follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
Tectoniic
#FiftyShadesOfBlue

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 1,425 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Best way to set up new OFT

Long story short, I broke my OFT so I had to send it back to OpenFlash. I just received the replacement unit and it has no tuning files on it so I want to make sure I set it up correctly as I want the new unit to have a stock rom.

My car is currently running the stage 1 tune as i was not able to unmarry my previous OFT from my car before sending it back(this was due to the unit being broken not my laziness). If I plug in my new OFT and read from the car I believe it will consider the stage 1 tune I have on there as the "stock" tune.

Here is what I believe my options are:

1. Is there a way to grab my old OFT's tuning files/roms through OpenFlash manager?
I've been searching through the program and haven't found it yet.

2. Put a stock rom on my OFT -> Flash the car to stock tune -> Reset the OFT -> Read stock rom with reset OFT.
It looks like I should be able to do this with the erase data on device feature on OFM.

3. Have the dealership flash the stock tune back -> Read dealer stock tune with OFT -> Flash back to stage 1

4. Go on with my OFT thinking that the stage 1 is the stock tune.
I would really like to avoid this if possible.

Is there a much easier route that I missed and if not what do you think the best route would be?

Tectoniic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectoniic View Post
Long story short, I broke my OFT so I had to send it back to OpenFlash. I just received the replacement unit and it has no tuning files on it so I want to make sure I set it up correctly as I want the new unit to have a stock rom.

My car is currently running the stage 1 tune as i was not able to unmarry my previous OFT from my car before sending it back(this was due to the unit being broken not my laziness). If I plug in my new OFT and read from the car I believe it will consider the stage 1 tune I have on there as the "stock" tune.

Here is what I believe my options are:

1. Is there a way to grab my old OFT's tuning files/roms through OpenFlash manager?

2. Put a stock rom on my OFT -> Flash the car to stock tune -> Reset the OFT -> Read stock rom with reset OFT.
It looks like I should be able to do this with the erase data on device feature on OFM.

3. Have the dealership flash the stock tune back -> Read dealer stock tune with OFT -> Flash back to stage 1

Is there a much easier route that I missed and if not what do you think the best route would be?

No the OFM software does not store files itself. If you have a copy of the old roms on your PC you can load those. Else grab the latest @.07 tunes from Openflash downloads site.
If you still had old oft and it was working you could copy the files to PC then back to new OFT.

No . You will have to marry the OFT to the current tune in your car. Once married up the only way to unmarry is flash the original rom that OFT married to which in your case is probably not a stock rom.

look on the bright side you can now sell the car tuned and still sell the oft :-)

If you just want the stock rom to flash for dealer visits this is still possible, just load a stock rom into one of the five oft slots and flash the stock rom for dealer visits. I have most of the stock roms if you need one or check the Tactrix thread link below.

If your car currently has a tuned rom in it and you want the oft to marry to a stock tune this is one option.

Or buy a Tactrix adapter and do it yourself as dealer will probably charge you to flash likely arround same as tactrix adapter and then your not telling dealer you have a tune

This is the easiest option, probably go with that. Stage 1 tune is better than stock tune anyway and unless they start comparing hex files or checksums at dealer they will never know. And come sale time you can sell car with that tune no problem and also sell your unmarried oft , bonus !
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Tectoniic (12-24-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
Tectoniic
#FiftyShadesOfBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post

No the OFM software does not store files itself. If you have a copy of the old roms on your PC you can load those. Else grab the latest @.07 tunes from Openflash downloads site.
If you still had old oft and it was working you could copy the files to PC then back to new OFT.

No . You will have to marry the OFT to the current tune in your car. Once married up the only way to unmarry is flash the original rom that OFT married to which in your case is probably not a stock rom.

look on the bright side you can now sell the car tuned and still sell the oft :-)

If you just want the stock rom to flash for dealer visits this is still possible, just load a stock rom into one of the five oft slots and flash the stock rom for dealer visits. I have most of the stock roms if you need one or check the Tactrix thread link below.

If your car currently has a tuned rom in it and you want the oft to marry to a stock tune this is one option.

Or buy a Tactrix adapter and do it yourself as dealer will probably charge you to flash likely arround same as tactrix adapter and then your not telling dealer you have a tune

This is the easiest option, probably go with that. Stage 1 tune is better than stock tune anyway and unless they start comparing hex files or checksums at dealer they will never know. And come sale time you can sell car with that tune no problem and also sell your unmarried oft , bonus !
Your help is much appreciated as always steve! I should have put in the OP that the main reason I want the stock tune is that I am currently on the Stage 1 93 for the winter and I really want to have the stock tune for if there is not 93 around or when I do go to sell the car my conscience would not let me give someone a 93 tune without letting them know.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Your help is much appreciated as always steve! I should have put in the OP that the main reason I want the stock tune is that I am currently on the Stage 1 93 for the winter and I really want to have the stock tune for if there is not 93 around or when I do go to sell the car my conscience would not let me give someone a 93 tune without letting them know.
Dealer or Tactrix adapter .

Tactrix is probably best option as its a good backup to oft

what is your stock rom calid ?
Old 12-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Tectoniic
#FiftyShadesOfBlue

Quote:
Dealer or Tactrix adapter .

Tactrix is probably best option as its a good backup to oft
yep, i think thats what i will do!

Old 12-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
Tectoniic
#FiftyShadesOfBlue

Quote:
what is your stock rom calid ?
I think it is D00D off hand. US 6AT 2015 MY

Old 12-24-2015, 04:45 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Quote:
I think it is D00D off hand. US 6AT 2015 MY
here is a stock rom , just unzip it :-)
ZA1JD00D.zip

The Stock tune is designed to run 93 but will run 91 with reduced power by dropping IAM

the oft tune will do pretty much the same think if you run 91 on it it will drop IAM to less than 1