for our cars, only 350. Its VERY streetable, no complains on it at all.
Quote:
I wanted to once and for all tell the community I finally deciphered what Clutch I have. It's an FX350. Part # CM15738-HDFF-SK.

For some reason they put on the box the sticker for FX300, but if you look at their parts catalog that part number is for FX350. Moreso, they don't sell an FX300 for our cars.

Lastly, in their products page they describe the FX300 as having a Kevlar clutch (this is basically the difference between the FX300 and FX350, material of the clutch). I didn't get a Kevlar clutch, but a "Formula Button disc" as they call it. All in all very happy with my clutch and very happy CM erred on my side.

Also want to send a BIG shoutout to Brady @Pure Automotive. I requested this part like at 9 a.m. on a Thursday for it to arrive next day Friday. He went on a mission and got it in the mail before the cutoff time for next day shipments AND even helped me offset some of the cost for the next day shipping. Great guy, can't be happier with him!!
Quote:
@lbroskee, here are my thoughts on the ACT 6 puck clutch.

Pedal feel is actually LESS hard than mine. It felt light right after driving my car back to back.

The clutch engagement point is harsher than mine (kind of obvious but just to confirm). Even with that, it is not a hard clutch to use. You just need to modulate the RPMs to get it to grab. My clutch is a bit more forgiving. You can slip y clutch more to give you some room as to when to engage. The 6 puck wants to engage as soon as it touches, but again, I was able to drive Chris's car with no issues and the only time it almost died was the first time I let the clutch out but it didn't die. All other instances were smooth.

It's not a bad option at all. It was surprisingly easy to drive after reading a lot of people here complaint that it is so hard to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Not exactly. Let me outline the options:

ACT has a lighter pedal feel
Clutchmasters has a heavier pedal feel

ACT offers two lightweight flywheel options
Clutchmasters offers one lightweight flywheel option

ACT offers a 6 puck or a full face clutch disk
Clutchmasters offers a 6 puck or a full face clutch disk

ACT clutch/flywheel costs around $600
Clutchmasters clutch/flywheel costs over $800 I believe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalzo View Post
This^^I'm thinking of getting the Cluchmasters FX300, A lot of guys with FI are getting this. Lemme know what you think
@Scalzo Basically, read all above
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Raven604 (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #102
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtymay92 View Post
Can someone make a video of the noises the clutch makes?
i'll try to get one when the rain quits, but before then just go out in your can and start out in first, but bog it and almost stall. hear that gear noise, kinda sounds like a diesel truck? it's that, only at idle and louder.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
Justkiz (05-25-2014)
Old 07-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #103
lexusb3
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
i'll try to get one when the rain quits, but before then just go out in your can and start out in first, but bog it and almost stall. hear that gear noise, kinda sounds like a diesel truck? it's that, only at idle and louder.
It does get a little quieter as more miles on it but only a LITTLE bit lol, but to fix it is to turn the music up! or boost it and hear the turbo spool lol
lexusb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #104
d4wt

Drives: a couple + an frs
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
whatever you do, stay away from spec they are made here locally and i've had nothing but problems out of them on several applications.

exedy twin discs are the shit, but that's an expensive set up there. however there are a lot of exedy clutches that are decent depending on sprung/unsprung, and pucks, etc.

as mentioned clutchmasters may be a good choice as well.
d4wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #105
Matey

Drives: Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMotorsports View Post
I would recommend the AVO clutch and flywheel. I have driven Bob's car from @Drift-Office (Thank you again Bob), he has the AVO 15 lbs flywheel and the organic clutch in his AVO Turbo charged FRS. OMG!!! I loved the way it felt. just a slight touch stiffer then stock and the engagement was amazing. I did not notice and nose from while driving the car. I did not push the car as I do not own it, but the reason I was allowed to test the vehicle was to feel the AVO clutch and flywheel.

over the last 10 years I have felt several different clutch and the first impression of this clutch was amazing and I was sold on the spot. I will be ordering the ceramic disk and Ill share my impression upon install. According to BOB and Paul @AVOturboworld they will feel the same just handle the heat better because of the minerals.
anything about that clutch? im seriously looking into one now
Matey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #106
pmccut

Drives: Blue Subarus
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Based on everything I've read here, it should be totally possible to drive smoothly with the FX300. When I first drive the car in the morning it's only mildly worse than stock (this car's stock clutch is probably the easiest thing I've driven in some time..) and it pretty easy to drive smoothly. After 5-10 minutes and it's warmed up it's the hardest thing to engage smoothly. Stop and go traffic is miserably...so jerky. I've only seen one other guy drive the car with this clutch (Pete@WORKS) and he seemed to be having a hard time as well. What am I doing wrong...

There's a few hundred miles on this clutch so far.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #107
whitefrs
Love Boost!!!!!!!!

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I still have my AEM 6 puck with their lightest flywheel. I have the same noises everyone else has, but I have accepted them as having to pay to play. I like knowing I will never have to worry about the clutch slipping, and that I am getting better acceleration with the lighter flywheel.
are u having a noise while shifting?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #108
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccut View Post
Based on everything I've read here, it should be totally possible to drive smoothly with the FX300. When I first drive the car in the morning it's only mildly worse than stock (this car's stock clutch is probably the easiest thing I've driven in some time..) and it pretty easy to drive smoothly. After 5-10 minutes and it's warmed up it's the hardest thing to engage smoothly. Stop and go traffic is miserably...so jerky. I've only seen one other guy drive the car with this clutch (Pete@WORKS) and he seemed to be having a hard time as well. What am I doing wrong...

There's a few hundred miles on this clutch so far.
Are you trying to engage it quick? You need to give it good RPMs and slip it a bit before finally completely engaging it. If you try quick engage, it will grab really hard and it will be al quirky.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #109
whitefrs
Love Boost!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefrs View Post
are u having a noise while shifting?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTIemYP9zxc"]Weird Clutch noise - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from the moon
Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #110
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefrs View Post

Sent from the moon
Pedal needs some grease??
Old 08-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #111
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I put in a spec stage 2+ over the weekend. Uses stock flywheel. Feels almost identical to stock, slightly harder grab when engaging but not much. I plan to stop tuning around 300-320 whp, so torque won't be too much of an issue for me. Basically just outside the realm of the stock clutch.
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
wrxgoose (08-27-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #112
whitefrs
Love Boost!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Pedal needs some grease??