follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: Which one would you rather?
Nissan Z 89 69.53%
Toyota Supra 39 30.47%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #561
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I'm sorry, but having driven a few of Nissan's recent cars.. I just don't like how their drivelines feel. Their regulars cars ( Sentra, Altima, Rogue) all feel they are held together with bubblegum. There's just no way if I spent that amount of money on a car I could trust it to just be issue free.

Now after a test drive verified that the car was in fact not shit, and I actually had some sentiment of enjoyment, I would likely welcome it over BMYota's car. But as a mostly unbiased buyer (I don't like Nissan, BMW, or Toyota products after the 90s aside out cars), I'd stay even farther from Nissan than I would Toyota or BMW. At least Toyota feels quality, and BMW is quality.

One thing that worries me a bit about the new Z is actually the powerplant. I’ve read multiple stories of people having boost leaks/blown turbos on the 3.0TT models, even people who bought them CPO. No idea how those cars were driven though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2020, 04:01 PM   #562
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
As I said in Random but just to catch the thread up, needs a new hood similar to the legacy Zs, then I would agree with you. It would break it up and allow for potential mods under the hood.
This is one of those things where even if they don't go with a hood like this, aftermarket hood companies likely will produce one.

Even with our cars there are things where it's silly that OEM didn't change or include a certain bit, and then aftermarket producers created that thing anyway.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #563
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
It is all speculation. I think they will keep the entry price cheap in the low to mid $30k’s. Currently, the entry is $31k and the Nismo is $45k. They could make the car more premium like the Supra, but I doubt it. The VR30 is essentially a VQ with turbos, and it is the new standard, so I don’t expect that it will significantly raise the price. I would be shocked if the entry level Z was $40k.
Imagine if they do price it at $35k. RIP 2nd gen 86 and Zupra. :p
Old 09-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #564
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post
One thing that worries me a bit about the new Z is actually the powerplant. I’ve read multiple stories of people having boost leaks/blown turbos on the 3.0TT models, even people who bought them CPO. No idea how those cars were driven though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even if the cars are driven hard, there should be QA testing to encompass all use case scenarios and ensure reliability with their product in any use case, in stock form. If Saab, Subaru, and VW can do it, Nissan should be able to. Poor design leading to overheating of the CHRA or poor oiling nobody's fault but Nissan's
Old 09-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #565
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Might as well throw my 2 cents in (and certainly worth much less than that...)

Major kudos to Nissan for wanting to build a manual transmission car at a time when increasingly fewer people want sticks. There are obviously still some gearheads working over there (probably not the same people who were scheming and plotting Ghosn's demise). Big thumbs up to any manufacturer that realizes what a manual transmission stands for and continues to offer one.

To my old-school eyes, the 400Z (or whatever they're going to call it) looks good. It's clean and without contrived frippery (I'm looking at you Supra), but I wouldn't exactly call it drop-dead gorgeous or beautiful. To my eyes it's almost maybe a little too clean and simple, though I'd rather have that than overwrought. I think the current BRZ/86 is actually prettier than the Z, with more flowing, organic curves (those sensuous front fender bulges I'm always crooning about), and I even think the current 370Z is more distinctive and interesting than the 400Z. But they had to revamp the styling for the new car, and better simpler than overdone.

I also think the interior of the current 370Z looks a bit more interesting (and I don't give a crap how 'dated' it might be). IMHO the biggest area for improvement with the 370Z interior would be the quality of the materials. The 370Z's interior plastics feel cheap, hard, and crackly like an 1980's Kia. If the 400Z upgrades the tactile feel of the interior, it will be a big improvement. Otherwise, it seems to have the requisite big touch-screen infotainment display and LCD instrument panel most people seem to want (I'd much prefer gen-u-ine old-school analog mechanical gauges, but there's less chance of those coming back than of Trump ever uttering something intelligent).

I'd also prefer a bigger-displacement naturally aspirated engine over a smaller-displacement turbo, even if the latter has more power. I'd prefer the current 3.7 liter VQ 332 hp engine to a 3.0 liter 400 hp one, just because I'm not generally a fan of the non-linear rubber-band feel and strangled sound of most turbo motors. But, turbos are the future, so they're here to stay.

Some of the details could stand to be cleaned up and improved a bit, like the front 'grill" and rear tailight panel. But overall, I think it's so much more desirable than the Supra - cleaner styling, more power, lower price, and most of all, a manual transmission!!

I'm thrilled they're making it, though let's hope Nissan sticks around long enough to actually build and sell it and doesn't go bankrupt or get acquired by another company. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I'm just a teeny tiny bit underwhelmed with the car. It's impossible to really get a good sense of it from internet pics. I want to see it in person, and color will make a huge difference for me. I may well be seduced into giving up my BRZ for one of these, but I'm not so enthralled with what I saw today that I'd be willing to put a deposit down without seeing and driving one for myself first. Yes, it will definitely be much faster than the current or next-gen BRZ/86, but that's not my only or even top priority. I'm interested in the whole package, the exterior and interior styling, the performance, and simply how it feels to me in various driving conditions. I don't care about bragging rights to 0-60 or Nurburgring lap times or other "numbers" plucked from road tests that few drivers ever actually generate themselves. If I can get my butt into a Z it will tell me all I need to know.

YMMV.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-16-2020), Myriad (11-03-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #566
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
Imagine if they do price it at $35k. RIP 2nd gen 86 and Zupra. :p
I wouldn’t say that. The Supra sells even with a Mustang GT or Camaro SS being cheaper, and the 86 sells with those pony cars performing better.

For some, the extra 400lbs of weight this thing could have over an 86 is a deal breaker, and for others, the Z might not have enough class for them or whatever features might not be available on the Z, so they will get the Supra.

But in general, if someone spec’d an LSD and leather and a few other things, and it was still under $40k then yes, it would be appealing.
vh_supra26 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #567
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Confirming speculation about the 400Z underpinnings, project chief explains what’s un

https://www.400zclub.com/forum/threa...nderneath.107/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
HKz (09-16-2020), Irace86.2.0 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #568
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn’t say that. The Supra sells even with a Mustang GT or Camaro SS being cheaper, and the 86 sells with those pony cars performing better.

For some, the extra 400lbs of weight this thing could have over an 86 is a deal breaker, and for others, the Z might not have enough class for them or whatever features might not be available on the Z, so they will get the Supra.

But in general, if someone spec’d an LSD and leather and a few other things, and it was still under $40k then yes, it would be appealing.
Right but the Z will most likely be similar in size and weight to the Zupra. I bet the $5-$10k off MSRP is also playing a role.

It may not completely steal the show from the 86 2.0, but there seems to be a lot of people here that are interested.

Agree, hoping this will be a good buy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-16-2020), WildCard600 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #569
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
Right but the Z will most likely be similar in size and weight to the Zupra. I bet the $5-$10k off MSRP is also playing a role.

It may not completely steal the show from the 86 2.0, but there seems to be a lot of people here that are interested.

Agree, hoping this will be a good buy.
I’m just saying the Supra is in a different class, which I get not everyone agrees. I see the Z as a pony car, as the Z with a 240SX below it, which is where the Supra is. I think many people will cross shop hot hatches, the miata, 86, pony cars, etc. In the end, this could be a very appealing package that steals buyers from those other brands, but in the end, I don’t think it will be significant because different strokes for different folks.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:21 PM   #570
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
I’m just saying the Supra is in a different class, which I get not everyone agrees. I see the Z as a pony car, as the Z with a 240SX below it, which is where the Supra is. I think many people will cross shop hot hatches, the miata, 86, pony cars, etc. In the end, this could be a very appealing package that steals buyers from those other brands, but in the end, I don’t think it will be significant because different strokes for different folks.
Whether they are or not is a moot point. People will cross shop regardless. What I'm saying is Toyota could be in trouble if they don't change or at least adjust the formula to better adjust to the competition.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #571
WildCard600

Drives: 2020 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If the new Z is indeed coming in at mid 30's, the new eight six is gonna need a nagasaki noizy boi.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WildCard600 For This Useful Post:
gymratter (09-16-2020), HachiRokuX (09-16-2020), NoHaveMSG (09-16-2020), vh_supra26 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #572
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Even if the cars are driven hard, there should be QA testing to encompass all use case scenarios and ensure reliability with their product in any use case, in stock form. If Saab, Subaru, and VW can do it, Nissan should be able to. Poor design leading to overheating of the CHRA or poor oiling nobody's fault but Nissan's
One of those isn't around anymore...
Another is more and more owned by a different company...
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #573
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm sorry, but having driven a few of Nissan's recent cars.. I just don't like how their drivelines feel. Their regulars cars ( Sentra, Altima, Rogue) all feel they are held together with bubblegum. There's just no way if I spent that amount of money on a car I could trust it to just be issue free.

Now after a test drive verified that the car was in fact not shit, and I actually had some sentiment of enjoyment, I would likely welcome it over BMYota's car. But as a mostly unbiased buyer (I don't like Nissan, BMW, or Toyota products after the 90s aside out cars), I'd stay even farther from Nissan than I would Toyota or BMW. At least Toyota feels quality, and BMW is quality.
I agree, there's a long list of things I need to know and do before I would ever actually buy one. But that same list exists for the Supra too.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:43 PM   #574
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
One of those isn't around anymore...
Another is more and more owned by a different company...
Yeah exactly! Pretty sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I agree, there's a long list of things I need to know and do before I would ever actually buy one. But that same list exists for the Supra too.
At least I know flat out that I wouldn't ever be in the Supra :P the Z isn't out yet so we don't know
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Spuds (09-16-2020)

Closed Thread