follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2021, 06:11 PM   #15
jrhudson

Drives: 2016 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
Just get the IAG you get a warranty with it also. I got it but stayed NA.
Yea, Ive seen that. But i thought you had to have a IAG certified installer to do the install to get that warranty.

Last edited by jrhudson; 04-10-2021 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Extra
jrhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:24 PM   #16
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhudson View Post
Just cause im not sure. The spacer is the metal thing that the bolt goes into right? And theres a little positioning dowel/pin on it right? If it that is the crank spacer yea its not budging or moving by hand.
Yes that is the crank pulley spacer, it is a slip fit. With the crank pulley removed the only thing holding it in place is friction from the seal and possibly some friction interference from the oil pump since it drives it. It should be fairly free.

In this thread they talk about it accidentally coming unseated from the key on the timing gear pulley.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26386

You can also see it on the diagram in this post, there is nothing holding it in place but friction once the bolt is removed.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=306
Old 04-10-2021, 06:31 PM   #17
jrhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Yes that is the crank pulley spacer, it is a slip fit. With the crank pulley removed the only thing holding it in place is friction from the seal and possibly some friction interference from the oil pump since it drives it. It should be fairly free.

In this thread they talk about it accidentally coming unseated from the key on the timing gear pulley.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26386

You can also see it on the diagram in this post, there is nothing holding it in place but friction once the bolt is removed.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=306
Thanks!

So that orange gasket is the front main seal right? And smaller o ring is for the crank pulley spacer right?
I wonder why mine isnt coming out. I wonder if its those o ring/gaskets stopping it. Or something in the block is stopping it
Old 04-10-2021, 06:37 PM   #18
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhudson View Post
Thanks!

So that orange gasket is the front main seal right? And smaller o ring is for the crank pulley spacer right?
I wonder why mine isnt coming out. I wonder if its those o ring/gaskets stopping it. Or something in the block is stopping it
Yes, that is the front main seal, it is that color because it is viton, a high heat material.

Did the ratchet on the crank bolt hit anything? I guess it is possible it bent the snout of the crank. It would have wedged the oil pump in it's housing if that is what happened. I would be very surprised if that is what happened but at this point who knows. I'd imagine if you turned it over by hand with the pulley on you would see it walk if that was the case.

@Ultramaroon any thoughts?
jrhudson (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 06:50 PM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I think the crank is bent and the harmonic balancer is wedged on there.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:54 PM   #20
jrhudson

Quote:
Yes, that is the front main seal, it is that color because it is viton, a high heat material.

Did the ratchet on the crank bolt hit anything? I guess it is possible it bent the snout of the crank. It would have wedged the oil pump in it's housing if that is what happened. I would be very surprised if that is what happened but at this point who knows. I'd imagine if you turned it over by hand with the pulley on you would see it walk if that was the case.

@Ultramaroon any thoughts?
I recall on start up after the clutch install there was a loud metallic thunk. So im assuming it hit the metal underpanel or the headers.

First pic is just the spacer with the pulley and bolt off. The spacer isnt flush with the front main seal.
second pic is i recreated of what i found when the car eventually died on the side of the road minus the crank pulley cause im lazy to put it back. The bolt was hitting the oil cooler lines. Probably saved it from completely falling out

Also the ratchet was on un-tighten setting when it was left on there so thats probably how it eventually unthreaded.
@NoHaveMSG
About turning the crank by hand, It stops turning after maybe about maybe 180degrees. Is that normal? I tried with alot of force to turn it. The car is in neutral.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2021, 07:01 PM   #21
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Yeah, I think the crank is bent for sure looking at those pics.
jrhudson (04-10-2021), Ultramaroon (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 07:30 PM   #22
jrhudson

Quote:
Yeah, I think the crank is bent for sure looking at those pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I think the crank is bent and the harmonic balancer is wedged on there.

so what you guys are saying is. @NoHaveMSG signature applies here? aww shoot. now i wish i drove it like i stole it lol. dang it. only like 70k on it.

Of course it would be the only piece that most people dont replace when they do a built motor since that from the factory i heard is pretty strong.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:23 PM   #23
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

I take it back.. I don't know what's going on. I thought you couldn't get the H-balancer off for some reason. If the screw backed out and it was driven, then what happened and what exactly did you have to reinstall?

It looks fine in your photo. If it jams while you're turning it, something else failed internally.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:44 PM   #24
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

Just making sure. You shouldn't need to tear the heads down so far as to mess with the springs and valves if your heads are in good shape. Make sure you prep, prep, prep. I recommend printing out the sealant application "maps" from the manual ahead of time. Follow them very carefully.

Printing the recall instructions is even better. The original manual is a lot less detailed on the packing seal application. The recall instructions are dummy proof.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
jrhudson (04-10-2021), NoHaveMSG (04-10-2021), Ultramaroon (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 10:21 PM   #25
jrhudson

Quote:
I take it back.. I don't know what's going on. I thought you couldn't get the H-balancer off for some reason. If the screw backed out and it was driven, then what happened and what exactly did you have to reinstall?

It looks fine in your photo. If it jams while you're turning it, something else failed internally.
I reinstalled the pulley, bolt and the accessory belt on. It was driven about 5-6 miles before the car died from the battery.

I suspected the pistons are hitting the valves. But wont know till I pull the motor. Thanks guys.

Ill post the pictures of what i find. When i do the eventually pull and teardown.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrhudson For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 11:13 PM   #26
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:

Based on this:
Quote:
About turning the crank by hand, It stops turning after maybe about maybe 180degrees.
I think it is binding the oil pump since the crank shaft pulley spacer is what drives it.
jrhudson (04-11-2021), Ultramaroon (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 11:46 PM   #27
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I think it is binding the oil pump since the crank shaft pulley spacer is what drives it.
I had the same feeling but my next thought was that it would've been munched had it failed while the engine was running. o_0

Old 04-11-2021, 12:23 AM   #28
jrhudson

Quote:
I had the same feeling but my next thought was that it would've been munched had it failed while the engine was running. o_0

i mean....it might have. it sounds so terrible. i left out a part where after the initial part where the car died from the battery. I had one of those portable battery car jumper things. I just wanted to get home with the car so i waited about 20-30 minutes for the water temps to cool down. Jumped it, it started then it died about 1000ft later.

Quote:
it would've been munched had it failed while the engine was running. o_0
this might have actually happened. or at least something got munched
The Following User Says Thank You to jrhudson For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-11-2021)