follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
runfrodorun

Drives: Red 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Transmission Synchro Warranty Work

Hi Guys,

I called up a dealer in my area to try to get some warranty work done; basically I think I need a new transmission. I bought the car used two and a half years ago with less than 20k miles on it, and since the day I got it, the synchros felt like they were beaten to shit. I mean so bad that even if the guy was racing the thing without ever touching the clutch it still shouldn't have been that bad.

Of course, it's a runaway problem, and it's at the point where shifting from third to fourth, if you don't double clutch and perfectly RPM match the middle section of the transmission, it grinds for like 1/4 second with the clutch all the way in. It's really sickening. I do have problems with all the gears but 4th is disgustingly bad, like it doesn't have synchros at all. I'm at about 33k miles now.

The dealer said that I am still under warranty, but they want me to agree to pay $500 for the teardown/diagnostic fee in the event that 'they find that it's not something that's covered under warranty'

I do understand that this type of thing can be caused by user error, but all of my cars have been manual as long as I can remember, and the BMW has the original transmission at 200k miles and shifts like it's new. My honda was original transmission at 160k miles when I sold it and it shifts like it is new. Hell I drove a model A that didn't even have synchros and it felt like it shifted easier than this. It's not for a lack of knowing how to drive.

So I'm just asking if this is an issue that you guys have encountered with dealer work as well; I feel like I shouldn't have to pay them 500 dollars only for them to just say 'trust us, it's not covered we swear' and give me back a car that still needs a new transmission even though I have a drivetrain warranty. I mean the symptom is there, and it's not like a mouse ate my synchros.

If they won't fix this I'm probably going to do the weapons grade performance LS2 swap just so I can have a transmission that doesn't suck **** because it's made by toyota.

Another alternative question: Does the Perrin transmission mount really make the thing shift smoother? is the upgrade worth it just for transmission preservation alone?

What do you think?
runfrodorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I had issues with grinding going into 4th and 5th gear. I brought the car in, they took it for a 2 minute test drive, came back and said, "Yup, you're getting a new transmission," gave me a loaner, and two days later I got my car back with a new transmission. It was effortless, and a very pleasant experience, actually.

http://www.seriesblueadventures.com/...nder-warranty/

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
runfrodorun

Drives: Red 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, I’ll set up an appointment and get them to drive it. I agree they should be able to decide just by driving it.
runfrodorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just to reinforce it, I had mine done a few weeks ago and I had to pay nothing out of pocket, not even for diagnosing.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by runfrodorun View Post
Hi Guys,

I called up a dealer in my area to try to get some warranty work done; basically I think I need a new transmission. I bought the car used two and a half years ago with less than 20k miles on it, and since the day I got it, the synchros felt like they were beaten to shit. I mean so bad that even if the guy was racing the thing without ever touching the clutch it still shouldn't have been that bad....
You yourself are not the user error, but there's a potential the previous owner did not really know how to drive and really beat up those synchros and that's the problem.

Aside from that, just take it in, have them drive it so they can see how bad they are.

Good luck!!

You should do an LS swap though
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Does your car look modded? What exactly have you told the dealer? Have you already given them good reasons to deny the repair as a warranty case? Maybe I'm just pessimistic but it sounds like they're preparing you for denial. If the synchros are toast then they are toast. I don't see how opening it up is going to change anything.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
dutchman1

Drives: 2017 86 6-Speed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Based on the common issues with these cars it is most likely to be the synchros, as you're thinking.

However, if it's happening in all gears it could just be your clutch being shot/out of adjustment too. Just a thought.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Does your car look modded? What exactly have you told the dealer? Have you already given them good reasons to deny the repair as a warranty case? Maybe I'm just pessimistic but it sounds like they're preparing you for denial. If the synchros are toast then they are toast. I don't see how opening it up is going to change anything.
My car was on coilovers, aftermarket exhaust, wider wheels and tires, and an SCCA season tech sticker, and SCCA Championship sticker, and they didn't ask any questions.

4th and 5th gear synchros don't really get a lot of abuse in hard driving anyway.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
Old 10-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
gtengr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
My car was on coilovers, aftermarket exhaust, wider wheels and tires, and an SCCA season tech sticker, and SCCA Championship sticker, and they didn't ask any questions.
Sounds like op needs be going to your dealer.

Quote:
4th and 5th gear synchros don't really get a lot of abuse in hard driving anyway.
That's not a very good defense when it comes to modded cars and warranty work on parts that experience normal wear and tear.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #10
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Man that's terrible. I hope it you get resolved.

On my car I'm the orginal buyer and at 70k and my car shifts like a beauty. Don't be satisfied until it's all good, since it's under warranty. Sounds like the previous owner was a serious fool trying to drive stick. I wish you the best man and hope it all works out.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #11
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
That's not a very good defense when it comes to modded cars and warranty work on parts that experience normal wear and tear.
Sure, but it's a good, reasonable response to a reasonable dealer. I'm lucky to get into 3rd in autocross. I never use 4th or 5th in any competition or racing.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #12
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
yeah it seems to be such a crapshoot if dealer a will react as dealer b and make it so easy unquestionably replacing parts. lucky for those where the process is painless.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #13
gtengr

Quote:
Sure, but it's a good, reasonable response to a reasonable dealer. I'm lucky to get into 3rd in autocross. I never use 4th or 5th in any competition or racing.
There's plenty of 4th gear action on a road course, even more so with modded cars. And besides that, OP is having trouble in all gears.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #14
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by runfrodorun View Post
So I'm just asking if this is an issue that you guys have encountered with dealer work as well; I feel like I shouldn't have to pay them 500 dollars only for them to just say 'trust us, it's not covered we swear' and give me back a car that still needs a new transmission even though I have a drivetrain warranty. I mean the symptom is there, and it's not like a mouse ate my synchros.
Did you do any work with this dealer in the past?
Does your car have a history of service work with past dealers?
Do you have a complete history of all repair and maintenance work done on the car?

If you answered no to any of the above questions, a dealer asking you for a diagnostics fee is pretty straightforward, as their labor fee is not free.

The fee is usually refunded with warranty claim approval, or applied towards any non-warranty work in the future. Up to you if you want to take that risk.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote